Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 23: Fifth And Sixth

Part of our success has been the predictability of the foe. Their waves arrived every two days and at the same location. We knew where and when they would arrive next. It would have been more effective if they varied their pattern. We were fortunate to have figured them out early on. I was still unclear on why they did it this way.

After sending home two of the foe vessels from the last wave, we had time to rest. Our defences were ready for the next wave, and we knew we had at least a day before it was expected. I spent more time hanging out with Koluna rather than the main bridge.

Koluna was happy about the return of prisoners. She thought perhaps the gesture would help lead to a peaceful resolution. I thought the better deterrent was that out of twelve ships only two made it back. We had also shown them the video of the destruction of vessels from the previous wave. I liked that the intel they had was limited but scary. I wanted to keep it that way. By the time they got back it may trigger sending larger fleets. So far they have seemed persistent. I had to be prepared for larger fleets.

I was glad it was quiet for a while. I got caught up on my rest. I wanted my wits about me for when something happened.

Day twelve came, and we were assembled in the main bridge ready for the next wave to arrive. We all sat watching the tactical display.

“Attention, multiple vessels arriving in the system,” said Ship. We watched the familiar three dots move into the system and proceed toward Baglogi-4. They seemed as gullible as their predecessors and they were soon rendered helpless.

“Ship, please initiate return home protocol for all three vessels,” ordered Jem. I guess she was fed up with keeping prisoners in the system. Although capturing prisoners was better than killing, it still didn’t fit with her peacekeeping mission. I thought the sooner we sent them home, the less likely they would try to restore control and die.

We watched the three dots leave the system. The crews would not get control of their vessels back until they returned to their own system in four days. That would be day sixteen, so they could not return until at least day twenty.

“That went so easy, it seemed like a non-event,” said Jem.

“It seemed too easy,” I said.

“I liked how we did not have to kill anyone or destroy their vessels. They got hardly a glimpse of the system and then they were on their way home,” said Koluna.

I had a new idea, but I decided to wait until I could talk with Ship alone. Fortunately the fun was over. I left Jem and Koluna talking on the main bridge and went for a walk to find somewhere quiet.


I wandered until I reached a lounge area I had visited before. I took a seat on a couch.

“Ship, I need your help to develop a protocol update for the data port probes,” I said.

“Proceed,” said Ship.

“Once a vessel is under our control, I would like the option to have it attack the other vessels not under our control. It would need control of maneuvering and weapons. Can you do that?” I asked.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“This option should be used for two purposes. One is to distract the other foe vessels so they pursue the vessel under our control in a path that takes them past the data port probes or the nano-bots probes. Two would be if one were not possible. Have the vessel under our control turn and fire on the other foe vessels not under our control. Ideally this would be automated. Can you handle that?” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Great! Ship, send out the protocol update,” I said.

“Confirmed. Protocol update sent to all data port probes,” said Ship.

“Thank you Ship. Any news on Molly?” I asked.

“Refit is proceeding. Completion should be in about two days,” said Ship.

“Once refit is complete, could you have Molly move to this side of Baglogi-4 and remain cloaked? We can use it for support if needed,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. I did not have a crew for the new vessel, but it could be useful to have a second friendly vessel available.

“Oh, and Ship please make certain the data port probes can tell a friendly vessel like you and Molly from a foe,” I added.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Awesome! Our defences will be that much more secure because of our efforts,” I smiled.

“Umm, Ship I have a question for you. I don’t know if you will have an answer. It concerns hyperspace travel. If a vessel travels via hyperspace from the foe system to this system at the same time as a vessel travels from our system to the foe system, is it at all likely that they would meet? Is there a possibility of a collision? Would they be able to detect the other vessel?” I asked.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close