Star Guardian 2
Chapter 51: Reception

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

A while later, one of our security came over to me.

“Sir, we have run out of time for shopping today. You need to prepare for the reception,” he said.

We’d spent too much time shopping for outfits. It was more correct to say they’d spent too much time. I’d finished my shopping much sooner.

One of the sales assistants came over to me. “Sir, your formal suit is ready for you in a dressing room. If you’ll follow me.”

I got up and followed the sales assistant together with one of our Gober security to a dressing room. Gober security waited outside, but the sales assistant took me inside, where my outfit was hanging waiting for me.

I looked at the sales assistant.

“Sir, if you will remove your clothing, I will help you change into your new outfit,” she said.

I looked to her and the formal suit nearby, then I shrugged. The away team uniform offered me protection, and I was reluctant to give it up, but I had little choice. This was a formal reception with a Gober dignitary. I unfastened my away team uniform and removed it.

“This uniform is of an interesting material,” she said.

“Our uniforms are classified Baglogi technology,” I said.

She looked worried. “Sir, I promise I will keep them secure until you return for them.”

I looked her in the eye and nodded. I couldn’t tell if she’d examine it after we left the store or not.

Then came the new outfit.

I expected a formal suit to be stiff and uncomfortable, but I was wrong. It fit me perfectly, including the shoes. When I looked in the mirror, what I saw impressed me greatly. The sales assistant fussed with the seams and adjustments to my outfit until it satisfied her.

I left the dressing room, and we returned to the private room. My crewmates were not there. I turned to the sales assistant.

“They are changing and will return soon. The clothes you were wearing and your other purchases will be here waiting for you after the reception,” she said.

“Thank you. Your services are excellent,” I replied. I think it was the right thing as she smiled and blushed a deeper blue-green.

A few minutes later, Jem, Laine, and Mina returned. They each wore amazing outfits. I was a surprise. I saw them every day in jumpsuits and sometimes bathing suits, but this was on a whole new level.

“Wow!” I said.

Jem approached me and gave me an appraising look.

“Wow yourself, Commander, you look perfect!” exclaimed Jem.

“I wish I had time to enhance the protection offered by these outfits,” I said.

“We’re safe here. Perhaps when we return to Ship you can do something then,” she replied.

Gober security interrupted and said we had to leave for the reception. They guided us from the store and back to the street.


Streets in the bazaar were strictly pedestrians only. I figured they moved cargo on a lower level, because I did not see any deliveries on this level.

Our detail escorted us several blocks to a large government building. The walk was a nice change after sitting and looking at holograms for hours.

Our security guided us to the main entrance. I was trying to imagine how an entitled being should act in such an event.

We approached a large room and our security spoke briefly to another Gober at the doorway. I noticed many beings waited in the room standing and talking with each other.

A holo-camera hovered above head height and approached our group. A huge display in the room showed our image.

The being spoke into a microphone and I heard it amplified throughout the room. It was in Gober, which I didn’t understand. On the display, it showed a translation in at least three languages, including Ori.

“Announcing Commander Brian of the Baglogi vessel, Most special friend of the monarchy of Dentra and diplomatic ambassador for the Ori Confederation. He is with members of his crew...”

“Woah!” said Laine.

“Brian, smile and wave at the camera,” ordered Jem. I smiled my best smile and waved to the camera and those in the room. I heard cheering in all directions. These Gobers were friendly beings.

We stepped into the room and beings moved back to allow us to pass. I felt nervous, and I looked back for our security detail. They did not enter the room.

“What do we do now?” I asked Jem. I was uncomfortable and unnerved.

“We wait for our host to find us,” she replied.

The holo-camera continued to hover around us, and we featured on the large display.

Several beings approached us where we stood and spoke in unfamiliar languages.

I smiled and asked, “can you speak Ori?”

He gestured, and a server approached with a small tray. On it were small devices. He pointed at the tray, at me, and at his ear.

“I think they are translation earpieces. They each have ‘Ori’ written in Ori on the side,” said Mina.

I took a device and fitted it in my ear. I smiled at the being in front of me. “Is this correct?” I asked.

“Yes, Commander. Please have your group do the same,” he replied.

I smiled and nodded at Jem, Laine and Mina. They each took one and put it in their ear. The server left.

“Thank you. It makes life much easier. Can we start again?” I said.

“No problem. My name is Berbin, I am the Minister of Culture on Gober,” he said with a smile.

“Pleased to meet you minister Berbin. My name is Brian. I serve as Commander aboard the Baglogi vessel as you already know. Here is Commodore Jem, Ensigns Laine and Mina,” I said.

“Most charmed to meet you all. Commodore Jem, don’t you outrank a Commander? I assumed Brian was the leader,” said the minister.

I looked to Jem. “Yes. Brian holds the rank of Commander, and can lead missions and direct AIs and crew. I have responsibility for multiple vessels, hence my rank. Brian reports to me,” replied Jem.

“I see. I confused his title with his rank. Please accept my apologies,” replied the minister.

Jem smiled. “Brian earned his title for services to the princess of Dentra, it wasn’t a hereditary title. Prior to serving aboard our vessel he served in the Ori diplomatic core,” she said.

“This is the first time anyone noticed my title. I had intended to visit the bazaar as a regular being. Immigration spotted my title, and everything changed. I am sorry for the confusion, minister,” I said.

He kept eye contact with me and considered my words for a few moments.

“A title is a title, earned or inherited makes no difference. Gober is an ally of Dentra. They granted you a title, that is enough for me,” said the minister.

He turned to face each of us. “What is more important is your honesty. You sought to clarify what you considered a misunderstanding by our immigration officer rather than take advantage of it. That is highly commendable!”

I shrugged. Then I heard the surrounding beings cheering. I saw our images were still on the display. Below was a complete translation of our conversation with the minister. I thought it was private!

I pointed the display out to Jem, and the minister chuckled.

“Brian, you are the guest of honour. It is our custom to record such gatherings. It is not just for this room. We are being broadcast to all of Gober on the planet surface below, and throughout the system,” said the minister. Crap! Any of our enemies passing by will know where to find me.

“Oh! Should I say something to them?” I asked.

“Please do. Many Gobers have been waiting all day for this event,” he replied. Why are they waiting for me??

I looked at Jem. She was no help. She just grinned at me. Laine took my hand and squeezed.

“Gobers, I am honoured to be here. We came on a friendly visit. Your hospitality is overwhelming and touches my heart. I thank you.

“A while ago, I saved a princess from an assassination attempt on Dentra. She granted me a small title in appreciation. I thought nothing of it then. We haven’t returned to Dentra since, although we probably should. I am not here representing Dentra. I do not speak for Dentra. If you have a Dentra embassy, they can confirm this,” I said.

“Brian, permit me to introduce you to the Dentra ambassador,” said the minister.

A taller being joined our group. “Greetings to you Brian and your crew. I am ambassador Argin. I was there at the homecoming celebration, and I recall the events of that day. Minister, I can confirm that the Baglogi are true friends of Dentra.

“The princess granted Commander Brian the title ‘Most special friend of the monarchy’. It is the only title granted in over a century. I can also confirm that he is not here representing Dentra. Finally, I most definitely agree that they should return to Dentra as our honoured guests,” said the ambassador.

The ambassador took my hand in both of his and shook it. The surrounding beings cheered again.

A server arrived with a tray of beverages. We each took a glass. I went full Tian, by hiding within myself I could escape the chaos surrounding me. Outwardly I kept a calm and emotionless facade, while I pondered the question why? Why were they so interested in me?

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close