Gold in the Sky - Cover

Gold in the Sky

Public Domain

Chapter 12: The Sinister Bonanza

They were taken to a small, drab internment room. A half hour passed and still no word from the Major. From the moment the Patrol crew had boarded them, everything had seemed like a bad dream. The shock of the arrest, the realization that the Captain had been serious when he reeled off the charges lodged against them ... they had been certain it was some kind of ill-planned joke until they saw the delegation of Jupiter Equilateral officials waiting at the port to greet Merrill Tawney like a man returned from the dead. They had watched Tawney climb into the sleek company car and drive off toward the gate, while the Captain had escorted them without a word down to the internment rooms.

The door clicked, and the Captain looked in. “All right, come along now,” he said.

“Is the Major here?” Tom said.

“You’ll see the Major soon enough.” The Captain herded them into another room, where a clerk efficiently fingerprinted them. Then they went down a ramp to a jitney-platform, and boarded a U.N. official car. The trip into the city was slow; rush-hour traffic from the port was heavy. When they reached U.N. headquarters, there was another wait in an upper level ante-room. The Captain stood stiffly with his hands behind his back and ignored them.

“Look, this is ridiculous,” Greg burst out finally. “We haven’t done anything. You haven’t even let us make a statement.”

“Make your statement to the Major. It’s his headache, not mine, I’m happy to say.”

“But you let that man walk out of there scot free...”

The Captain looked at him. “If I were you,” he said, “I’d stop complaining and start worrying. If I had Jupiter Equilateral at my throat, I’d worry plenty, because once they start they don’t stop.”

A signal light blinked, and he took them downstairs. Major Briarton was behind his desk; his eyes tired, his face grim. He dismissed the Captain, and motioned them to seats. “All right, let’s have the story,” he said, “and by the ten moons of Saturn it had better be convincing, because I’ve about had my fill of you three.”

He listened without interruption as Tom told the story, with Greg and Johnny adding details from time to time. Tom told him everything, from the moment they had blasted off for Roger Hunter’s claim to the moment the Patrol ship had boarded them, except for a single detail.

He didn’t mention the remarkable gun from Roger Hunter’s gun case. The gun was still in the spacer’s pack he had slung over his shoulder; he had not mentioned it when the Patrolmen had taken their stunners away. Now as he talked, he felt a twinge of guilt in not mentioning it...

But he had a reason. Dad had died to keep that gun secret. It seemed only right to keep the secret a little longer. When he came to the part about their weapons, he simply spoke of “Dad’s gun” and omitted any details.

And through the story, the Major listened intently, interrupting only occasionally, pulling at his lip and scowling.

“So we decided that the best way to convince you that we had the evidence you wanted was to bring Tawney back with us,” Tom concluded.

“A brilliant maneuver,” the Major said dryly. “A real stroke of genius.”

“But then the Patrol ship intercepted us and told us we were under arrest. And when we landed, they let Tawney drive off without even questioning him.”

“The least we could do, under the circumstances,” the Major said.

“Well, I’d like to know why,” Greg broke in bitterly. “Why pick on us? We’ve just been telling you...”

“Yes, yes, I heard every word of it,” the Major sighed. “If you knew the trouble ... oh, what’s the use? I’ve spent the last three solid hours talking myself hoarse, throwing in every bit of authority I could muster and jeopardizing my position as Coordinator here, for the sole purpose of keeping you three idiots out of jail for a few hours.”

“Jail!”

“That’s what I said. The brig. The place they put people when they don’t behave. You three are sitting on a nice, big powder keg right now, and when it blows I don’t know how much of you is going to be left.”

“Do you think we’re lying?” Greg said.

“Do you know what you’re charged with?” the Major snapped back.

“Some sort of nonsense about piracy...”

“Plus kidnapping. Plus murder. To say nothing of totally disabling a seventeen-million-dollar orbit-ship and placing the lives of four hundred crewmen in jeopardy.” The Major picked up a sheet of paper from his desk. “According to Merrill Tawney’s statement, the three of you hijacked a company scout-ship that chanced to be scouting in the vicinity of your father’s claim. Your attack was unprovoked and violent. Everybody on Mars knows you were convinced that Jupiter Equilateral was responsible for your father’s death.” He looked up. “In the absence of any evidence, I might add, although I did my best to tell you that.” He rattled the report-sheet. “All right. You took the scout-ship by force, with the pilot at gunpoint, and made him home in on his orbit-ship. Then you proceeded to reduce that orbit-ship to a leaking wreck, although Tawney tried to reason with you and even offered you amnesty if you would desist. By the time the crew stopped shooting each other in the dark ... fifteen of them subsequently expired, it says here ... you had stolen another scout-ship and kidnapped Tawney for the purpose of extorting a confession out of Jupiter Equilateral, threatening him with torture if he did not comply...” The Major dropped the paper to the desk.

Johnny Coombs picked it up, looked at it owlishly, and put it back again. “Pretty large operation for three men, Major,” he said.

The Major shrugged. “You were armed. That orbit-ship was registered as a commercial vessel. It had no reason to expect a surprise attack, and had no way to defend itself.”

“They were armed to the teeth,” Greg said disgustedly. “Why don’t you send somebody out to look?”

“Oh, I could, but why waste the time and fuel? There wouldn’t be any weapons aboard.”

“Then how do they explain the fact that the Scavenger was blown to bits and Dad’s orbit-ship ripped apart from top to bottom?”

“Details,” the Major said. “Mere details. I’m sure that the company’s lawyers can muddy the waters quite enough so that little details like that are overlooked. Particularly with a sympathetic jury and a judge that plays along.”

He stood up and ran his hand through his hair. “All right, granted I’m painting the worst picture possible ... but I’m afraid that’s the way it’s going to be. I believe your story, don’t worry about that. I know why you went out there to the Belt and I can’t really blame you, I suppose. But you were asking for trouble, and that’s what you got. Frankly, I am amazed that you ever returned to Mars, and how you managed to make rubble of an orbit-ship with a crew of four hundred men trying to stop you is more than I can comprehend. But you did it. All right, fine. You were justified; they attacked you, held you prisoner, threatened you. Fine. They’d have cut your throats in another few hours, perhaps. Fine. I believe you. But there’s one big question that you can’t answer, and unless you can no court in the Solar System will listen to you.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close