A Man Obsessed - Cover

A Man Obsessed

Public Domain

Chapter 9

A voice was talking across the room, a muffled, mysterious rumble of up-and-down sounds. Slowly Jeff dragged his mind out of the clinging depths of nightmare, back to the stuffy, dimly lit room. How long had he slept? And how late was it now? The soft voices across the room gave no clue, and his aching mind was too tired to care any more. He just lay in the dim light, every muscle aching, his mind returning again and again to the nightmare he had been reliving for the thousandth time.

It had been horribly sharp this time, clear as noonday: the same subject as always, the same face, the same horrible knowledge, and the same soul-wrenching hatred welling up and bubbling over in his mind. Always it was hatred without plan or form, pure, disorganized animal fury. But this time the dream had been more coherent, clearer, more unmistakable and vicious.

He had been walking down the street in the heart of the city. Yes, it was mid-morning. The sun’s heat was unbearable already, and his jacket and shirt were damp. What was he doing that morning? Was he on his way to the survey depot with some information on the next Mars run? It didn’t really matter. But he turned into the building and then it hit him.

It was like the shock that had struck him in the testing room, he thought. He had run into the man bodily. Stepping back to beg his pardon, he saw the man’s face. That’s where the dream went wild, just as his mind had gone wild on that sunny morning so long ago. He saw the man turn and run like the wind, snaking into the flowing stream of people on the street. Jeff followed, shouting, his fists and legs churning through the masses of people. He screamed in hoarse, maddened despair as he saw the figure vanish before his eyes.

And then he was leaning against the wall, panting, tears streaming down his face. Unable to understand, knowing only that this was the man whose face had haunted his dreams all his life, he acknowledged this was the man he would have to kill.

His eyes snapped open. The voices across the room were louder. Jeff listened. One voice was a woman’s--Blackie’s, of course. There was no mistaking the Nasty Frenchman’s nasal twang. But the third voice--Jeff blinked his eyes. He moved his head to see the little group across the room.

They were huddled around a small infra-red coffee maker: Blackie, the Nasty Frenchman, and the huge, bald-headed man called Harpo. Blackie’s voice was sharp and pleading as she echoed the Nasty Frenchman in angry protest. Harpo’s heavy bass rumbled an undertone to the whispered discussion. Painfully, Jeff drew himself up on an elbow and turned his ear in the direction of the huddle, as the words drifted to him, unclearly:

“I say find out who and do something about it,” the Nasty Frenchman was insisting angrily. His face was red and spiteful, and his eyes flashed as he glared up at Harpo. “We’re out of it completely. Don’t you see that? Because of this switch, we’re off the payroll--ditched like common scum! Well, the job I’ve been on was to pay two hundred thousand dollars, with practically no risk involved. And I’ll kill the man that’s cutting me out of it.”

Harpo’s voice was soothing. “So maybe you’re daydreaming. Maybe there won’t be any switch of jobs at all.”

“I saw the report, I tell you. It was signed by Schiml himself.”

Harpo looked up sharply. “You actually saw Schiml’s signature on it?”

“I saw it. I’m taken off assignment and so are you. We’re both shoved out. Can’t you get that straight? After all this time--and just because they get somebody in here that gets them excited.”

Harpo snorted. “So they’ve gone off on these spook hunts before. Where do you think it’ll take them this time? Extra-sensory powers!” The huge man spat in disdain. “Have you ever seen anybody with extra-sensory powers? Well, neither have I. Look, Jacques, let’s face it: Schiml would give his left arm at the shoulder to have proof of extra-sensory powers in any form.” Harpo grinned unpleasantly. “You’ve seen proof of that before. He believes in it, he wants to prove it. And every now and then he’s going to have a try at it just to keep himself happy, just to keep in form. There’s no call to get excited.”

“But he’s got a solid prospect this time,” Blackie snapped. “From the stories I’ve heard the guy is a phenomenon. Hit top scores on the cards--highest they’ve ever recorded here. Other things too, like peeling the paper off the walls just by looking at them, or closing up opened wounds in ten minutes.”

“So you hear stories! Around here I don’t believe anything I hear.” Harpo shifted uneasily. “If there was anything tangible, anything we could put our hands on, I’d listen. But there’s not--no proof, no nothing but a lot of wild stories. And I’ve even heard better stories in my time. You can’t go around fighting stories--”

Jeff sat bolt upright, something shouting out in his brain. He grabbed for his shoes, oblivious to the agonizing pain in his muscles, fumbled eagerly, his mind screaming in excitement. “What kind of proof do you want?” he growled.

Harpo stared up at him, as though seeing a ghost. “You awake!” he gasped. And then: “Any kind of proof!”

“Then take a look at this.” And Jeff tossed the crumpled card down in the middle of the huddle.

Blackie was on her feet, her eyes eager. “Didn’t know you were anywhere near ready to wake up,” she said. “You look like they really gave you the works.”

“Well, something happened, all right. I don’t know whether I’m coming or going.”

Blackie nodded. “You never do, after testing. They came here for you, and I told them you’d gone out for a stroll. But I guess they found you.” She put a cup of coffee in Jeff’s hand and motioned toward the card. “You got that out of the file without being spotted?”

Jeff’s eyes met hers for the briefest instant. “That’s right. And I heard what you were talking about.” He caught the little note of warning in her eyes: the silent, helpless appeal. He shook his head imperceptibly. He knew then that she hadn’t told the others about their battle over the dice. He pointed to the card. “I think that answers a lot of things.”

Harpo’s eyes were suspicious. “How do you know that’s the man?”

“Because I drove him in here, that’s why.” Jeff’s voice was a snarl; it sounded sharp in the quiet room. “I knew he was here because he came here to escape me. But I didn’t know he had any connection with ESP until I saw the card.”

Harpo stared at the card, then at Jeff. “You mean you drove him in here?”

“That’s right. Because I’d have killed him if he didn’t come.” Jeff’s face was dark as he turned to the girl. “Tell him, Blackie. Tell him why I’m here.”

Blackie told them. They listened with widening eyes, and the room was still as a tomb.

“And you came in here to kill this man--nothing more?” Harpo’s voice was incredulous. “But man, you’re on thin ice, very thin ice. If they tested you last night, you’ll be assigned. Why, you could be forced to sign a release any time.”

“I know it, I know it. Can’t you see why there isn’t time to bicker now?” Jeff’s voice cracked in the still room, sharp and urgent. “This is the man, the one I’m looking for and the one you’re looking for, the one with ESP that’s got Schiml and his men so excited! It’s here on the card!”

Harpo’s eyes were narrow. “Any other proof besides the card that Conroe is the man?”

Jeff’s voice was low with hate. “Look. I’ve been hunting the man down for five years. A long time. I’ve hunted him wherever he’s gone. I’ve had the best detective agency in North America working with me hand and foot, tracking him down. But they haven’t caught him. We’ve almost caught him, we’ve haunted him, we’ve run him back and forth across the country and world until he’s ragged. But we’ve never caught him. Isn’t there some significance to that? Time and again we’ve come so close that we couldn’t miss--and then we missed. We’ve come too close too many times for coincidence. There’s another factor, a factor that’s giving Conroe warning, time after time. It’s allowed him to slip out of perfectly sealed traps--a factor like precognition, for instance.”

There was a long silence. Then the Nasty Frenchman was on his feet, his lips stretched in a malicious grin. “If we move fast enough, we can stop it--cut it off at the bud. We’re off the payroll now. But we can get back on it again, if their boy wonder dies.”

Harpo’s eyes flashed. “And how do you plan to do it?”

“Nothing simpler in the world. We just find the guy.” The Nasty Frenchman’s grin widened. “Then after we find him, we tell our friend Jeff about it. Nothing more. Jeff’ll take it from there. Right, Jeff?”

Jeff’s heart pounded against his ribs. “That’s right,” he said, his voice hoarse with eagerness. “Just find him for me.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close