Twinfinity: Quest for the Prim Pockets - Cover

Twinfinity: Quest for the Prim Pockets

Copyright© 2019 by Christopher Podhola

Prologue

Bolimar

More than 10,000 years prior in a land known as Messolin, on a planet called Bolimar.

Jo-Laina exited the cave; her eyes cast downward, hands at her sides, as she walked to her only true friend left alive. Argimos waited for her to come back to him. The blood on his furry maroon mane had long since dried, some of it his, but most of it, not. Many of the scales along his back were damaged, his tail in one piece, but broken half way to the blade shaped point at the end and his massive muscles trembled at his weight.

Jo-Laina came to him, lifting one hand to his cheek, kissing his snout, before embracing him fully. Do you think they will understand the message? She thought to him.

We have no choice but to trust that they will, Jo-Laina. If they make it this far.

You trust that he’s telling us the truth? That he sees things properly? You know how premonitions go. Too many branches to trust in just one.

Doesn’t really matter now, does it? It’s too late to change course, and our paths are already set. They have made sure that we have no way off this mountain.

The Barakai stationed in front of him almost seemed to know that he was thinking about them. The four in front raised themselves, opening their chest-plates as if demanding the start of their meal right then.

I’m scared Argimos, for the sake of all the Gods, I’m terrified.

Argimos couldn’t help but to chuckle. The mighty Jo-Laina. The girl who knows no fear? Who has created an entire city on her own? Did what everyone said couldn’t be done, forming the greatest society that has ever existed, and who has delivered more names to the ribbon than any other Prim? I doubt it.

Will it hurt?

Argimos took a very deep and very long breath. Unfortunately, yes. It will be excruciating, and the pain will last for a long time. That is why they chose this death for us.

Jo-Laina pulled away from Argimos and entered his mind completely. She knew she shouldn’t do it, but she couldn’t help it. She looked, through his eyes, at the Barakai and their exoskeleton bodies. She saw their massive triangular heads, their black eyes and their long front arms with the hooks at the ends, used for drawing in their prey. They did look like they were praying. It was what everyone said that had witnessed a death given by these horrifying creatures. That they seemed like they prayed over you before they drew you into their chests.

She will grow up to be ashamed of what she is ... who she is.

That is the plan for all Baran-Dak-Toi, yes. From here on out they will be thought of as tainted.

How could I have failed so drastically? She thought as she took her first step forward. Why couldn’t I unite our peoples? Was wanting that so bad?

Argimos retook his place by her side. Matching her forward step and closing the distance toward their fate.

Don’t worry. The deaths of my people will be no better than ours. We gave them a choice, but their hatred was stronger than your love, I’m afraid. We did all we could.

The chest of all of the Barakai opened as both Jo-Laina and Argimos neared them. Their arms stretched forward, resting on Jo-Laina’s shoulder, pausing for almost a full minute as the creature salivated over her. Pain soared through her, ricocheting throughout her entire body as the acid within softened her skin.

May the Gods forgive me! May the people of Messolin forgive me, and please may the next Jo-Laina have it within her heart to forgive what I’ve done!

The roar of Argimos filled the sky above the Dead Mountains, as the Barakai drew him into the jaws within their chest, but Jo-Laina died silently.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close