Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 5: Escape Pod

We sat in the escape pod for what seemed ages, trying to steady our breathing and listening for any signs of anything. An escape pod has one primary purpose, to allow crew or passengers to escape a ship. We couldn’t tell what was happening aboard the freighter. So we continued to wait.

Suddenly, we heard a loud explosion. It sounded like the freighter was being destroyed. Next, we heard a whoosh sound, as the escape pod we were in jettisoned out into space. I learned later that it was part of Ori safety protocols - in the event of a core explosion, all occupied escape pods launch.

Another stroke of fortune happened that wasn’t clear then. Our escape pod launched on the far side of the freighter. We hurtled into space, hidden by the exploding freighter. The pirates on the other side missed our escape, with their sensors temporarily blinded in the explosion.

Neither of us were in a state to appreciate it. It’s quite traumatic to be spat into the void, in a small capsule. We waited, expecting to be blasted at any moment. Pirates didn’t leave witnesses.

Like I said earlier, an escape pod is doesn’t have many windows. We couldn’t see what was happening. The pirates had plundered all they wanted from used to be our home. They moved their vessels back and fired their weapons at the freighter, triggering the last explosion.

We didn’t see the pirates again. Somehow we’d slipped away, and we didn’t know if anyone else had escaped. We were in a remote area of space, and probably no better off than our likely deceased crewmates.

The escape pod was quite small, with two seats surrounded by storage hatches. In front was a small control panel. We had no room to stand, and no artificial gravity. The pod was likely spinning as it travelled through space, so standing up made little sense. The leg room was ok, since they built it for Ori, who were taller than me. Much later, I experimented with the control panel and brought up a view of the outside; it was black - no surprise. I soon turned it off to save power.

Time passed slowly. Long after we left the freighter, the stress and adrenalin wore off. We both fell asleep. We slept for a long time in the escape pod as it travelled along silently through space. The pirates were far behind us now.

When I next awoke, I turned and saw Koluna looking at me. She still looked disturbed, judging by her facial expression.

I sat up and turned to the control panel. I studied the readings, which were in Ori. It had been about two days since the explosion. Where did the time go? We were in deep space and far from anywhere. I saw the emergency distress beacon wasn’t active, and so I activated it. The pirates might detect our beacon and come after us, but I figured the risk was low. They already got what they wanted, and a distress call would guarantee nothing of value. To not activate it would guarantee no vessel would find us. After I activated the beacon, I sat back.

Koluna spoke for the first time since we left the freighter. “The air recycling is working. We’ve food rations that should last awhile, and we don’t have a change of clothing. We might smell a bit in a few days, but we’ll survive.”

“I should be careful what I eat.” I said, “As I am different, the Ori rations may not be compatible. So what now?”

Koluna took my hand in hers and stared into my eyes.

She said, “The rations will be fine. Bri-an, I thank you for saving my life. I processed the events that happened, at least from my perspective. I don’t think I would be alive if you hadn’t brought me with you. In Ori culture, you and I have what we call a life-debt. That means I owe you my life.”

She focused her laser-like attention on me, and that made me feel strange. I blushed. “You don’t owe me anything, Koluna. I didn’t do that much. It was crazy, and I was acting on instinct. I missed the training on what to do when attacked by pirates. I don’t even know if such training exists. If the training exists, it clearly didn’t help the others.” I said.

I was babbling, but I couldn’t help it. When crammed into a small escape pod, there’s no separation. You can’t look away easily. It felt more intimate than I had ever experienced. At least there I had my cabin to retreat to.

“I don’t recall training on pirates, and if there was, I never took it either. When I signed up, I didn’t think about pirates, they don’t mention it in their recruiting videos. I thought the only excitement would be in negotiating purchases of cargo. In the smoke, I lost track of where I was. I would have died there. But then you came along and pulled me into this pod. Your arguing does not change the fact I still owe you a life-debt.”

“I don’t feel like I did anything. I feel bad that I didn’t do more to save others,” I said. My hand felt warm in hers. Tians rarely hold hands, so it was infinitely more noticeable to me.

“A lot of good Ori citizens died a meaningless death back there.” She said sadly.

“Yes, I miss Captain Jegho especially. He was very kind to me. I understand now that such kindness is normal for Ori culture. But I grew up on Tian Prime, and Tians keep their distance. He was the first to treat me with kindness.”

Koluna was still holding my hand, but she didn’t let it go. In fact, she held on firmly and held my eye contact for a few moments while she continued to study my face. I felt awkward, unsure where to look. Tians don’t stare at your face like that.

“I agree that most Tians aren’t very warm, no offence meant. We Ori aren’t so reserved as Tians, as you have learned.” She paused. “But you’re not like any Tian I have known.”

“It’s a long story.”

She smiled at me. Her face was inches away from me. “I’m pretty sure we have time.”

She might be the last being I would spend time with, so I pushed aside my usual reserved nature and shared with her.

“My species isn’t Tian. I am a human. Humans are a primitive non space-faring race. About 20 cycles ago, Tian scientists took my mother from her home planet as a specimen for study. They missed the fact that she was pregnant with me. I was born on Tian Prime, and thus I am a Tian by birth. I am the only non-Tian with Tian citizenship.

“My mother died about 4 cycles ago, leaving me the only human on Tian Prime. After she died, I lived in an orphanage. After I reached the age of maturity, I applied for work aboard the Opolu Naa. The authorities didn’t like the idea of me leaving the planet, but I had help from the Ori Ambassador and, of course, captain Jegho. I believe I’m the only space-faring being of my species. I am also the first from Tian Prime to have served aboard an Ori vessel.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close