A Man Obsessed
Chapter 7

Public Domain

Jeff sank down in the chair, his forehead streaming sweat. He clenched his fists as he tried to regain control of his trembling muscles. How long had Schiml been standing there? Just a second or two? Or had he been watching Jeff for ten minutes, watching him punch down the filing codes, watching him stuff the filing card into his shirt? There was nothing to be told from the doctor’s face, as the man smiled down at his trembling quarry. There was nothing in the eyes of the guards who stood behind him in the hallway, their hands poised on their heavy sidearms.

Schiml turned to one of them, nodded slightly, and they disappeared, their boots clanging in the still corridor behind them. Then he turned his eyes back to Jeff, the ghost of a knowing smile still flickering about his eyes. “Find anything interesting?” he asked, his eyes narrowing slightly.

Jeff fumbled a cigarette to his lips, gripped the lighter to steady it. “Nothing to speak of,” he said hoarsely. “Been a long time since I worked one of these files.” His eyes caught Schiml’s defiantly, held them in desperation. Finally Schiml blinked and looked away.

“Looking for anything special?” he asked smoothly.

“Nothing special.” Jeff blew smoke out into the room, his trembling nerves quieting slightly.

“I see. Just sight-seeing, I suppose.”

Jeff shrugged. “More or less. I wanted to see the setup.”

A dry smile crossed Schiml’s face. “Particularly the setup in the filing room,” he said softly. “I thought I’d find you here. Blackie said you’d just stepped out for a short walk, so we just took a guess.” The doctor’s eyes hardened sharply on Jeff’s face. “And all dressed up like a doctor, too.”

He stepped across the room, jerked the cap from Jeff’s head, snapped the string to the gown with a sharp swipe of his hand. “We don’t do this around here,” he said, his voice cutting like a razor. “Doctors wear these, nobody else. Got that straight? We also do not wander around breaking into filing rooms, just looking at the setup. If the guards had caught you at it, you wouldn’t be alive right now--which would have been a dirty shame, since we have plans for you.” He jerked his thumb toward the door. “After you, Jeff. We’ve got some work to do tonight.”

Jeff moved out into the hall, took up beside the tall doctor as he started back for the escalator. “You weren’t serious about testing me tonight, surely.”

Dr. Schiml stared at him. “And why not?”

“Look, it’s late. I’ll be here in the morning.”

The doctor walked on in silence for a long moment. Jeff followed, his mind racing, a thousand questions tumbling through in rapid succession: questions he dared not ask, questions he couldn’t answer. How much did Schiml know? And how much did he suspect? A chill ran down Jeff’s back. What had he been doing with the dice? Could Blackie possibly have told him? Or could he have heard about the freakish occurrence in the game room through other channels? And what could he learn in the course of the testing that he didn’t know already?

Jeff puzzled as he matched the doctor’s rapid pace. They went up the escalator, down the twisting corridor toward an area beyond the living quarters that Jeff hadn’t seen before. Above all, he must keep his nerve, keep a tight control on his tongue, on his reactions, make sure that there were no tricks to tear information from him that he didn’t dare divulge.

He looked at Schiml, sharply, a frown on his face. “I still don’t see why this can’t wait till morning. Why the big hurry?”

Schiml stopped, turned to Jeff in exasperation. “You still think we’re running a picnic grounds here, don’t you?” he snapped. “Well, we’re not. We’re doing a job, a job that can’t wait for morning or anything else. We work a twenty-four-hour schedule here. All you do is provide the where-withal to work with--nothing more.”

“But I’ll be tired, nervous. I don’t see how I could pass any kind of test.”

Schiml laughed shortly. “These aren’t the kind of tests you pass or fail. Actually, the more tired and nervous you are, the better the results will be for you. They’ll give you an extra edge of safety when you’re assigned to a job. What the tests tell us is what we can expect from you, the very minimum. Basically, we’re working to save your life for you.”

Jeff blinked at him, followed him through swinging doors into a long, brightly lighted corridor, with green walls and a gleaming tile floor.

“What do you mean, save my life? You seem to delight in just the opposite here, from what I’ve heard.”

The doctor made an impatient noise. “You got the wrong information,” he said angrily. “That’s the trouble. You people insist upon listening to and believing the morbid stories, all the unpleasantness you hear about the work here. And it’s all either completely false or only half-truth. This business of bloodthirstiness, for instance. It’s just plain not true.

“One of the biggest factors in our work here is making arrangements for optimum conditions for the success of our experiments. By ‘optimum’ we mean the best conditions from several standpoints: from the standpoint of what we’re trying to learn--the experiment itself, that is--and from the standpoint of the researcher, too. But most particularly, we’re working for optimum recovery odds for the experimental animals--you, in this case.”

Jeff snorted. “But still, we’re just experimental animals, from your viewpoint,” he said sharply.

“Not just experimental animals,” Schiml snapped angrily. “You’re the experimental animals. Working with human beings isn’t the same as working with cats and dogs and monkeys--far from it. Dogs and cats are stronger and tougher, more durable than humans, which is why they’re used for preliminary work of great success. But basically, they’re expendable. If something goes wrong, that’s too bad. But we’ve learned something, and the dog or cat can be sacrificed without too many tears. But we don’t feel quite the same about human beings.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” said Jeff sourly. “It makes me feel better.”

“I’m not trying to be facetious. I mean it. We’re not ghouls. We don’t have any less regard for human life than anyone else, just because we’re responsible for some human death in the work we’re doing. For one thing, we study every human being we use, try to dig out his strengths and weaknesses, physical and mental. We want to know how he reacts to what, how fast he recuperates, how much physical punishment his body can take, how far his mental resiliency will extend. Then when we know these things, we can fit him into the program of research which will give him the very best chance of coming out in one piece. At the same time, he will fill a spot that we need filled. No, there’s no delight here in taking human life or jeopardizing human safety.”

They turned abruptly off the corridor and entered a small office. Schiml motioned Jeff to a chair, sat himself down behind a small desk and began sorting through several stacks of forms. The room was silent for a moment. Then the doctor punched a button on the telephone panel.

When the light blinked an answer to him, he said: “Gabe? He’s here. Better come on up.”

Then he flipped down the switch and leaned back, lighting a long, slender cigar and undoing the green robe around his neck.

Jeff watched him, still puzzling over what he had just said. The doctor seemed so matter-of-fact. What he had said made sense, but somewhere in the picture there seemed to be a gaping hole. “This sounds like it’s a great setup--for you doctors and researchers,” he said finally. “But what’s it leading to? What good is it doing? Oh, I know, it increases your knowledge of men’s minds, but how does it help the man in the street? How does it actually help anyone, in the long run? How do you ever get the government to back it with the financial mess they’re facing in Washington?”

Schiml threw back his head and laughed aloud. “You’ve got the cart before the horse,” he said, when he got control of his voice. “Support? Listen, my lad, the government is running itself bankrupt just to keep our research going. Did you realize that? Bankrupting itself! And why? Because unless our work pays off--and soon--there isn’t going to be any government left. That’s why. Because we’re fighting something that’s eating away at the very roots of our civilization, something that’s creeping and growing and destroying.”

He stared at Jeff, his eyes wide. “Oh, the government knows that the situation is grave. We had to prove it to them, show it to them time and again, until they couldn’t miss it any longer. But they saw it finally. They’ve seen it growing for a century or more, ever since the end of the Second War. They’ve seen the business instability, the bank runs and the stock market dives. They’ve seen the mental and moral decay in the cities. They could see it, but it took statistics to prove that there was a pattern to it, a pattern of decay and rot and putrefaction that’s been crumbling away the clay feet of this colossal civilization of ours.”

The doctor stood up, paced back and forth across the room and sent blue smoke into the air from the cigar as he walked. “Oh, they support us all right. We don’t know for sure what we’re fighting, but we do know the answer is in the functioning of the minds and brains of man. We’re working against a disease--a creeping disease of men’s minds--and we are forced to use men to search those minds, to study them, to try to weed out the poison of the disease. And so we have the Mercy Men to help us fight.”

The doctor’s lips twisted in a bitter sneer as he sat heavily down on the chair again, crunched the cigar out viciously in the tray. “Mercy Men who have no mercy in their souls, who have no interest nor concern with what they’re doing, or what it may be accomplishing. They are interested in one thing only: the amount of money they’ll be paid for having their brains jogged loose.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close