Shamar's War - Cover

Shamar's War

Copyright© 2019 by Kris Neville

Chapter IV

During the week alone in the cabin, Ge-Ge fell in love with Shamar.

“Oh, my God!” she cried. “What will I do when they catch you? I’ll die, Shamar! I couldn’t bear it. We’ll go to Xxla, we’ll hide away as quietly as two mice, somewhere. We won’t go out. The two of us, alone but together, behind closed doors and drawn shades. Nobody will ever know about us. We’ll be the invisible people.”

Shamar protested. “I don’t see how we can ever be secure until something’s done about your government. As long as you don’t reach some kind of agreement with Earth, I’ll be an outlaw. I’ll be afraid any minute they’ll tap my shoulder and come and take me away. I don’t think we could hold up under that. We’d be at each other in no time.”

She wept quietly.

The last day in the cabin, they went out and dug up the rest of the money. The trip to Xxla took place without incident. Ge-Ge rented an apartment for him, and he safely checked in. She went shopping for food and clothing.

Thereafter she came nearly every evening. They would eat and she would reveal the inconsequential details of the office regime to which she was daily exposed. After dinner, they would sit in the living room and practice Itraian and neck a little. Then she would go home.

One day, after a month of this routine, she threw herself into his arms and sobbed, “I gave Von Stutsman back his earring today. It was the only fair thing to do. I’m afraid he knows about us. He’s had me watched. I know he has. I admitted it was another man.”

Shamar held her tensely.

She broke away. “You were born in Zuleb, you suffered amnesia, you woke up in a ditch one morning without papers. You’ve been an itinerant worker since. Things like that happen all the time. You hit a big lottery ticket a few months ago. I told him that. How can he check it?”

“You told him I didn’t have any papers?”

“Millions of people don’t have any papers--the drifters, people that do casual labor, the people that don’t work at all. The thing is, without papers he doesn’t have any way to check on you. Oh, you should have seen his face when I gave him back his earring. He was absolutely livid. I didn’t think he had it in him. I suppose I’ll have to quit my job now. Oh, if you only had papers so we could be married!”

Ge-Ge’s mood, that evening, alternated between despair and optimism. In the end, she was morose and restless. She repeated several times, “I just don’t know what’s going to happen to us.”

“Ge-Ge,” he said, “I can’t spend my life in this apartment I’ve got to get out.”

“You’re mad.” She faced him from across the room. She stood with her legs apart, firmly set. “Well, I don’t care what happens any more. I can’t stand things to go on like they are. I’ll introduce you to some people I know, since you won’t be happy until I do. But God help us!”


After approving his accent, which had improved under her tutelage, Ge-Ge took him to a party the following Saturday.

The party was held in an ill-lighted railroad flat. People congregated cross-legged on the bare floor.

Shamar listened to a man complaining that citizens were being taxed beyond all endurance to support the enforced automation program. “They aren’t interested in building consumer goods. They’re interested in building factories to build consumer goods and blow them up testing them. Or the factories are always obsolete just as soon as they finish them, and they can’t phase into their new production setup and Hundred Year Plan.”

Ge-Ge whispered a warning to him to beware of spies.

“Spies?”

“The Party,” she said, drawing him to one side.

“But--but--you mean the Party just lets people talk like this?”

“Whatever harm does it do?” she asked. “Everybody benefits from talking out their aggressions. Now, have another drink and relax, and Shamar, be careful! Nobody minds local crackpots, but nobody wants foreign crackpots!”

She led him to another drink and left him standing with the host.

“Nice party,” Shamar said.

“Thank you,” the host said. “I find it very invigorating. As long as there’s still people that think and that criticize on this planet, I feel there’s hope, don’t you? This is your first time? I don’t recall your face. I have a study group that meets Wednesday nights. You’re welcome to come. We have very stimulating discussions about government and politics. Please do come, any time you can. Just drop in any time after eight. What was your name again?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close