Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 27: Baglogi

The rooms at the inn were simple, but clean. The beds were comfortable and I slept well. We awoke the next morning and went downstairs for breakfast. We were guided to a table outside that had been reserved for us.

By now word about us had traveled through the township. There were even more onlookers to our meal. I felt uncomfortable being stared at, but I remembered from my time on the Opolu Naa that I was supposed to be a diplomat. I smiled at the beings and was rewarded mostly with blank stares. I gestured to some of them to come and sit with us. A few brave beings took us up on the offer. Plates of food and beverages were delivered to our table. I could not fault their hospitality.

“Hey, I know this dish. My parents used to eat this with me when I was younger,” said Jem smiling.

“You like it?” asked a young girl near our table. “It is my favourite too.”

“Yes. I had not eaten it in a long time, since my parents passed away,” replied Jem. It was good to see Jem interacting with other Baglogi. She had been alone for so long.

I turned to a male Baglogi, “I was thinking, if this is the only township why is there an inn? Isn’t that for travellers?”

He was startled at being addressed for a moment.

“We mostly gather here for socializing. Perhaps if someone had too much to drink, or they need temporary lodging, they would stay here,” he said. I nodded in understanding.

“Yes, most of the time the rooms are empty,” said another Baglogi.

“In all these cycles, why have you not spread out and created other towns?” I asked.

“Well, this valley and the lake provide all we need. We like living here. Our family and friends are close by. We have no reason to move somewhere else,” said the male Baglogi.

“Do you really come from the stars?” asked the young girl.

“Yes, and we came here to visit you,” replied Jem.

We continued to exchange questions and answers with our hosts. It seemed to be going quite amicably. They had lived in peace for about a millennia, and I noted there were no defences or military.

“Do the beings from the planet you see in the sky ever visit you?” I asked.

“Not in my lifetime,” said a male Baglogi.

“No, never,” said an older female.

“So they left you alone, and you have lived in peace in this valley?” mused Jem.

“Sometimes you can see lights in the night sky as they move around out there,” said another, “perhaps they have forgotten about us.”

I observed that the Baglogi here seemed content and well adjusted. I was feeling increasingly motivated against taking them away from here.


Later in the day, Frank came back to fetch us to his home. We followed him to his house a few blocks away from the inn. There were no ground vehicles, not even a wagon pulled by a domesticated animal. The streets were well organized and tidy.

“Please come in,” he invited us into his home.

“Thank you,” said Jem. Inside were some of the Baglogi he left with yesterday. I presumed these were the town elders.

“Hello, I am Brian and this is Jem,” I greeted the other beings. I was not fully up on their customs, but would step up and do the best I can.

“Nice to meet you, Brian and Jem. I am Ella, and this is Gord and Leron. We are glad to meet with you this evening,” said Ella. We sat down facing each other around a table. Food and drinks were served, and we enjoyed a meal together before any serious discussions. Quite civilized!

“We discussed what you said yesterday. We have more questions. You said you had to come and see us?” said Ella.

“Yes,” said Jem, “you are Baglogi. When I learned you were here, I imagined all the terrible suffering you must have gone through. I hoped to rescue you all and bring you back home.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close