Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 7: The Baglogi

Sometime later, I awoke. I didn’t know how long I had been asleep. Koluna remained sleeping with her head against my shoulder. Over the time we spent in the escape pod, I had grown quite comfortable with her proximity. She was the first female I’d ever been physically close with. I’d have remained there, enjoying the contact a while longer, if I didn’t need to visit the washroom. I gently eased her off me so I could get up and use the washroom. She was still sleeping when I returned.

The very comfortable proximity with Koluna tempted me to return to my sleep, but I was getting hungry. After eating rations in the escape pod, the small galley promised decent food. Of course, you have to be careful that any food you consume isn’t toxic to you. I waved my arm (with my embedded ID chip) over the display on the food dispenser, and it came to life. It asked me to select a language, and in the choices offered, there included both Tian and Ori. I noticed the list included language that looked like the one from Earth that my mother had tried (and failed) to teach me.

I selected Tian. I almost picked Ori, but Tian was familiar, and I was hungry. It then offered me various familiar and more palatable Tian foods from back home. I picked something I often ate in the mornings, together with a beverage. Soon I sat at a table, with a reasonable likeness of the food and drink I chose. For a brief while, I reminisced about my time back on Tian Prime. Mother cooked little beyond my early years, and so I grew up with Tian cuisine.

In the back of my head, I was already thinking about our new hosts, examining my surroundings. I noticed the size of the furniture fit our needs. It suggested whoever was on this vessel was about our size.

Hmm, similar sized race, compatible food and atmosphere, they knew Tian and Ori languages. The food dispenser was compatible with my embedded ID chip. It must be a space-faring race that had contact with Tian and the Ori Confederation. Our situation was getting better the more I thought about it.

Then Koluna finally awoke, and she followed the same path I had upon waking. She got various Ori food and drink and pulled up a chair beside me. We sat together at the table eating quietly, proximity restored, and wondering about what was going to happen next. I shared with Koluna my thoughts about our new hosts.


After enjoying a significant amount of breakfast together, we remained at the table. With no windows and little else to occupy me, I began getting frustrated. Koluna was too. Finally, Koluna said out loud, “Hello, can anyone hear us?”

The voice from before replied in Ori, “I’ve informed the captain that you’re awake, and she will join you soon.”

Well, at least they heard us. Perhaps they’d also been watching us. Koluna and I sat in what we hoped was a non-threatening pose at the table and waited. Soon, a door opened and in walked what appeared to be a human female. She looks young for a captain.

She wore a coverall uniform, with no distinguishable rank insignia. Without delay, she greeted us both in Ori and took a seat facing us.

“Welcome aboard. My name is Jem. I am captain of this Baglogi ship. We were in the area when we picked up your distress signal.” Said Jem.

“We’re extremely glad you found us. We thought we were done for. My name is Koluna, and this is Brian.” Said Koluna.

Then I noticed her eyes. There was something familiar, and then I remembered something about a dream, cycles ago, back during my childhood. I was so drawn to her eyes I didn’t realize I was staring and I hadn’t been listening. Koluna gave me a nudge that brought me back to the present. I discovered that she also appeared distracted.

“I’m sorry, you seem familiar to me,” I said. “Have you been to Tian Prime before?”

“No, I haven’t. And you’re from there? But you’re obviously not Tian, though. Our scanners reported you might be Baglogi.” Said Jem.

“Short version: I’m human. It’s a species from a planet called Earth, although I’ve never been there. Tians abducted my mother and brought her to Tian Prime. I was born there, and so Tian Prime is my planet of birth.” I said.

“Interesting. It appears that Human and Baglogi species are quite similar.” She considered the matter for a moment. Then she resumed, “I am glad to meet you both. Come with me, and I’ll give you a tour of Ship.”


We followed Jem throughout the Baglogi vessel, talking as we walked. We eventually arrived at the main bridge. It had the usual consoles with blinking lights and a large tactical display. There was a seating area where we sat down together.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close