The Universe - or Nothing - Cover

The Universe - or Nothing

Public Domain

Chapter 33

Narval sat hunched over as Drummer and Brad entered. He did not wait for them to approach.

“Well? Speak up, Drummer,” he snapped. “Don’t wait for a special invitation.”

“The replies to your message have come in, Mr. President. They are all in the affirmative. Their fleets are getting ready.”

“Ah hah!”

Narval’s head shot up, and he straightened as much as his deeply cushioned chair would allow. He patted the top of his desk, and his face creased into a broad grin, flushed with triumph. Eyes dancing from Drummer to Brad and back, he patted the desk once more, obviously enjoying the moment. The grin quickly transformed into one of deadly cunning.

“That takes care of my first objective,” he said. “From here they are both independent and interdependent. You must plan carefully and carry out my instructions without deviating.”

Eyes fixed on Drummer, he raised his jeweled hand to point at him.

“I have already told you how you fit into my plans for the future.” Turning to Brad, “You have proven yourself a reliable and resourceful leader, Brad. When I have attained my goals, you, along with Drummer, will be amply rewarded with material wealth and positions of honor. I tell you this now because in my world loyalty has a price, and you are entitled to know I will pay it. How do you stand?”

“I hear and I understand, Mr. President,” Brad replied and, without a flinch, “I stand with you.”

“Good.”

Leaning as far forward as his paunch would allow, Narval motioned Drummer and Brad forward. They took chairs close to the desk.

“Drummer, I appoint you Commander of the Combined Fleet, and I now order you to take the objective. Brad, I appoint you Drummer’s Chief of Combat Operations. I will issue the necessary orders to all Commanders of the Plutonian fleet and to the Commanders of our allied forces.”

Narval watched Drummer and Brad’s faces as he spoke. Both returned his gaze with grim, attentive expressions.

“When you have taken the objective, only Scarf’s security troops are to be allowed to board and take stations throughout the facility. You have another task.

“Once internal security is established, invite the ship commanders to a celebration on your flagship. Reject declinations; they must appear. Permit the celebration to go on for a bit, then, Drummer, the bolt.

“Announce to the assembled Commanders -- those of the Plutonian fleet and those of our allies -- that I have instructed you to take their oath of allegiance to me, Narval of Planet Pluto, and to none other. Those who refuse are to be eliminated on the spot in plain view of the others. Those who agree are to be placed under psychic probes, then and there, to ensure that their oath of allegiance to me is without reservation. Any who fail to pass the test are to join the ones that openly refused. No second chances. Understood?”

“Understood,” Brad said.

Drummer nodded, his face gone pale.

“Transfer contingents of Scarf’s troops from the objective to your flagship, several hundred if necessary, whatever number you need to cover the operation. Make certain that you transfer enough technicians to set up and operate the psychic probes. If any Commanders or their staffs chose to be feisty, the troops are your execution squads.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close