The Onyx Ravens
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2019 by Christopher Podhola

Stomach Trauma

It wasn’t until Whitney finished her third elephant ear that the group was able to move on from the dining pavilion. At first it had been the smell of cinnamon that had attracted Whitney to the elephant ears. The smell had reminded her of her Aunt Carol’s rolls. The first bite had led to another as the sugary taste exploded in her mouth. Elephant ears were much sweeter than cinnamon rolls and the surprising thing to her was that the taste of grease, mixed in with the dough and sugar, somehow made it better.

Come on Whit! Let’s get a move on! Tommy thought to her as she finished her third ear.

Just one more Tommy! These things are awesome! She thought back to him.

I never thought I’d say this, sis, because it sounds so much like what mom would say, but you’ve had enough! You’ll get a stomach ache if you eat any more.

Whitney tried to persist, but Tommy had all of the money and he wasn’t giving in. She finally gave in and got up from the picnic table. She turned and, began to feel claustrophobic. The pavilion was packed and in order to get to the main drag of the festival she was going to have to navigate through a dense crowd. The task seemed impossible to her as she considered it. In order to walk she was going to have to use her cane, but there wasn’t even enough room for her to extend it in front of her without her cane smacking into someone.

“She’s finally done eating,” Jessica asked. “I was beginning to think that we were going to be here forever.”

“Yeah, she’s done,” Tommy replied as he took Whitney by the shoulder and began to guide her forward. Whitney reluctantly walked forward. Her steps were tentative and small and her throat began to tighten up as people brushed by her.

God Tommy, I don’t like this, she thought to her brother.

Riley quickly got up from the table and caught up with Tommy and Whitney. She grabbed Whitney’s other hand. “Blind person coming through,” she announced. “Make some room, People!”

On the one hand Whitney hated that this much attention was being drawn to her, but on the other hand Riley’s ploy and demands were being met. Her announcement that a blind person was there, and was trying to make their way out from under the pavilion was working. People looked at Whitney, recognized that she was the person that the little girl was hollering about, and they quickly made a path for Whitney to get out which was a relief. She was beginning to feel like hotdog in there.

She might be a little chitlen, but she’s actually starting to grow on me, Whitney thought to Tommy.

Yeah, Tommy thought back. She’s a little rascal sometimes, but she’s okay.

Jacob and Jessica trailed behind Tommy, Whitney and little Riley as they made their way onto the street, but Jacob quickly made his way to Tommy’s side as their feet hit the pavement. “What do you wanna ride first? Should we start with something easy and work our way up, or should we just go for the gusto?”

“The gusto for sure,” Tommy replied as he began looking for a ticket booth.

“I wanna ride the Ferris Wheel,” Riley announced. “Who’s going on the Ferris Wheel with me?”

“Not me,” Jessica said as the group headed off toward the ticket line. “The Ferris Wheel is BO boring!”

“You’re Bo boring,” Riley replied.

“You’re Bo Boring,” Jessica answered back sarcastically. “Twerp!”

The group of them made the end of the ticket line and began waiting for their turn to purchase tickets. “We’ll ride the Taz first, Riley and then I’ll go on the Ferris Wheel with you,” Jacob said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close