Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 12: The Ori Confederation

Koluna and I awoke the next day in our guest quarters at the Ori High Command. A day can make all the difference. I felt refreshed and more positive. Even Koluna looked calmer. She was Ori, after all. If she were not happy here, I wouldn’t want to stay. We completed our morning ablutions and were preparing to head out when we got an invitation to join the minister for breakfast.

A non-military Ori escorted us to an elevator that took us up several levels, and we came out into some kind of dining lounge with a spectacular view of the surrounding area. Our host, the minister, was waiting to greet us, together with two other Ori. It didn’t take me long to guess who they were.

“Mother! Father!” screamed Koluna as she ran into their arms for a hug. I stood back and watched as they shared their joy at being reunited. Seeing her happy with her family pleased me. It confirmed that at least once in my life I had done something right when I saved her. The minister smiled when I looked at him. He had probably arranged this. I gave him a slight nod of my head, which I hoped he would understand as my thanks.

I wanted to stand back and watch their reunion. But Koluna grabbed my hand and introduced me to her parents. “This is Bri-an. He is from Tian Prime. He saved me when pirates destroyed our freighter.”

“I’m pleased to meet you,” I said. I wasn’t sure how they’d react, but I shouldn’t have worried. Her parents were suddenly hugging me. I wasn’t sure of the correct Ori response, so I smiled and waited for them to finish.

“We received a call from the minister last night. We caught the overnight transport to be here.” Her mother told Koluna. “This morning we got the news that pirates destroyed the Opolu Naa. At first I thought the worst, but the minister said you survived. He was just updating us on some details of your adventure.”

“It was chaos. There were explosions and smoke and confusion. Then Bri-an came by; he grabbed my hand and pulled me into an escape pod. If he hadn’t done so, I’d be dead. We were the only crew to survive the attack.” Said Koluna. Her parents stared at each other and then turned their gaze on me. I shrugged in response. I wasn’t comfortable in the spotlight.

Before her parents could respond, the minister interrupted. “As much as I am reluctant to disturb this reunion, perhaps we could take our seats. I would enjoy sharing a breakfast with you all, but I am on a tight schedule.”

Koluna sat by my side, and between her parents and me. The minister sat across from me. This appeared a rather luxury diner, something I was unaccustomed to. Two waiters promptly came over to take our orders. I worried I might embarrass Koluna and myself. I asked Koluna to order something for me. The minister whispered something to the waiter. The waiter came over and ran an ID scanner over my arm to confirm that my order was compatible with me. You never can be too careful.

“Are you feeling rested this morning?” The minister asked me. He was used to living like this.

“Yes, thank you. Yesterday was quite an experience.” I said. I smiled to make it clear there were no hard feelings.

“This morning we released the news of the destruction of the Opolu Naa. We also stated that two crew members survived the attack, and the subsequent destruction of the pirates by an allied vessel that was in the area. So far, the reaction has been positive.” Said the minister.

“You kept our names out of it?” I asked.

“In time, they may figure out who it was.” He said. The waiters returned and delivered our breakfast.

Koluna’s mother asked me, “Bri-an, are you planning to stay here in the Ori Confederation?”

“Actually no. A Baglogi vessel rescued our escape pod, the same one mentioned in the news. Both your daughter and I have joined their crew. We owe them our lives,” I said. Both her parents nodded at this.

Koluna stared at her mother. “Mother, I owe both Bri-an AND the Baglogi for saving my life. We serve as crew, and will leave with them once our visit is over.” I suspected she was saying more using a special frequency only females operate on.

“Of course. Your sense of duty brings us honour. I hope your travels provide you both the opportunities to visit us.” Her mother said. “And Bri-an, welcome to our family! You must tell me about your parents on Tian Prime.”

Welcome to their family? I kept my face calm. “My mother died when I was younger. I never knew my father. I lived in an orphanage until I could live on my own.”

“Oh, you poor being! Well, you have family here now.” She said. I wasn’t sure if I felt insulted by her pity, or touched to have someone who offered me somewhere to call home. The family comment bothered me. I started on my breakfast to avoid further discussion. They took the hint, and we all ate.

After breakfast, the minister had to leave. “Enjoy your visit, Brian, and please convey my respects to the Baglogi crew. Perhaps another time we can meet them face to face?” He said.

“I will convey your respects and your wishes. Thank you for your part in resolving matters yesterday.” I said.

“You’re welcome, Brian. Goodbye everyone!” And he left. I turned to Koluna. Her parents had travelled to see her, so I thought it best to let her decide what to do next.

“Mother, I was planning to do some shopping today. Would you like the four of us to go along together?” Koluna asked.

“That would be delightful.” Her mother said. Koluna took the communication device from me and called Ship. Soon she had downloaded a wish list of items. Purchasing was her speciality. Who better to resupply our vessel?

I offered to pick up the bill for breakfast, but the waiter said the minister had already covered it. We left and took a ground transport to the commercial district, near the spaceport. I saw various businesses that sold supplies and materials for visiting vessels. Koluna was chatting cheerfully with her mother for the whole journey.

I sat and looked out the window. It was only the second planet I’d been on. Ori had a lot in common with Tian, with a few differences. The climate was warmer, although it might just be a seasonal thing. Many people were going about their business. Life continued, oblivious to the carnage that was outside their solar system. If they’d experienced what I had aboard the freighter, they might see things differently now. I felt exposed here on the planet surface, and I was already looking forward to returning to Ship.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close