Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 17: The Foe

We took a break after the destruction of the extra node. It seemed we’d wait in hiding behind the moon to see if any vessels arrived. Elimination of the extra node took the pressure off and my adrenalin level was dropping. So I left to get some sleep.

Conversely, Jem and Koluna handled the stress differently. They were full of energy, so they remained in the main bridge to discuss recent events. I’d done my part. I was soon asleep.

Later, Koluna woke me up. She frowned at me.

“Why didn’t you stay with us after we took out that foe? Jem was upset you left abruptly,” she said.

“Huh?” I was still waking up. “I thought it was over. I was tired and needed to rest,” I said.

She stood there beside my bed, with her arms crossed. I contemplated going back to sleep.

“Bri-an, remember your special assignment? You missed an opportunity today. We wanted to talk, and you left,” said Koluna. She wouldn’t let me sleep.

I got up. “I’m up. What now?”

“I want the best for you. You should talk with Jem now,” said Koluna.

Her stance clearly indicated this wasn’t open to debate.

In order to pacify her, I left the cabin and proceeded to the main bridge.


“Hello,” I said as I entered the main bridge. Jem was sitting near the tactical display. She looked at me.

“We missed you earlier,” said Jem.

“Yes, I’m sorry. I seriously needed rest after we destroyed the extra node,” I shrugged.

“Are you rested?”

“Yes, thank you. Any updates?” I cautiously sat down beside her. I tried to appear calm and friendly. Our eyes locked. I’d known those eyes for cycles. It was weird.

“We, err ... I needed you.” Her eyes were glassy. This was different.

“I am here now.” I put my arms around her and held her close. We were both silent for some time. She felt warm. Shortly, she sniffed, then sat back.

We sat together in silence for a while longer.

“Attention, multiple vessels arriving at in the system,” said Ship. Show time...

We looked up at the tactical display. Three dots appeared at the edge of the system and were moving towards Baglogi-4. Koluna arrived and took a seat.

“Ship, are you able to contact the probes near Baglogi-4?” I asked.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.

“Ship, please task the probes to drift along at full stealth, along paths that would intersect the most likely paths of the vessels. Order nano-bots deployed behind them, in a wide path to increase the chance of contact. Once complete, have them move to a distance where they can record the results of the nano-bots, and report damage assessment,” I ordered.

“Captain, command authorization required,” said Ship.

“Authorized,” said Jem. She looked up at the ceiling.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.

“And Ship, from now on, please update protocol for command authorization. I promote Brian to rank of commander. We are at war with this unknown foe. We cannot afford delays. He has earned our trust. Exceptions would include any high-level protocols, such as the protocol to preserve the Baglogi species,” said Jem.

“Command authorization for Commander Brian granted,” Said Ship.

“Congratulations, Commander Brian!” Koluna cooed. I was unsure what to say and I bet my face made that clear.

“I would’ve discussed this with you earlier if you were awake. Everything you’ve done was correct. Your creativity and judgement have convinced me you are qualified to issue commands. And I’m fed up with being the only one Ship takes orders from,” frowned Jem.

“Thank you, Captain,” I blushed as I looked her in the eyes.

“Now prove me right. What happens next?” she asked.

“We wait to see if the foe vessels fall into our trap. If not, we might task the probes to make a second pass,” I said. On the tactical display, we saw a representation of trails of nano-bots ahead of the foe vessels. We might just get lucky.

“Brian, if the vessels don’t divert to Baglogi-6, then they don’t know our location,” Koluna pointed out.

“You are right!” Jem agreed.

“Attention, vessel has accessed our network. They sent a remote override protocol. I’m not responding,” said Ship. Woohoo! We dodged a laser there...

“Oh wow!” Koluna gasped. “We would have died just now.”

“Thank you for the update, Ship. I think we can use this to our advantage,” I said.

“How?” asked Jem.

“They’re connected to our network and they expect a response from a Baglogi vessel,” I said. “Ship, please send a response from a fictional Baglogi vessel in orbit around Baglogi-4, with coordinates from the far side of the planet. I want to lead them into the trails of nano-bots.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close