Star Guardian
Chapter 3: Life Aboard A Freighter

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Travel to the freighter via shuttle was uneventful. We were still in Tian controlled space, so we travelled without delay. I was glad when we docked with the Opolu Naa.

“Permission to come aboard,” I said in my best Ori.

“Permission granted. Welcome aboard Brian,” captain Jegho was here to greet me personally. “I understand you experienced trouble planet-side, but you can tell me about it later. We should depart as soon as you’re aboard and the shuttle undocks. Any delay could give Tian system control an opportunity to stop us.”

They directed me to my assigned quarters, where I dropped off my gear. I didn’t have assigned duty, so I was unsure what to do next.

The Opolu Naa was leaving the solar system. Tian Prime was out of sight, as if I cared about it. I didn’t. I had scores to settle with many there, including those who nearly messed up my plans. They’d have to wait until I return, but I wouldn’t forget them.

In my cabin, I used my ID chip to log in to a workstation. It was like those I’d used on Tian Prime, only the language was in Ori. I had to learn the protocols aboard the freighter. I discovered a helpful section of training videos, so I dug in. After each video was a test. It wasn’t too difficult, and it helped me to listen to the language, including technical terms used aboard the freighter. I had to stop mentally translating into Tian.

An alarm distracted my training, warning that the hyper-drive was coming online. Soon I could feel a low hum, and I knew we were on our way. Interstellar flight needs a tremendous amount of power, but until you experience it aboard a vessel, you can’t grasp it. As a shuttle pilot, I was used to sub-light speeds. This was so much more.

An hour later, I no longer noticed the hum. I’d finished the basic training material. Several crew members had stopped by, and greeted me during that time. They were all friendly, and much less reserved than Tians. Because of my upbringing, it was rather a culture shock. It was also different, not being the tallest person in the room. In fact, no-one was shorter than me.

On the workstation, I viewed my profile to see what the ambassador had done. He’d cancelled my work visa, granted me full Ori citizenship, and hired me as part of his diplomatic personnel. As of today, I reported to the captain aboard the Opolu Naa for unspecified duties. Well, that made sense. Freighter captains would be a diplomatic representative to each system they visit. And I had a new diplomatic passport.

I started a new list for beings I was thankful for. The Ori ambassador had the honour of being first on my list, and I suspect captain Jegho would join him soon. Sadly, no Tians earned a place on the list. It was a sad testimony that, until now, I hadn’t needed a second list. Perhaps after I cooled off, my view would change. Right now, my experience at the spaceport left me seething.

Later I got a summons to meet with captain Jegho. He had an office near the bridge. When I got there, he was sitting at his desk, studying reports on his workstation.

“Come in, Brian,” he said, smiling. His office was more fancy than something you’d find on a Tian vessel. I sat down opposite him. “How are you enjoying your first day aboard?”

“Good, sir. I’m very glad I made it aboard,” I said.

“Yes, I heard from the ambassador you had trouble leaving. Did you know you’re the first Tian serving aboard an Ori vessel?” he asked.

“No sir, that’s news to me.”

“Tians rarely work on foreign vessels. You’re the first one to approach us for work, Brian.”

“Tians are distant and uncommunicative. I’ve felt like I didn’t belong, and had a strong desire to leave since I can remember. As I grew older, I distanced myself from other Tians.” I said.

“One thing I’d like to emphasize here. You’re Tian, but you’re more than Tian. You now also have citizenship in the Ori Confederation, so you’re as much Ori as Tian. I understand that your birth species is Human. If you were playing cards, I’d say you’ve got an interesting hand. How you play that hand depends on you.” He stared at me as I considered his words, and then I nodded.

“While aboard this freighter and under my command, you’re part of the crew. Just like the ambassador, I have your best interests at heart. I take care of my crew and in return, I expect your loyalty, to me, to your fellow crewmates, and to this freighter. If you ever encounter a situation where you’re unclear where your loyalties lie, come talk to me. Do you understand?” the captain looked at me all serious.

“I understand, sir. You won’t have any trouble with me,” I said. My eyes mirrored his serious stare. I knew we’d just made a contract.

He smiled. I’d have to learn all these visible expressions that were so un-Tian. “I didn’t expect there would be any trouble. We’re a family here and we live and work in proximity. Any issues you can’t resolve peacefully, bring it to me and I will settle it. Make friends with your crewmates. Be there for them and they’ll back you up when you need it. Your ID says you’re on the diplomatic team, assigned to me. Being a diplomat requires you to connect with others. We meet beings of all races and with all different mannerisms. Your former life on Tian, being distant or aloof, won’t help you here. So your special assignment is to make friends, build connections, and earn their trust.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close