The Universe - or Nothing - Cover

The Universe - or Nothing

Public Domain

Chapter 41

Captain Yargoul’s face, inflamed with rage, flashed on the screen.

“By what right do you take this on yourself, Drummer?” he exploded.

“I choose to be a free man, Captain Yargoul, and have spoken as one.”

“I don’t believe President Narval gave you orders to turn us against our own Governments.” Yargoul’s eyes glittered his suspicion. “What’s your game, Drummer?”

“Those were indeed the orders given to me by Narval. As for my ‘game’, as you put it, it is, first, to take Planet Pluto out from under tyranny; and second, to bring reason to the negotiations now taking place between INOR and the UIPS. You cannot help me with the first, but you and all honorable citizens of the INOR federation share in the obligation to help with the second. With whom do you stand, Captain Yargoul?”

“I stand against you, Drummer, and I charge you with treason against your Government and disloyalty to our cause. You are not fit to lead this fleet. As ranking officer next in line I now challenge your right to act as Supreme Commander of this Combined Fleet. I hereby replace you in that capacity and assume command.” His voice rang with the power of his new authority.

“Captain Hyk, take Admiral Drummer into custody. If he resists, shoot him.”

Drummer switched off the communications console and turned to face Hyk.

“And you, Har, you’re a Plutonian and should understand, better than most where the real treachery lies. You’ve seen Narval’s psychic probes placed on board and must have suspected what they and Scarf’s troops aboard must mean. Think, man. Tell me I can count on you.”

“I’m an officer in the service of President Narval,” Hyk growled, “and I remain loyal to him. I accept that Captain Yargoul has replaced you as Supreme Commander of the Combined Fleet. The Plutonian forces in this combined fleet now come under my command. Drummer; I place you under arrest. If you resist I won’t hesitate to shoot you down where you are.”

Hyk drew his weapon and aimed it at Drummer.

“Easy does it, Har.”

Brad spoke from where he stood off to the side. Hyk shifted his focus and saw the weapon raised in Brad’s grip. Reacting instinctively, he crouched and swung toward Brad, the nozzle of his gun flaring. A tight beam laced across Hyk’s chest, and he crumpled to the deck. Brad slipped his gun back into its sheath.

Captain Yargoul’s commanding voice blasted from the ship’s loudspeakers, addressing the fleet.

“All ships’ Commanders. You’ve heard and witnessed Admiral Drummer’s treasonous statements. I am compelled, by circumstances, to assume command of the Combined Fleet. You will follow my orders; I order that any commander or crew-member who refuses to recognize my authority is to be disarmed, and imprisoned. Those who resist will be shot immediately.

“The target stands: we will move on the Slingshot Terminals and take them. I order the fleet to array itself for the assault. Unfortunately, Drummer has sabotaged our rendezvous, and we must reconstitute the assault formation. My chief navigator will issue sector orientation and vectors to each ship in the fleet so that we can form up for combat operations. Follow his orders without question.”

As Yargoul spoke Brad released the clip securing the door and yanked it open. Adari rushed in and darted to the communications console, drawing a comm capsule from her tunic. She slipped the capsule into the computer slot, slapped switches and pressed keys. She looked at Brad. He nodded. Adari pressed the final key. A light flashed red; the message on the capsule went out to the fleet.

A deep voice issued from the ship’s speakers: “This is Captain Yargoul’s chief navigator,” it began. “Here are the formation positions for each ship in our Order of Battle. Use as your reference Annex X-ray to the Slingshot Assault Plan. Comply immediately upon receipt of your ship’s new coordinates. Jovian Battle Cruiser Boulder and destroyer screen to Sector Alpha, coordinates R784-212-426; Saturnian Battle Cruiser Encounter and destroyer screen to Sector Gamma, coordinates R784-856-275; Plutonian Battle Cruisers Dragon and Tiger and screen to Sector Beta, coordinates...”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close