The Onyx Ravens - Cover

The Onyx Ravens

Copyright© 2019 by Christopher Podhola

Chapter 10

Burying the Past

Whitney sat on her bed, alone, quiet, and in her dark and silent world, contemplating what to do next, fingers dancing in her old familiar way, pinky, ring, index, middle, while she contemplated the move she was about to make.

For some inexplicable reason that Whitney could not explain; Decker had taken the blame for what she had done. At first she had contemplated telling Tommy the truth. The idea of allowing Decker to take responsibility for killing Cree had seemed almost as bad to her as doing it had been. But as the police began to arrive, and the questions began to come, everything seemed to play out on its own. Everyone seemed to just accept that Decker had killed Cree and everyone in the clearing was pointing their fingers at him. It wasn’t just Decker that was saying that Decker killed Cree, everyone was.

There was a part of Whitney that wanted to believe them. There was a part of Whitney that was so horrified by her actions and wanted to believe what they were saying so badly, that she kept the truth to herself.

But it was more than just that.

She was still very much aware, and she was very much aware of a lot of different things. Whitney still wasn’t privy to all of the facts that were involved. The exact truth to her situation was still a little beyond her grasp, but she knew that there was much more to her and Tommy’s situation than they were previously aware of.

The first of which was that she and Tommy were not from this world.

On the surface that realization seemed crazy to her. But that sense of danger, being in a life and death situation, had awakened something in her. Her mind had stretched out in ways that it had never stretched out before, accumulating data in her environment, but also accumulating things from an environment that was so far away, it could not be touched completely by her mind. There were flashes of things that did not exist in this world, and upon inspection, they were flashes of things that did match some of the things in Tommy’s dreams. She had copies of his dreams with her. What had previously only existed behind Tommy’s locked door, now also existed in her mind.

She could understand why Tommy would want to keep those things from her. He wanted to keep them from her because he didn’t believe she could handle them. He wanted to keep them from her because he didn’t understand what he was dreaming. Those dreams would not make sense to him, but they wouldn’t make sense to him because he was thinking in the wrong terms. He viewed the world in a very logical way, a ‘what you see is what you get’, way. In Tommy’s world monsters didn’t exist and many of his dreams contained monster like creatures that were so deadly, and so powerful that bullets didn’t seem to penetrate the armor that was their skin.

Whitney saw herself in that other world and it was a self that was completely different. She saw herself even younger than she was now, wearing the outfit of a warrior, her hair thick, dyed white in strands, the eager look of a warrior on the hunt, two swords in her hands as she defended herself. She saw those that had joined her in battle as they fought against mighty giants with hammerheads and green eyes. Some of the warriors that joined her were human, some were not. Two of them were grey skinned women with silver eyes much like her own, who fought with the speed of lightening as they pursued their quest for something they thought of as the Pockets of the Prim. Two more were dragon like beings with the manes of lions and the faces of dogs.

They were from another world. Whitney knew that now, and somehow the awful creatures that existed in the world where they did come from were going to end up in this one. For some reason they were in this world either to combat those creatures or, if at all possible, prevent them from even coming, but that was for later in their life. His dreams confirmed that much too. They had years to prepare for it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close