The Onyx Ravens - Cover

The Onyx Ravens

Copyright© 2019 by Christopher Podhola

Chapter 5

Setting up the Ambush

“How long do you think we’ll have to wait?” Cree asked Decker.

It wouldn’t be long until the sun plopped its weary hide over the horizon and Decker knew that it wouldn’t be much longer. As a matter of fact, he was surprised that they had to wait this long, but Jacob wasn’t dumb enough to wait until after dark. At least that’s what he figured. Only time would tell for sure.

He also knew that Jacob would be coming their way because it was the shortest route. He could elect to take the roads, but that would add another hour onto their walk—cutting across Jessup’s creek was the only option that made sense, and their ambush was set up surrounding a clearing along the path that they’d be taking. Decker’s gang had the clearing surrounded. All they had to do was wait for their unsuspecting prey.

“Half hour at the most I’d say,” Decker answered. Both he and Cree were posted against a pair of trees. There were bushes in between themselves and the clearing where they were sitting, Indian style, with their backs against the trees.

“Man, Decker,” Cree said as he rubbed his jaw. “You really did a number on me earlier.”

“Quit whining. You did good for your first time. I actually broke a sweat before I got my first point in. The other guys didn’t last half as long.”

“Yeah, well ... I value my face.”

“Relax. Girls love a guy with bruises. You’ll probably end up getting a date out of it,” Decker said as he took another drag on his cigarette.

“You gonna hit her as hard as you hit me?” Cree asked.

“No,” Decker said. “You are.”

“Whoah, wait a second,” Cree said. He shifted himself sideways so that he could look Decker straight on. “I don’t think I can hit a girl.”

“Don’t look at it that way then. You’ll be doing her a favor. Believe me. The reason I ended up bruising you up so bad was because I was picturing her face. If I go against her I might end up killing the bitch and I’m not ready to go to prison for the rest of my life.”

“Yeah, but...”

“But nothing, Cree! You wanna be a part of our gang? You gotta do this for me! I swear if I do it I really will kill the bitch! You’re my cousin for cripes sake,” Decker said with a glare.

“Well maybe I could just scare her a bit.”

“Scare shit! I want you to bust her up. I want you to make her pay ten times over! And if you don’t I’m gonna make you pay for what she did!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close