Gold in the Sky
Chapter 8: The Scavengers of Space

Public Domain

The casual observer might have been fooled. Tawney’s guard was down only for an instant; then the expression of cold fury and determination on his face dropped away as though the shutter of a camera had clicked, and he was all smiles and affability. They were honored guests here, one would have thought, and this pudgy agent of the Jupiter Equilateral combine was their genial host, anxious for their welfare, eager to do anything he could for their comfort...

They were amazed by the luxuriousness of the ship. For the next few hours they received the best treatment, sumptuous accommodations, excellent food.

They were finishing their second cup of coffee when Tawney asked, “Feeling better, gentlemen?”

“You do things in a big way,” Johnny said. “This is real coffee, made from grounds. Must have cost a fortune to ship it out here.”

Tawney spread his hands. “We keep it for special occasions. Like when we have special visitors.”

“Even when the visits aren’t voluntary,” Greg added sourly.

“We have to be realistic,” Tawney said. “Would you have come if we invited you? Of course not. You gentlemen chose to come out to the Belt in spite of my warnings. You thus made things very awkward for us, upset certain of our plans.” He looked at Greg. “We don’t ordinarily allow people to upset our plans, but now we find that we’re forced to include you in our plans, whether you happen to like the idea or not.”

“You’re doing a lot of talking,” Greg said. “Why don’t you come to the point?”

Tawney was no longer smiling. “We happen to know that your father struck a rich lode on one of his claims.”

“That’s interesting,” Greg said. “Did Dad tell you that?”

“He didn’t have to. A man can’t keep a secret like that, not for very long. Ask your friend here, if you don’t believe me. And we make it our business to know what’s going on out here. We have to, in order to survive.”

“Well, suppose you heard right. The law says that what a man finds on his own claim is his.”

“Certainly,” Tawney said. “Nobody would think of claim-jumping, these days. But when a man happens to die before he can bring in his bonanza, then it’s a question of who gets there first, wouldn’t you think?”

“Not when the man is murdered,” Greg said hotly, “not by a long shot.”

“But you can’t prove that your father was murdered.”

“If I could, I wouldn’t be here.”

“Then I think we’ll stick to the law,” Tawney said, “and call it an accident.”

“And what about my brother? Was that an accident?”

“Ah, yes, your brother.” Tawney’s eyes hardened. “Quite a different matter, that. Sometimes Doc tends to be over-zealous in carrying out his assigned duties. I can assure you that he has been ... disciplined.”

“That’s not going to help Tom very much.”

“Unfortunately not,” Tawney said. “Your brother made a very foolish move, under the circumstances. But from a practical point of view, perhaps it’s not entirely a tragedy.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“From what I’ve heard,” Tawney said, “you didn’t have much use for your twin brother. And now you certainly won’t have to share your father’s legacy...”

It was too much. With a roar Greg swung at the little fat man. The blow caught Tawney full in the jaw, jerked his head back. Greg threw his shoulder into a hard left, slamming Tawney back against the wall. The guard charged across the room, dragging them apart as Tawney blubbered and tried to cover his face. Greg dug his elbow into the guard’s stomach, twisted away and started for Tawney again. Then Johnny caught his arm and spun him around. “Stop it,” he snapped. “Use your head, boy...”

Greg stopped, glaring at Tawney and gasping for breath. The company man picked himself up, rubbing his hand across his mouth. For a moment he trembled with rage. Then he gripped the table with one hand, forcibly regaining his control. He even managed a sickly smile. “Just like your father,” he said, “too hot-headed for your own good. But we’ll let it pass. I brought you here to make you an offer, a very generous offer, and I’ll still make it. I’m a businessman, when I want something I want I bargain for it. If I have to share a profit to get it, I share the profit. All right ... you know where your father’s strike is. We want it. We can’t find it, so you’ve got us over a barrel. We’re ready to bargain.”

Greg started forward. “I wouldn’t bargain with you for...”

“Shut up, Greg,” Johnny said.

Greg stared at him. The big miner’s voice had cracked like a whip; now he was drawing Merrill Tawney aside, speaking rapidly into his ear. Tawney listened, shot a venomous glance across at Greg, and finally nodded. “All right,” he said, “but I can’t wait forever...”

“You won’t have to.”

Tawney turned to the guard. “You have your orders,” he said. “They’re to have these quarters, and the freedom of the ship, except for the outer level. They’re not to be harmed, and they’re not to be out of your sight except when they’re locked in here. Is that clear?”

The guard nodded. Tawney looked at Johnny, and started for the door, still rubbing his jaw. “We’ll talk again later,” he said, and then he was gone.

When the guard had left, and the lock buzzed in the door, Johnny looked at Greg and shook his head sadly. “You just about fixed things, boy, you really did. You’ve got to use your head if you want to stay alive a while, that’s all. Look, there isn’t going to be any bargaining with Tawney, he just doesn’t work that way. It’s heads he wins, tails we lose. Once he has what he wants we won’t last six minutes. All right, then there’s just one thing that can keep us alive ... stalling him. We’ve got to make him think you’ll give in if he plays his cards right.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close