Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 20: Third Wave

Ship took us over to the recently destroyed vessels. Without the cloak, we travelled faster than before. Once we arrived, Ship deployed two probes, and we hooked up a tow cable to the first vessel. Soon we were dragging it around Baglogi-4 and launching it toward the far side of the system. I later expected the manufacturing facility out there to use it for raw materials and salvaged parts.

We were all sitting in the main bridge, watching the action on the tactical display. Ship was now travelling back to fetch a second vessel.

“Ship, how are the probes with the nano-bots?” I asked.

“I’ve deployed cloaked Probes as ordered. The chances of a successful interception are improved.”

“Excellent!”

“I’ve also equipped two probes with signal-jamming capability,” said Ship.

“Great! Now I’d like to see if we can automate them. Please define a new protocol. Call it trap-1. Details are:

  • “Stage one, identify new arrivals, classify as friendly or foe. Alert all friendly vessels in the system via the system network.

  • “Stage two, deploy nano-bots in the path of foe vessels. Be ready to jam outgoing signals. If needed, signal the probe working on the derelict vessels and have it distract the incoming foe vessels. The goal is to lure them toward the clouds of nano-bots.

  • “Stage three, deactivate nano-bots after explosive decompression and termination of life signs.

  • “Keep all friendly vessels in the system updated where the clouds of nano-bots are located, so they can avoid the area. And if any foe vessel can avoid the nano-bots, alert all friendly vessels in the system.

“You got all that?” I asked.

“Confirmed. New protocol complete. I’m transmitting the new protocol to probes ... Complete,” said Ship.

“We’re the only friendly vessel in this system,” said Koluna.

“Correct, but we may not always be the only friendly vessel. For example, Baglogi has an alliance with the Ori Confederation. If there were Ori vessels in the system, providing help per the terms of the treaty, that protocol would keep them informed,” I responded.

“But we’ve not asked for their help, and they’re at least 20 days away,” said Koluna. I shrugged.

Ship interrupted us then, “Attention, arriving at the second derelict vessel and attaching tow cable...”

We were off again, towing the hulking carcass of a foe vessel behind us.


Ship completed towing the three vessels out of sight. We then moved behind Baglogi-4, ready for another wave. The probe had arrived at the planetoid on the other side of the system. The new manufacturing facility was taking shape.

“Ship, how is it going with the derelict vessels?” I asked.

“The probe has extracted and examined various weapons and defensive capabilities, also power relays and other components that could be useful,” Ship replied.

“Good. Please record the improvements and build them into future production,” I said.

“Confirmed.”

“Outstanding!” said Jem. “Thank you Ship.”

“Ship, how goes it with deciphering the computer cores?” I asked.

“It depends on understanding their language. The process is slow.”

“Well, how about the navigation computers? Do you have access to their cores?”

“Confirmed.”

“Ship, understanding the entire foe language is a big undertaking, even for you. I suggest the navigation data should be a smaller target. Stellar cartography and astro-navigation is a lot of math. There should be a lot in common. Use your own data about this system for reference. You need to figure out the foe number system, their coordinate system, and search for matches in the navigation computer cores.” I said.

“Confirmed.”

Both Koluna and Jem looked at me with hopeful expressions on their faces. I had something in mind if Ship could crack this.

A few minutes passed then, “I have deciphered the foe navigation data. I have access to their cartography, and navigation data. I can now confirm the origin of these vessels as the same system we sent a probe to,” said Ship.

“Woohoo!” I exclaimed. I almost did a happy dance.

“Ship, I presume you now understand foe number system, coordinate system, math and designations for astral bodies,” I asked.

“Confirmed. This will be helpful in further deciphering the main computer cores,” said Ship.

“You’re welcome. But do you understand their communications systems and protocols yet?” I asked. I needed this for the next part of the plan.

“Communications protocols and frequencies are like Baglogi. This may explain their capacity to trigger a remote override protocol.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close