The Return
Chapter IV

Public Domain

The Tenant smiled at Loudons and said, “Your courtesy does not excuse our stupidity. We know our history and we should have identified the word accurately.

“Yes, we were originally a ... a pla-toon of soldiers, two hundred years ago, at the time when the Wars ended. The old Toon, and the First Tenant, were guarding POWs, and there, sir,”--to Loudons--”is a word we cannot trace. We have no idea what they were. In any event, the pows were all killed by a big bomb, and the First Tenant, Lieutenant Gilbert Dunbar, took his platoon and started to march to DeeCee, where the government was.

“But there was no government any more.

“They fought with people along the way. When they needed food, or ammunition, or animals to pull their wagons, they took them, and killed those who tried to prevent them. Other people joined the toon, and when they found women they wanted, they took them.

“They did all sorts of things that would have been crimes if there had been any law, but since there was no law, it was obvious that they could be no crime.

“The First Ten--Lieutenant--kept his men together, because he had The Books. Each evening, at the end of each day’s march, he read to his men out of them.”

Altamont knew without looking at his associate that Loudons would be inconspicuously jotting down notes. The last was an item the sociologist would be sure to record: the white-bearded Tenant had pronounced that reference to a written testament in capital letters.

The story was continuing...

“ ... finally, they came here. There had been a town here, but it had been burned and destroyed, and there were people camping in the ruins.

“Some of them fought and were killed, others came in and joined the platoon.

“At first, they built shelters around this building and made this their fort. Then they cleared away the ruins, and built new houses. When the cartridges for the rifles began to get scarce, they began to make gunpowder, and new rifles, like these we are using now, to shoot without cartridges.

“Lieutenant Dunbar did this out of his own knowledge because there is nothing in The Books about making gunpowder. The guns in The Books are rifles and shotguns and revolvers and airguns. Except for the airguns, which we haven’t been able to make, these all shot cartridges.

“As with your people, we did not die out because we too had women. Neither did we increase greatly--too many died or were killed young. But several times we’ve had to tear down the wall and rebuild it, to make room inside for more houses. And we’ve been clearing out a little more land for the fields each year.

“We still read and follow the teachings of The Books: we have made laws for ourselves out of them.”

There was a silence during which Altamont felt himself to be the focus of attention; not obtrusively, but, nonetheless, insistently. However, this was Loudon’s field and Altamont preferred not to speak.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close