The Universe - or Nothing - Cover

The Universe - or Nothing

Public Domain

Chapter 17

Drummer reached for the mike.

“Colonel Hanno, this is Admiral Drummer.” He winked at Brad.

“Colonel, my Government requires an inventory of Slingshot properties, materials and supplies in your depot and on the transports nearby. The information we develop from this one-time inventory will be used to compute UIPS taxes while the depot and transports are in Plutonian jurisdiction. My fleet is escorting the inventory specialists. Please arrange for them to board your Depot and the transports on both sides of your force field, so that they can get to their work.”

“I have not received instructions from my Government concerning the inventory or the taxes to which you refer.”

“That is between you and your Government. I am here at the express order of President Narval to see that the inventory is conducted. May I count on your cooperation?”

“If I decline, what then?”

“Blockade, for starters.”

“The UIPS will not permit your interference with our operations.”

“Is that the formal response of your Government to my request?”

A short pause. “No.”

“Then I suggest you dispense with posturing and arrange to receive the inventory crews. Please instruct all Masters of transports and other ships doing business with your depot to cooperate with our agents.”

Another voice cut in, heavy with anger.

“No goddamned shakedown artists are coming aboard my ship.”

Brad motioned Drummer to give him the mike, indicating by his facial expression that the intruder did not deserve a direct response from Drummer’s level.

“This is Commander Curtin,” Brad said with low-toned authority, “Executive to Admiral Drummer. Who speaks?”

He winked at Drummer, who leaned back in his chair, grinning.

“Lieutenant Bura, commanding the transport Sandbox. I repeat: keep your damn squeeze clerks away from my ship, regardless how legitimate you claim your purpose to be.”

“You’re in no position to refuse,” Brad shot back. “You’re in Plutonian territory, and we have every right to employ police or military powers to enforce our jurisdiction. You will cooperate in this inventory, peacefully, if possible; under force, if necessary.”

“You’ll have to fight your way on to my ship.” Bura’s voice was harsh, angry. “Be advised we are armed and prepared to repel unauthorized boarders. I take your demands to be attempted extortion, and a clear threat to the safety of my ship, crew and cargo. That, at the least, is piracy in my book, and I am within my authority to use force to keep pirates off my ship. Now, chew on that.”

“Lieutenant Bura.” Brad’s voice was space-cold. “You now insult the Plutonian Government by accusing it of piracy. Your attitude gives us good reason to question the purpose of your presence in our territory. By your words, you command an armed vessel. Now you dare to threaten legitimate representatives of a sovereign nation with your guns. We have no choice but to conclude you are a danger to our ships and to our people.”

“Ridiculous. I am merely protecting the safety and integrity of my ship.”

“So you say. Nevertheless, you have threatened to use force against our exercise of legitimate rights. Tell me, Bura, is your ship really a commercial cargo transporter or is it a UIPS warship with a military mission inside our legal jurisdiction?”

“What in hell are you trying to do, whoever you are? My ship is a transporter of cargo, and you know that damned well.”

“I know no such thing. All I know is that you claim to be armed and say you will use your weapons against us. I repeat: are you on a military mission?”

“No, damn it, I am not.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close