Triplanetary - Cover

Triplanetary

Public Domain. Originally Published 1948

Chapter 18: The Specimens Escape

Knowing well that conversation with its fellows is one of the greatest needs of any intelligent being, the Nevians had permitted the Terrestrial specimens to retain possession of their ultra-beam communicators. Thus it was that Costigan had been able to keep in touch with his sweetheart and with Bradley. He learned that each had been placed upon exhibition in a different Nevian city; that the three had been separated in response to an insistent popular demand for such a distribution of the peculiar, but highly interesting creatures from a distant solar system. They had not been harmed. In fact, each was visited daily by a specialist, who made sure that his charge was being kept in the pink of condition.

As soon as he became aware of this condition of things Costigan became morose. He sat still, drooped, and pined away visibly. He refused to eat, and of the worried specialist he demanded liberty. Then, failing in that as he knew he would fail, he demanded something to do. They pointed out to him, reasonably enough, that in such a civilization as theirs there was nothing he could do. They assured him that they would do anything they could to alleviate his mental suffering, but that since he was a museum piece he must see, himself, that he must be kept on display for a short time. Wouldn’t he please behave himself and eat, as a reasoning being should? Costigan sulked a little longer, then wavered. Finally he agreed to compromise. He would eat and exercise if they would fit up a laboratory in his apartment, so that he could continue the studies he had begun upon his own native planet. To this they agreed, and thus it came about that one day the following conversation was held:

“Clio? Bradley? I’ve got something to tell you this time. Haven’t said anything before, for fear things might not work out, but they did. I went on a hunger strike and made them give me a complete laboratory. As a chemist I’m a damn good electrician; but luckily, with the sea-water they’ve got here, it’s a very simple thing to make...”

“Hold on!” snapped Bradley. “Somebody may be listening in on us!”

“They aren’t. They can’t, without my knowing it, and I’ll cut off the second anybody tries to synchronize with my beam. To resume--making Vee-Two is a very simple process, and I’ve got everything around here that’s hollow clear full of it...”

“How come they let you?” asked Clio.

“Oh, they don’t know what I’m doing. They watched me for a few days, and all I did was make up and bottle the weirdest messes imaginable. Then I finally managed to separate oxygen and nitrogen, after trying hard all of one day; and when they saw that I didn’t know anything about either one of them or what to do with them after I had them, they gave me up in disgust as a plain dumb ape and haven’t paid any attention to me since. So I’ve got me plenty of kilograms of liquid Vee-Two, all ready to touch off. I’m getting out of here in about three minutes and a half, and I’m coming over after you folks, in a new, iron-powered space-speedster that they don’t know I know anything about. They’ve just given it its final tests, and it’s the slickest thing you ever saw.”

“But Conway, dearest, you can’t possibly rescue me,” Clio’s voice broke. “Why, there are thousands of them, all around here. If you can get away, go, dear, but don’t...”

“I said I was coming after you, and if I get away I’ll be there. A good whiff of this stuff will lay out a thousand of them just as easily as it will one. Here’s the idea. I’ve made a gas mask for myself, since I’ll be in it where it’s thick, but you two won’t need any. It’s soluble enough in water so that three or four thicknesses of wet cloth over your noses will be enough. I’ll tell you when to wet down. We’re going to break away or go out trying--there aren’t enough amphibians between here and Andromeda to keep us humans cooped up like menagerie animals forever! But here comes my specialist with the keys to the city; time for the overture to start. See you later!”

The Nevian physician directed his key tube upon the transparent wall of the chamber and an opening appeared, an opening which vanished as soon as he had stepped through it; Costigan kicked a valve open; and from various innocent tubes there belched forth into the water of the central lagoon and into the air over it a flood of deadly vapor. As the Nevian turned toward the prisoner there was an almost inaudible hiss and a tiny jet of the frightful, outlawed stuff struck his open gills, just below his huge, conical head. He tensed momentarily, twitched convulsively just once, and fell motionless to the floor. And outside, the streams of avidly soluble liquefied gas rushed out into air and into water. It spread, dissolved, and diffused with the extreme mobility which is one of its characteristics; and as it diffused and was borne outward the Nevians in their massed hundreds died. Died not knowing what killed them, not knowing even that they died. Costigan, bitterly resentful of the inhuman treatment accorded the three and fiercely anxious for the success of his plan of escape, held his breath and, grimly alert, watched the amphibians die. When he could see no more motion anywhere he donned his gas-mask, strapped upon his back a large canister of the poison--his capacious pockets were already full of smaller containers--and two savagely exultant sentences escaped him.

“I am a poor, ignorant specimen of ape that can be let play with apparatus, am I?” he rasped, as he picked up the key tube of the specialist and opened the door of his prison. “They’ll learn now that it ain’t safe to judge by the looks of a flea how far he can jump!”

He stepped out through the opening into the water, and, burdened as he was, made shift to swim to the nearest ramp. Up it he ran, toward a main corridor. But ahead of him there was wafted a breath of dread Vee-Two, and where that breath went, went also unconsciousness--an unconsciousness which would deepen gradually into permanent oblivion save for the prompt intervention of one who possessed, not only the necessary antidote, but the equally important knowledge of exactly how to use it. Upon the floor of that corridor were strewn Nevians, who had dropped in their tracks. Past or over their bodies Costigan strode, pausing only to direct a jet of lethal vapor into whatever branching corridor or open door caught his eye. He was going to the intake of the city’s ventilation plant, and no unmasked creature dependent for life upon oxygen could bar his path. He reached the intake, tore the canister from his back, and released its full, vast volume of horrid contents into the primary air stream of the entire city.

And all throughout that doomed city Nevians dropped; quietly and without a struggle, unknowing. Busy executives dropped upon their cushioned, flat-topped desks; hurrying travelers and messengers dropped upon the floors of the corridors or relaxed in the noxious waters of the ways; lookouts and observers dropped before their flashing screens; central operators of communications dropped under the winking lights of their panels. Observers and centrals in the outlying sections of the city wondered briefly at the unwonted universal motionlessness and stagnation; then the racing taint in water and in air reached them, too, and they ceased wondering--forever.

Then through those quiet halls Costigan stalked to a certain storage room, where with all due precaution he donned his own suit of Triplanetary armor. Making an ungainly bundle of the other Solarian equipment stored there, he dragged it along behind him as he clanked back toward his prison, until he neared the dock at which was moored the Nevian space-speedster which he was determined to take. Here, he knew, was the first of many critical points. The crew of the vessel was aboard, and, with its independent air-supply, unharmed. They had weapons, were undoubtedly alarmed, and were very probably highly suspicious. They, too, had ultra-beams and might see him, but his very closeness to them would tend to protect him from ultra-beam observation. Therefore he crouched tensely behind a buttress, staring through his spy-ray goggles, waiting for a moment when none of the Nevians would be near the entrance, but grimly resolved to act instantly should he feel any touch of a spying ultra-beam.

“Here’s where the pinch comes,” he growled to himself. “I know the combinations, but if they’re suspicious enough and act quick enough they can seal that door on me before I can get it open, and then rub me out like a blot; but ... ah!”

The moment had arrived, before the touch of any revealing ray. He trained the key-tube, the entrance opened, and through that opening in the instant of its appearance there shot a brittle bulb of glass, whose breaking meant death. It crashed into fragments against a metallic wall and Costigan, entering the vessel, consigned its erstwhile crew one by one to the already crowded waters of the lagoon. He then leaped to the controls and drove the captured speedster through the air, to plunge it down upon the surface of the lagoon beside the door of the isolated structure which had for so long been his prison. Carefully he transferred to the vessel the motley assortment of containers of Vee-Two, and after a quick check-up to make sure that he had overlooked nothing, he shot his craft straight up into the air. Then only did he close his ultra-wave circuits and speak.

“Clio, Bradley--I got away clean, without a bit of trouble. Now I’m coming after you, Clio.”

“Oh, it’s wonderful that you got away, Conway!” the girl exclaimed. “But hadn’t you better get Captain Bradley first? Then, if anything should happen, he would be of some use, while I...”

“I’ll knock him into an outside loop if he does!” the captain snorted, and Costigan went on:

“You won’t need to. You come first, Clio, of course. But you’re too far away for me to see you with my spy, and I don’t want to use the high-powered beam of this boat for fear of detection; so you’d better keep on talking, so that I can trace you.”

“That’s one thing I am good at!” Clio laughed in sheer relief. “If talking were music, I’d be a full brass band!” and she kept up a flow of inconsequential chatter until Costigan told her that it was no longer necessary; that he had established the line.

“Any excitement around there yet?” he asked her then.

“Nothing unusual that I can see,” she replied. “Why? Should there be some?”

“I hope not, but when I made my getaway I couldn’t kill them all, of course, and I thought maybe they might connect things up with my jail-break and tell the other cities to take steps about you two. But I guess they’re pretty well disorganized back there yet, since they can’t know who hit them, or what with, or why. I must have got about everybody that wasn’t sealed up somewhere, and it doesn’t stand to reason that those who are left can check up very closely for a while yet. But they’re nobody’s fools--they’ll certainly get conscious when I snatch you, maybe before ... there, I see your city, I think.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Same as I did back there, if I can. Poison their primary air and all the water I can reach...”

“Oh, Conway!” Her voice rose to a scream. “They must know--they’re all getting out of the water and are rushing inside the buildings as fast as they possibly can!”

“I see they are,” grimly. “I’m right over you now, ‘way up. Been locating their primary intake. They’ve got a dozen ships around it, and have guards posted all along the corridors leading to it; and those guards are wearing masks! They’re clever birds, all right, those amphibians--they know what they got back there and how they got it. That changes things, girl! If we use gas here we won’t stand a chance in the world of getting old Bradley. Stand by to jump when I open that door!”

“Hurry, dear! They are coming out here after me!”

“Sure they are.” Costigan had already seen the two Nevians swimming out toward Clio’s cage, and had hurled his vessel downward in a screaming power dive. “You’re too valuable a specimen for them to let you be gassed, but if they can get there before I do they’re traveling fools!”

He miscalculated slightly, so that instead of coming to a halt at the surface of the liquid medium the speedster struck with a crash that hurled solid masses of water for hundreds of yards. But no ordinary crash could harm that vessel’s structure, her gravity controls were not overloaded, and she shot back to the surface; gallant ship and reckless pilot alike unharmed. Costigan trained his key-tube upon the doorway of Clio’s cell, then tossed it aside.

“Different combination over here!” he barked. “Got to cut you out--lie down in that far corner!”

His hands flashed over the panel, and as Clio fell prone without hesitation or question a heavy beam literally blasted away a large portion of the roof of the structure. The speedster shot into the air and dropped down until she rested upon the tops of opposite walls; walls still glowing, semi-molten. The girl piled a stool upon the table and stood upon it, reached upward and seized the mailed hands extended downward toward her. Costigan heaved her up into the vessel with a powerful jerk, slammed the door shut, leaped to the controls, and the speedster darted away.

“Your armor’s in that bundle there. Better put it on, and check your Lewistons and pistols--no telling what kind of jams we’ll get into,” he snapped, without turning. “Bradley, start talking ... all right, I’ve got your line. Better get your wet rags ready and get organized generally--every second will count by the time we get there. We’re coming so fast that our outer plating’s white hot, but it may not be fast enough, at that.”

“It isn’t fast enough, quite,” Bradley announced, calmly. “They’re coming out after me now.”

“Don’t fight them and probably they won’t paralyze you. Keep on talking, so that I can find out where they take you.”

“No good, Costigan.” The voice of the old spacehound did not reveal a sign of emotion as he made his dread announcement. “They have it all figured out. They’re not taking any chances at all--they’re going to paral...” His voice broke off in the middle of the word.

With a bitter imprecation Costigan flashed on the powerful ultra-beam projector of the speedster and focused the plate upon Bradley’s prison; careless now of detection, since the Nevians were already warned. Upon that plate he watched the Nevians carry the helpless body of the captain into a small boat, and continued to watch as they bore it into one of the largest buildings of the city. Up a series of ramps they took the still form, placing it finally upon a soft couch in an enormous and heavily guarded central hall. Costigan turned to his companion, and even through the helmets she could see plainly the white agony of his expression. He moistened his lips and tried twice to speak--tried and failed; but he made no move either to cut off their power or to change their direction.

“Of course,” she approved steadily. “We are going through. I know that you want to run with me, but if you actually did it I would never want to see you or hear of you again, and you would hate me forever.”

“Hardly that.” The anguish did not leave his eyes and his voice was hoarse and strained, but his hands did not vary the course of the speedster by so much as a hair’s breadth. “You’re the finest little fellow that ever waved a plume, and I would love you no matter what happened. I’d trade my immortal soul to the devil if it would get you out of this mess, but we’re both in it up to our necks and we can’t back out now. If they kill him we beat it--he and I both knew that it was on the chance of that happening that I took you first--but as long as all three of us are alive it’s all three or none.”

“Of course,” she said again, as steadily, thrilled this time to the depths of her being by the sheer manhood of him who had thus simply voiced his Code; a man of such fiber that neither love of life nor his infinitely greater love for her could make him lower its high standard. “We are going through. Forget that I am a woman. We are three human beings, fighting a world full of monsters. I am simply one of us three. I will steer your ship, fire your projectors, or throw your bombs. What can I do best?”

“Throw bombs,” he directed, briefly. He knew what must be done were they to have even the slightest chance of winning clear. “I’m going to blast a hole down into that auditorium, and when I do you stand by that port and start dropping bottles of perfume. Throw a couple of big ones right down the shaft I make, and the rest of them most anywhere, after I cut the wall open. They’ll do good wherever they hit, land or water.”

“But Captain Bradley--he’ll be gassed, too.” Her fine eyes were troubled.

“Can’t be helped. I’ve got the antidote, and it’ll work any time under an hour. That’ll be lots of time--if we aren’t gone in less than ten minutes we’ll be staying here. They’re bringing in platoons of militia in full armor, and if we don’t beat those boys to it we’re in for plenty of grief. All right--start throwing!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close