Star Guardian 2 - Cover

Star Guardian 2

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Chapter 61: Investigation

Back in our suite, we closed the doors, and I deactivated my adaptive camouflage and flopped down into a sofa.

Laine sat on my lap, Jem and Mina sat either side of me.

“That was fun!” said Laine. “We kicked their Varech butts.”

“It wasn’t fun for the Dentra crews on the patrol vessels,” said Jem.

Laine looked at Jem.

“It is disturbing to see Varech turn up in Dentra. I want to know why. We got rid of their tracking device,” I said.

“What if they got another tracking device aboard Ship?” asked Laine.

I called Ship on my communicator. “Ship, please reconfigure your internal sensors to detect a narrow-band inverse-tachyon pulse, like the one we found aboard Quon,” I said.

“Confirmed, Commander. It will take at least thirty minutes for a full scan,” replied Ship.

“Thank you, Ship.” I closed the call.

“Are they the same vessels we met in the Avalon system?” asked Mina.

“That is a good question,” I replied. I called Ship on my communicator again. “Ship, please compare the vessels from tonight against recordings from the Varech we met in the Avalon system.”

“Confirmed ... The markings on the Varech vessels appear the same,” replied Ship.

“Thank you, Ship.” I closed the call.

“So they gave up chasing our probe,” said Jem.

I nodded. It couldn’t keep their attention forever.

“And after chasing our probe, what brought them here?” asked Jem.

“That is assuming we don’t find another tracking device,” I said.

“The Lagaid discovered we had visited Gober, and that you had a title from Dentra,” said Mina.

“The Gobers broadcast it throughout their system. Who knows how far the message spread?” said Laine.

“I wonder if the Varech visited the Gober system?” I mused.

“If they did, we were not there. As soon as they found out, they would have left,” replied Jem.

“They may have caused extensive damage in the Gober system,” said Mina.

“It is possible they came here first. We won’t know until we can decode the nav logs from the derelict vessels,” I said.

“Perhaps Ship will have answers for us tomorrow. Let’s get to sleep,” said Jem.

I turned and entered a bedroom.


Captain Suth piloted his shuttle to the surface of Aenat Prime. From the spaceport, he travelled by monorail to Fleet HQ.

On arrival, they ushered him into the office of Admiral Kel, his direct supervisor. He stood in front of the Admiral’s large desk at attention.

The Admiral looked up from his display and saw the Captain waiting for him.

“You are back early, Captain Suth. I heard you have a classified matter to discuss?” asked the Admiral.

“Yes, Sir! We encountered something unusual when we explored a system in this region,” he replied. He pointed at a location on a star chart on the wall.

“What did you discover, Captain?” inquired the Admiral.

“As soon as we entered the system we received warnings, that it was a closed system. I took that for an automated recording, so I ignored it and continued further into the system,” he replied.

“Did you detect anything on scans?” asked the Admiral.

“No, Sir! There was no sign of other vessels or other threats,” he replied.

“Then what happened?” asked the Admiral.

“All our displays and control panels went blank. They completely took control of our vessel. Then the voice addressed me by name. They said they were the Baglogi, and they were returning our vessel to our home system. Then our vessel returned here to the Aenat system. Once we arrived, our systems came back online,” he replied.

“So you say that a foreign entity, the Baglogi, took control of your vessel and ejected you from that system?” asked the Admiral.

“Yes Sir! And when our systems came back, I found they had erased all data on that system from our navigation system. The voice threatened to destroy our vessel if we returned,” said Captain Suth.

“Hmmm,” said the Admiral.

“I have ordered no shore leave or communications. I did not want word to leak out,” added Captain Suth.

“Very well, Captain. You did the right thing to report it to me. I order you and your crew not to discuss this incident with anyone. It is a forbidden topic for discussion, with a penalty of death. Return to your vessel and await further orders,” said the Admiral.

Captain Suth saluted and left the Admiral’s office.

After the Captain left, the Admiral began searching their archives for any reference to a race known as Baglogi...


The next day, I awoke in a large bed. Since I joined up with the Baglogi, I’ve stayed in several palaces and luxury hotel suites.

I did my morning routine and moved to the lounge. My crewmates were still asleep, so I had time to myself.

I walked over to the food dispenser and ordered a coffee. It was something I did every morning, a creature of habit. As I sipped the beverage, I realized that Ship had programmed the food dispenser here to know what coffee was.

The little details.

I took a seat on the couch and called Ship on my communicator.

“Good morning, Ship. How goes the investigation?” I asked.

“Investigation of the derelict vessels continues. So far, I have not decoded their computer cores. No hostile vessels have arrived since last night. The results of the internal scan were negative,” replied Ship.

“Thank you, Ship. And thank you for the coffee,” I said.

“You’re welcome, Commander,” replied Ship.

I sipped my coffee and thought for a while. At least we didn’t find another tracking device aboard Ship. Perhaps the Varech stumbled on this system by accident.

“Ship, if the Varech returned in similar numbers, what are the chances of survival for Dentra after we leave?” I asked.

“Their chances of survival are minimal. Their patrol vessels were the best they had,” replied Ship.

“That’s what I thought. I can’t leave our ally open to attacks. Can you salvage enough materials from the derelict vessels to fabricate a network of defensive probes for this system?” I asked.

“Confirmed. There is enough to build a defensive network,” replied Ship.

“I’d want them to remain hidden until needed. Include enough AI for them to work together, without the need for a central AI controlling them,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“And I want them to avoid friendly vessels. I’d prefer not to tell Dentra we set up a defensive network in their system. Communication with Dentra system control is a last resort,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Begin dismantling the derelict vessels and build the defensive probes. If you find any Varech weaponry, you can include it in the probes if possible. I want to know Dentra is safe once we leave,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I closed the communications channel.

It was still early, and the others were still sleeping. I got up and activated my adaptive camouflage. Then I walked to the main doors and cracked them open.

Just outside the door stood a palace steward.

“Good morning, Sir!” she said.

“Good morning. Have you been here all night?” I asked.

“We take shifts, in case our honoured guests need anything during the night,” she replied.

“My crewmates are still asleep. I woke up early,” I said.

“I can order anything you want from the kitchens,” she offered.

“No, thank you. I already had a coffee. I was thinking to take a walk in the palace gardens,” I said.

“Sir, I can escort you to the gardens,” she said. She called into a communicator. “I arranged for another steward to replace me.”

A moment later, another steward arrived. The first one gestured for me to follow her.


I followed the steward along various corridors in the palace complex.

“Thank you for taking care of me and my crewmates,” I said.

“It is our job to care for the princess and her honoured guests,” she replied.

We reached an archway that opened onto a garden. The view reminded me of my brief visit to Gober.

“This is very nice,” I said.

“There is more,” she replied. She gestured to continue.

We walked along a path which curved between various bushes and plants. I noticed familiar scents.

We crossed over a small footbridge over a stream. Everything in the garden looked perfect. It felt too familiar. It was as if I was back on Gober Prime.

This was not calming me as I had hoped. I was about to turn around and return to our suite, when the path opened out into a clearing.

I turned, expecting to see the steward beside me, but she was no longer there.

Looking back towards the clearing, I expected to see a covered area with seating and a small table. That would have made the experience complete.

Except the clearing was missing any structure or furniture.

I turned back in the direction I came, intent on leaving. I had only just recovered, and this was triggering me.

“Brian?” asked a voice from behind me.

I turned to see the princess approaching. Crap! She must have read the same manual.

“Good morning Your Royal Highness,” I replied.

The princess wore a much less formal, less royal-looking outfit. It hugged her form and stressed her features. I suspect it was for my benefit. She was without her attendants, or at least they kept out of sight. She looked at my face and pointed at my head.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close