Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 11: Ori High Command

About 4 hours later, we received a hail from the Ori patrol vessel. As before, Koluna and I responded to the hail. The screen showed commander Quon.

“Koluna, Brian, I have an update for you and those aboard your vessel. An escort will arrive soon to ensure safe passage to your destination. Once they arrive, they’ll direct you to follow them. I wish you a safe journey throughout your visit to the Ori Confederation.” The call ended, not even giving us a chance to acknowledge him.

Soon, three Ori military vessels arrived and positioned themselves around Ship. The patrol vessel left us. The lead vessel gave us directions, and we let Ship take care of travelling in formation.

A few hours later, we arrived at the star system Ori Major. We proceeded as directed to the third planet around the star, and into a stationary orbit above the planet. The three Ori military vessels remained in formation. Soon after, we received a hail.

“Foreign vessel, we will send over a shuttle to dock with you for transport to Ori High Command. Please have your delegation ready to leave in a few minutes. To the rest of your crew, we ask you to maintain your position here until further notice,” said the commander of the lead vessel.

“Commander,” I said. “In our hold, we have the Ori escape pod from the freighter Opolu Naa. We brought this as material evidence. I can have the data transmitted to wherever you direct.”

“I’ll collect the escape pod, and I’m transmitting details on where to download the data,” said the commander.

“Thank you. We’ll be ready for your shuttle,” I said. I closed the call.

“Ship, you can take care of the escape pod and the data download?” I asked.

“Confirmed. The download will begin soon. Their shuttle is on its way,” said Ship.

We had a brief hug, and then Koluna and I proceeded to the airlock. Jem remained aboard as planned.

As we stepped through our and their airlocks, armed military personnel greeted us. We were unarmed, of course. They scanned us for weapons and scanned our ID chips to re-verify our identity. So far, they were polite and professional about the process. They asked us to take a seat.

The spaceport reminded me of Central Spaceport back home on Tian Prime. They politely escorted us to a ground transport, which took us to Ori High Command offices. Then things went sideways a little.

They separated us. I ended up in what reminded me of the interview room back home on Tian Prime. They left me waiting, without refreshments or washroom. I figured I was being watched, so I became Tian again. I sat quietly and kept my thoughts and emotions to myself.

Later, a tall Ori male entered the room and sat facing me. I looked at him, all calm. If they wanted to rattle me, they’d have to try harder.

“Bri-an, I’m here to determine the veracity of your story.”

“Is this how you welcome your citizens?” I asked. I could win a staring contest with any Ori.

“Yes, your credentials are interesting. We sent a message to the Ori ambassador at Tian Prime for confirmation of your status. It will take a while. Meanwhile, you will be our guest until we work things out,” he said. I think he was trying to intimidate me.

“I assume you have the data download and the escape pod? Perhaps you should study them before you continue interviewing me.”

“In due time,” he said. Of course he would decline my suggestion. “How about you tell me your story? I can compare it with the testimony of your crewmate, and then I can compare it with the evidence you have provided.”

I decided the quickest way through this was to give him what he wanted.

“Of course. I joined the Opolu Naa at Tian Prime, reporting to captain Jegho. Our last stop before the attack was the Trading Post. A few days after that, pirates attacked us. In the confusion, I grabbed Koluna, and we both hid in an escape pod. By a miracle, our escape pod ejected, and we escaped the exploding freighter. Are you recording this?”

“Naturally. Your Ori is very good,” he said.

“I studied foreign languages at Tian Prime. My Ori crewmates also helped me.”

“Please continue Bri-an.”

It irritated me to hear him mispronounce my name like Koluna did.

“Koluna and I drifted along in the escape pod. I activated the emergency distress beacon after about two days, to give the pirates time to vacate the area. Several days later, the Baglogi vessel rescued us. They invited us to join their crew, and since we owed them what you would call a life-debt, we accepted,” I said.

“You know about our custom? Please continue.”

“After swearing in as crew, our first mission was pursuing the pirates. We backtracked to the debris of the Opolu Naa and then tracked their ion trails back to a star system. We deployed a cloaked probe into the system to confirm the location of the pirates.”

“A cloaked probe? So you have stealth technology??”

“The Baglogi do. I merely serve aboard as a crew member. If the Ori Confederation wish to trade for Baglogi technology, I suggest you defer that until a later date once we’ve established a formal alliance.”

“Of course. Please continue.”

“We found the pirate base on a moon orbiting the second planet. There were at least eight pirate vessels identified. The probe intel is in the data download.”

“How did you defeat all those vessels? Surely one vessel against eight is too much odds for any warship.”

“We sent two cloaked probes into the system, armed with nano-bots. The probes deployed nano-bots against the pirate ships. These nano-bots are microscopic devices that consumed the hulls of the pirate ships, replicating more nano-bots. We destroyed all pirate vessels within a matter of minutes. You can examine the video and scan data in the download,” I said. He took a couple of minutes to consider what I had described.

“Are you saying that the Baglogi destroyed all vessels in a system within minutes? And your vessel has that ability in orbit above us now?” he asked. He now looked visibly pale.

“The Baglogi vessel came here in peace, seeking an alliance. We’d never use that on our ally while under the terms of safe passage.” Some research with Koluna and Ship had me familiar with Ori laws. “I am an Ori citizen. I came here in peace, to report that we neutralized the pirates that destroyed the Opolu Naa. We avenged their deaths, and the pirates will cause no more harm to anyone.”

Although this Ori was taller than me, I think he underestimated me. Perhaps it was because I was smaller. I don’t know or care. I knew I had his attention, so I pressed forward.

“The vessel in orbit belongs to a race known as the Baglogi. You can look up the name in your archives. I’m not only an Ori citizen, but I was on the Ori diplomatic staff. We’ve a provisional alliance between the Ori Confederation and the Baglogi, for peace, mutual protection, and trade. I’m in a unique position in that I represent both parties. As a crew of that vessel, I represent the interests of the Baglogi. Perhaps you can locate your senior diplomat who can formalize the alliance. I expect they’ll be eager for something of mutual benefit to both the Baglogi and the Ori Confederation. I might further suggest your prompt action would earn you credit for your leadership.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close