Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 6: Rescue

Koluna and I became pretty close, expecting to die together when the power or supplies ran out. I’d never shared a closeness with another being before. There were many issues with intimacy and customs between different species to worry about. The Tians differed from me and were emotionally distant, so they had no appeal to me. In the later cycles on Tian Prime, I developed a contempt for them.

Koluna was more like me, except taller. A perfect contrast to a Tian. The Ori taught me about friendship, to have something like a proper family. From this perilous adventure in an escape pod with Koluna, I also got to experience closeness with a female.

I had no clues about physical or genetic compatibility between human and Ori. It dissuaded me from doing anything more, even though events had placed us together in a small space. I was glad how things had progressed, and content to enjoy our time together before our impending death.

I could learn more about cultural differences just by talking with Koluna. She was easy to talk with. Her notion of a life-debt, or the short time we had left, made her keen to answer even my dumbest questions.

If I had been more experienced, I would have figured that our shared experiences, and facing death together, our closeness and the intimate setting, had forged a bond between us. I just knew I was glad to spend my last days with Koluna, and she with me.

But death didn’t greet us so soon. Unknown to us, a cloaked probe within range had picked up the distress call from our escape pod and relayed it to a nearby vessel of an ancient race known as the Baglogi. It was one of a number that monitored this section of the Galaxy. The AI of the Baglogi vessel changed course to intercept the escape pod, based on three criteria:

  1. The Baglogi vessel was in the area, with a chance of intercepting the escape pod before its occupants ran out of air.

  2. Our escape pod was far into deep space. We had no hope of rescue by any other vessels.

  3. A bio scan showed two occupants, both alive, and one life sign closely matched to that of a Baglogi.

The third item triggered a response. The AI of the Baglogi vessel was currently running a protocol that put a high value on possible Baglogi lives. A chance it could be a living Baglogi was reason enough to decide.

So a while later, our escape pod found itself within a shuttle bay of the same Baglogi vessel, with a suitable atmosphere, gravity, light and temperature established.

Inside our escape pod, the control panel woke us up with an alert that there was a change outside. I could also feel we now had gravity. For the first time in days, my body pressed into my seat. Things were not floating around inside.

With cautious optimism, I activated the display to show that we were no longer in deep space, but within what appeared to be the hold of a larger ship. The walls and ceiling were a metallic grey, with no visible markings or insignia.

“What do we do now?” I asked Koluna.

“I think it’s safe to assume they’re not pirates, or they’d have used us for target practice. It’s probably safe to get out.” Said Koluna.

“I agree. The timing couldn’t have been better, we’re running low on food and water.” I said.

After verifying it was indeed safe to exit, I opened the hatch. We both climbed wearily out of the escape pod and sank to the deck.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close