The Universe - or Nothing - Cover

The Universe - or Nothing

Public Domain

Chapter 23

The Sentinels slouched in chairs, or sat on the floor, backs against the walls of the small workroom. Their faces reflected fatigue.

“About fleet capabilities for sustained combat,” Brad said. “I need a ‘how goes it’ on the status of your evaluations. Give me a quick rundown and a documented report by the end of the day. Myra, you first.”

Myra spoke from where she sat on a chair tilted against the wall.

“I had training facilities and systems, emergency medical support, and general administrative backup. What I saw was guys and gals floundering around, leaning on each other, and making excuses. The training programs are antiquated; many aren’t even remotely tied in with the equipment installed on ships of the line. Equipment operators are learning by hit-or-miss, and they miss much too often. Can’t blame them for low effectiveness because the procedures are hazardous to their health. If we don’t improve the situation fast, the crews will deteriorate to where they won’t be worth a damn when the going gets even a mite rough.”

Myra paused, tipped her chair forward, crossed her arms, and gave Brad a hard look.

“I mean it, Brad. What’s more, the medical backup for combat support is atrocious. If we incur casualties, the injured won’t have much to depend on, and if the troops have no faith in their medics, their morale will drop, and I mean fast. There goes your combat capability. For example, medical supplies haven’t been checked and updated for years, if they were ever checked at all. They don’t know what they’ve got or where.

“The system needs a complete overhaul. I spot-checked the software and links on training, medical, and administrative systems, and found them to be full of gaps and obsolete links and citations. My report, Brad, is that these areas need one hell of a lot of work to get them up to even minimum standards.”

Myra tipped her chair back until her head and shoulders touched the wall and she closed her eyes. Her exhaustion was unmistakable.

“Document your findings, Myra,” Brad said. “I want specific recommendations to deal with each deficiency that you find, the name of the person accountable, and a list of the supplies, equipment and skills to clear the problem.”

Turning to the others, he added, “That goes for everyone; there isn’t much to work with, so be realistic. If you report a problem, tell me how to fix it. If the shortages can’t be filled, we might have to take from one ship or facility to fix others. Clear?”

Silence.

“OK, you’re next, Zolan. What’s the story on communications?”

“The equipment is generally good. It all came from the Inner Region, and not very long ago. Part of what we have was taken in the raids on UIPS ships; the rest is original equipment installed here during the Slingshot build-up. Most of the space-to-space systems are fully operational; there are some weaknesses in space-to-surface links.”

“That part can be handled.”

Zolan paused to nod at Myra.

“There’s a ‘but’, though, and here’s where I tie in with Myra’s findings on training. We’ve got a good supply of comm spares, but not enough skills to do the work. The comm folks can operate the equipment, no sweat there. The problem is that although much of the gear is self-repairing through built-in robotics, when the robies themselves need fixing, no one knows how. Chain reaction; it won’t take long for subsystems to break down as the pressure of sustained ops builds. Barely enough maintenance robots on each ship and station to keep the equipment working. The number of out-of-commission robots is increasing steadily, and no one seems to know what to do about it. In time, this could easily lead to wide gaps in communications capabilities.”

“Do you know what to do about it?” Brad asked.

“Yes.”

“Lay it out in your report. That’s one area where we can’t afford any screw-ups. Adari, let’s hear it on ship’s navigation systems and surface nav-aids.”

“Well, Brad,” Adari grinned, “I had a nice summary all arranged in my mind, but I won’t waste time by repeating what Zolan and Myra reported. Comm maintenance also applies to nav, as does training and data. The equipment is good, but only because it’s fairly new and is robotically self-maintained. But nav robotics have no backups. Generally, when maintenance robies need fixing the work’s done by human specialists or other specialized robies. They’re not on board. Eventually, this fleet is going to be in a sad predicament: nav equipment will go down with no way to get ‘em back on line.”

“How are you on fixing nav robots, Adari,” Brad smiled.

“I get by.”

“Put that in your report, too.” Brad turned to Kumiko and nodded.

“Guns, power packs, tracking and fire-control systems in fair shape. Ordnance controllers and gunners are a breed apart, especially when they’re taking care of their own, and even when working conditions are tight. They normally do most of their own maintenance. The guns are modern, and there’s a good supply of ready-to-install chargers. Ship commanders exercise their gun crews frequently, and many have been on the raids, so they have ops experience that the UIPS Space Force lacks. As far as armaments go, this fleet will be a powerful adversary in any confrontation.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close