The Mantooth
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2018 by Christopher Leadem

The Mantis appeared at the entrance of his cave about an hour after sunrise. Kalus and the wolf had waited by the opening of the smaller enclosure, and knew without being told that he was ready with an answer.

Seeing them high above, Skither raised one foreclaw and summoned them to come down. As they drew closer he stepped out slowly toward the center of the ledge. He wanted to choose the right words.

He exchanged simple greetings with the wolf, nodding passively at Kalus. He addressed Akar first, and after several minutes the wolf nodded his understanding and moved to wait at a far corner of the ledge, without giving any indication what the answer had been. Turning his attention to Kalus, the Mantis signaled his words slowly and carefully.

‘Son of the hill-tribe, I have made my decision. I have thought long on your words, and on other things you do not know. Understand, I have good reason to mistrust your kinsmen. But Akar tells me you are not like them, and I accept his judgment.’ He stopped for a moment, genuinely moved by the man-child’s countenance: the troubled face, exhausted by hope and fear alike.

‘I have decided to let you stay, young one. But under the following conditions. You will remain in the smaller cave, using my own only at greatest need. Further, you must be prepared to leave it upon my return, twenty days, perhaps more. You may fool my enemies for a time, but it is unwise to think you could hold them off longer. I will circle the mountain twice, giving credence to your sound-making device. Beyond that you are on your own. I will give Akar the rest of my thoughts. He stands in my place while I am gone. Heed him well, I do not place my trust in him lightly ... Do you hear my words?’

‘Yes, master. I am grateful.’ He wanted badly to leave, but the Mantis’ knowing gaze would not release him.

‘Is there nothing else you would say to me?’

Kalus’ heart sank. He KNEW! Despair overtook him at the last.

‘I--- I took from your cave a weapon. Please believe me, it was not for myself alone. If you had banished us from the mountain ... I have only this knife.’ He threw it weakly to the ground.

Skither waited patiently, and at length Kalus looked up at him. Again he signaled slowly. ‘Be at peace. I am not angry. You may keep the sword, and one other weapon of your choosing.’ Kalus stared in disbelief.

‘You please me, Kalus, though you do not know it. I see that you learned long ago the lesson of self-reliance. Now you must learn a harder lesson still: when to trust. What you did this night took great courage; you have not changed my mind against you. Only. Hear me, Kalus, I do not give my thoughts easily. Sometimes it is better to trust, even at the price of great pain ... Your heart will know. But do not carry the weight alone. It will crush you.

‘That is all. Be at peace.’ Kalus lifted the knife and moved away. But as he walked stiffly toward the steep but passable incline, he felt love for the Monarch swell his heart to bursting, and hard tears pushing at his eyes. As he climbed to rejoin the girl, Akar went with Skither into his cave to receive further instruction. Sylviana met her new friend on the parapet.

‘What did he say?’

Kalus did not answer at once, but took her by the hand and led her to the one place in the enclosure where both could stand without stooping. Reaching it he embraced her, but did not cry. He backed away, then sat down to gather his thoughts.

‘We can stay, until his return, at least.’

She knelt before him. ‘What about the sword?’

‘I was right. He did see me. But he is not angry, and he said that I could keep it. He said I was very brave.’

‘That’s because you are.’

‘No.’ He looked across at her sternly. ‘Sylviana. You must know, this is only a beginning. I am grateful for your compassion last night, and I am in your debt. But there is still much work to do, and much danger. There are so many ways that the Wild can beat us ... And we must be prepared to leave here in twenty days.’

‘Yes. I know.’ Her tone was lowered. ‘But at least you’re not alone.’ She reached out and touched his beard with the back of her fingers. He moved the hand away, but without anger or secret pain. It was morning still.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close