Star Guardian 2 - Cover

Star Guardian 2

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Chapter 52: Gober Prime

“Was that meant for us?” asked Laine.

“I think so. They probably intended to catch us as we returned to Ship. Let’s get through decontamination and head to the bridge,” replied Jem.

They left the clothing on the grav sled. After decontamination, they dressed and hurried to the main bridge.

“Ship, put a view of the orbital bazaar shuttle bay on the tactical display,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. The display showed damage and debris spread throughout the shuttle bay.

“What do you have on the explosion?” asked Jem.

“The focus of the blast was from where you docked your shuttle. It caused damage to adjacent shuttles and airlocks. The bazaar has survived without decompression,” replied Ship.

“Did they try to contact us yet?” asked Jem.

“Negative,” replied Ship.

“Who did that?” asked Laine.

“And why?” added Mina.

“We have more questions than answers. We received no formal declaration of war, and we can’t confirm a connection between the two events. I don’t know who to retaliate against,” said Jem.

“The minister was friendly and showed no open hostility to us. If they wanted to harm Brian, they did not have to go through the trouble of a reception,” said Mina.

“Ship, see if you can hack into their system network and find out everything you can, including where Brian is,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.

“And start pinging Brian every hour. If you get a response, track the location,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.

“Laine, Mina, until we get an update, we need to get some rest. I will need each of you alert when the time comes for action,” said Jem. Laine and Mina both nodded.

They left the main bridge and headed for their cabins.


I woke up with a dull headache. My vision was blurry and I couldn’t think straight. What happened?? It must be something important; but it was beyond my grasp.

“Ugh!” I groaned. I moved my arms and legs, struggling to overcome the inertia. Where are we? Where are my crewmates?

I felt something damp on my forehead. Someone was putting a damp cloth to my head. I tried to reach for them and failed.

“Try to remain still, it will get better soon,” said a voice in my ear.

I took a deep breath and tried to rub the sleep out of my eyes. Then I blinked and my eyes started to behave. I lay in a strange bed. Turning my head, I found a Gober dressed in a uniform, standing beside the bed.

“Hello,” I croaked. “What happened?”

“Hello, sir. It appears you had too much to drink last night,” he replied. I realized that I still had that earpiece in my ear and it was translating for me.

He offered me a glass with a straw. I sipped what I found to be water. It helped with my throat.

“Thank you. I recall it was something fruity tasting,” I said.

“That is rather a strong drink, sir. I fear you had an extreme reaction to it,” he said.

My head was clearing somewhat. “Where am I?” I asked.

“You are in the Imperial palace, sir, as a guest of Her Imperial Majesty,” he replied.

I remembered nothing about a palace. The last I recalled was a reception in my honour.

He offered me more water. I sipped on it.

“Where are my crewmates?” I asked.

“I don’t know, sir. We brought you here alone last night,” he replied.

“I need to contact them, to let them know I am alive,” I said.

“The doctor ordered complete rest, with no communication devices. I can pass a message for you, sir,” he replied.

“Please inform my crewmates I am recovering, and will contact them as soon as I can,” I said.

“Very well, sir. If that is everything, I suggest you get some more rest,” he said.

I nodded as best I could while in bed. He backed away and left the room.

I suddenly was tired and sleep took me again.


The lights came on in Jem’s cabin.

“Attention, Commodore,” said Ship.

Jem turned over in her bed.

“Go ahead, Ship,” said Jem.

“I have gained access to their system network. I can confirm that Brian travelled to Gober Prime. They took him to the Imperial Palace,” replied Ship.

“Well, your intel matches what the minister told us last night,” said Jem.

“I couldn’t get any information on the bomb or the beings behind it,” replied Ship.

“Anything else?” asked Jem. She checked the chronometer to find she had slept about six hours.

“I received a message from the Imperial Palace. It says that Brian is sleeping off an excess of alcohol consumed at the reception. He will contact us as soon as he recovers,” replied Ship.

“That makes sense. It is the explosion that doesn’t. What is the official story?” asked Jem.

“They report no casualties, and the investigation is ongoing,” replied Ship.

“Will it interfere with us returning to the bazaar?” asked Jem.

“Negative, only four airlocks are out of service, many more are available,” replied Ship.

“Thank you Ship. In an hour, please invite Laine and Mina to join me for breakfast in the main dining lounge,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

The lights went off again.


A familiar twitching in my arm woke me from my sleep. I felt much better than last time. Looking around the room confirmed I was alone, so I tapped my finger and thumb five times.

I moved with more ease now and pushed back the covers. I rolled out to the side of a huge bed. The bedroom was the largest I had slept in ever.

On the side of the bed, I got my sense of balance before standing. I discovered I was wearing a luxurious sleeping outfit. Not what I’d wear aboard Ship.

I found the en-suite and did my morning routine. There was even a real water shower, like the one I experienced on Ori Major. When I returned, I found the bed remade and a fresh outfit on top. It wasn’t the same outfit I’d purchased, but another one.

This outfit was a more casual design, and it fit me perfectly. I’d not bought it yesterday, but they must have got my measurements from the vendor. A nice touch.

As soon as I dressed, the Gober returned. He stood in the doorway.

“You appear much better this morning, sir. If you will follow me, your breakfast is waiting,” he said.

The mere mention of breakfast made me hungry.

I followed the Gober into an adjacent room that was larger than the bedroom. It opened onto a patio that contained a table and chairs. The patio offered a view of an exotic garden.

“Excuse me, what should I call you?” I asked.

“My name is Paso, sir,” he replied. He directed me to sit at the table facing out at the garden.

“This is a magnificent garden, Paso,” I said.

“I like to think so, sir. For your breakfast, I was uncertain to go with Tian, Ori, or Dentra cuisine. I prepared all three. Which do you prefer?” asked Paso.

“Definitely not Tian food, it’s too bland for me. I’ll try the Ori food,” I replied.

He brought a tray and placed it in front of me and lifted a cover to reveal a plate of hot food.

“This looks great, thank you!” I said.

“You’re welcome. And something to drink?” asked Paso.

My favourite drink was coffee, but I did not expect it here. “A glass of water please,” I said.

He placed a fancy glass beside my plate and poured water into it from a jug.

There was one setting at the table.

“Paso, are you permitted to eat with me?” I asked.

“Oh no, sir. My role is to serve your needs,” he replied.

Picking up a utensil, I started eating a most delicious breakfast. I could get used to this!

I looked at Paso. “Why was I brought to the Imperial Palace? If I had too much to drink last night, it would have been easier to take me somewhere aboard the bazaar to sleep it off,” I asked.

“I don’t know the answer to your question, sir,” he replied. He refilled my glass with water.

“I thought you don’t allow visitors to Gober Prime?” I asked.

“You are correct in your thinking, sir. You are the first off-world visitor I have had the privilege to serve,” replied Paso.

“I suppose this has something to do with my title?” I asked.

“Most certainly, sir. Although I am not privy to the details,” he replied.

I finished my breakfast and pushed my plate back.

“Thank you for breakfast, Paso. What is on my schedule for today?” I asked. I sipped my water as I looked at him.

“Her Imperial Majesty ordered to be informed when you are awake. I have already taken the liberty of doing that. I expect she will grant you an audience soon,” replied Paso. He cleared away the plates from the table.

I took in a deep breath of fresh air from the garden. I detected a trace of a fruity perfume.

“Paso, I have not met an empress before today. What is the protocol?” I asked.

“Start with Your Imperial Majesty. If she favours you, she will let you know how to address her. Do not approach her without consent and do not turn your back on her. Beyond that, general politeness,” Paso replied.

“Thank you, that is helpful. No doubt she will have answers to my questions,” I said. Paso nodded.


The lights came on in Jem’s cabin.

“Attention, Commodore,” said Ship.

“Is it time for breakfast?” asked Jem.

“I have located the Commander. He responded to a ping,” said Ship. Jem jumped out of bed.

“Where is he?” asked Jem.

“He is in the Imperial Palace on Gober Prime,” replied Ship.

“Thank you Ship. Invite Laine and Mina to join me for breakfast in the main dining lounge,” said Jem.

Jem got cleaned and changed and left her cabin for the main dining lounge. She met Laine and Mina on the way.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close