The Universe - or Nothing - Cover

The Universe - or Nothing

Public Domain

Chapter 40

Captain Hyk strode the bridge impatiently.

“Point Icarus in ten minutes,” he reported to Drummer and Brad as they entered the tight compartment. “The Jovians and Saturnians are coming up fast, and the Neptune-Uranus team is close behind. Orders?”

“You’ll get yours with the rest, Har,” Drummer’s tone reflected his tension. He turned to Brad.

“Brad, I wish to address the Commanders of all Plutonian ships. Set up closed communications, please.”

“Yes, sir.”

Brad strode to the console he and Drummer had used to assess the fleet’s status a short while before. He detached a microphone from the bulkhead nearby, keyed the computer, and spoke.

“Attention, all ship Commanders of the Plutonian Assault Force. Rig for secure ‘Commanders Only’ communications with Admiral Drummer. The Admiral will speak in one minute. Countdown -- start now.”

He handed the mike to Drummer. The first of many uncertain steps would now be taken.

Drummer glanced at the ship’s chronometer, then at Captain Hyk.

Time.

“Ship commanders, Admiral Drummer here. Our allies are approaching in formation and they will link up with us in seven minutes at Point Icarus. We must greet them properly. I order the Plutonian formation to come about immediately from its head-on orientation to the Terminals and cluster to face our allies. Do it now. At Point Icarus I will address the combined fleet.”

Drummer paused, then added, “I am turning over the details of this change in formation to my Chief of Combat Operations. Follow his instructions without hesitation.”

Drummer handed the microphone to Brad and stepped back. Brad rattled off the revised orientations and positions, ship by ship listed in the Order of Battle. Both he and Drummer watched the effects in the observation pit’s view tank.

As Brad spoke the close order of the original formation dissolved and opened. The maneuver was extremely complex, but within minutes the ships had come about in a ragged formation to face their oncoming allies.

Out of the corners of his eyes Brad observed Hyk input orders to the Dragon’s guidance control and navigation centers. Hyk glared at Drummer as if the man was out of his mind. Brad expected the other Commanders to be equally perplexed and angered by the unexpected reorientation.

Drummer, by his order without prior notice and planning, had completely disrupted the Plutonian tactical formation. Valuable time would be spent to sort out the confusion and array for the assault.


Captain Yargoul, Commander of the Jovian Combined Strike Team, stood on the bridge of the Battle Cruiser Windstorm and scowled into his view tank. The unconventional redeployment of the Plutonian Assault Force amazed and appalled him.

“What in hell are they doing?” Yargoul pointed at the tank as his Executive stared aghast over his shoulder.

“Damned if I can tell, Captain Yargoul,” replied his deputy. “This isn’t called for in the rendezvous plan.”

“I don’t like it. Get nav on this right now and pass the word to our ships’ Commanders. Assume a waiting formation ten thousand kay from the rendezvous. Get the Commanders of the Saturnian and Neptune-Uranus teams into a closed conference call with me. I’m going to suggest they do the same until we find out what this is all about.”

“They smell the rat,” Brad thought as he watched the oncoming fleets slowly alter their formations. He hastily left the command deck.

Walking swiftly along a passageway he passed Hodak at a workbench calibrating instruments as cover. Their eyes met and Brad moved on. Hodak switched off his test panels and headed toward a side passageway.

Myra, checking medical supplies in a wall cabinet, glanced at Hodak’s features as he brushed by. His grunt caused her to close the cabinet and walk off. Kumiko and Adari would soon have the message.


The storage compartment was tiny, barely enough to hold them.

“Drummer will be talking to all ships’ Commanders in the combined fleet in less than a minute,” Brad told them. “I want to be there when he does so that I can deal with their reactions. Also, Hyk is a problem. I expect they’ll all line up against us, including the Plutonian crews. The best we can hope for is a short delay while they argue among themselves. It’s up to the five of us; six, really, if I can count on Drummer.”

Brad looked from one tense face to the other.

“Hodak, your first job is Scarf. As soon as he hears Drummer he’ll come charging up with his goons to take over the ship. Stop him.”

“Kumiko, to the ship’s fire controls. Do as much damage there as you can without being detected. I want as many as possible of the Dragon’s long-range guns inoperative.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close