A Man Obsessed
Chapter 10

Public Domain

Jacques and Harpo were waiting for him at the head of the escalator. He nodded and followed them down the corridor to the small jitney car that was waiting.

“All set?”

“All set. The guards are all busy up in N unit putting out a fire. They won’t be down to bother us for a couple of hours.” The Nasty Frenchman scowled disdainfully. “But you’ll have to hurry. When they come back, we’ll have a time stalling them again.”

Jeff nodded. “That should be enough. Then maybe we’ll have other things to occupy the guards tonight.”

The jitney started with a lurch and a squawk. Harpo handled the controls, running the little car swiftly down the corridor. It swung suddenly into a pitch-black tunnel, took an abrupt dip and began to spiral downward at a wild rate. Jeff grabbed the hand rail and gasped.

“It’s a long way down,” Harpo chuckled, sitting back in the darkness.

“The Archives hold the permanent records of the entire Hoffman Center since it was first opened. That’s why it’s a vault, so that bombing won’t destroy it. It’s one of the most valuable tombs in history.”

The jitney shot out into a lighted corridor. Jeff swallowed and felt his ears pop. The little car whizzed through a maze of tunnels and corridors. Finally it settled down to the floor before the heavy steel doors at the end of a large corridor.

Without a word, Harpo moved down to the end of the corridor, and drew the jitney car with him. He opened the motor hood, started pawing around busily inside.

The Nasty Frenchman chuckled. “If anyone wanders by, that jitney alarm siren goes off, and Harpo’s just a poor technician trying to make it stop.” The little man walked quickly to the steel doors. “It’s not the first time I’ve had to work on these,” he said slyly. “We wanted in here a few months ago, when they were trying to pull a shakedown deal on some of us. I worked out the combination pattern then; it took me three days. They change the combination periodically, of course, but the pattern is built into the lock.”

He opened a small leather case and placed an instrument up against the lock. A long, thin wire was poised and ready in his other hand. Jeff heard several muffled clicks; then Jacques inserted the wire sharply into something. An alarm bell above the door gave one dull, half-hearted clunk and relapsed into silence, as though changing its mind at the last moment. A moment later the little Frenchman looked up and winked, and the steel vault door rolled slowly back.

The place smelled damp and empty. Three walls and half of the fourth were occupied with electronic file controls. The bulk of the room was taken up with tables, microviewers, readers, recorders, and other study-apparatus. There was nothing small in the room; the whole place breathed of bigness, of complexity, of many years of work and wisdom, of many lives and many, many deaths. It was a record-room that many lives had built.

Jeff moved in toward the control panel. He located the master coder and sat down in a chair before it, his eyes running over it carefully, sizing up the mammoth filing machine. And then, quite suddenly, he felt terribly afraid. A knot grew in his stomach and a cold sweat broke out on his forehead. A face was again looming up sharply in his mind. It was the huge, ghoulish face that had come to him again and again in his dreams; the face full of hatred and viciousness--pale and inhuman.

It was the face of a heartless, pointless, bloody assassin. But was that all? Or was there more to that face, more to that dream than Jeff had ever suspected? Something deep in his mind stirred, sending a chill down his spine. His hand trembled as he ran a hand over the control panel. A ghost was there at his elbow, a ghost that had followed him on this nebulous trail of bitterness and hatred for so long--a trail which would end in this very room.

He shook his head angrily. There was no time for panic, no time for ruminating. He picked the panel-code combination for the Mercy Men and the research unit. Then he computed the coding for Conroe’s name. With trembling fingers, he typed out the coding, punched the tracer button and sat back, his heart thumping wildly. He watched the receiver slot for the telltale file cards and folio.

The file squeaked and chattered and whirred and moaned, and finally the pale instruction panel lighted up: No Information.

Jeff blinked, a chill running up his back. These files were the final appeal; the information had to be here. Quickly, he computed a description coding, fed it in and waited again in mounting tension. Still no information. He picked the code card from his pocket, the card from the Mercy Men’s file up above, the card with the Hoffman Center’s own picture of Conroe on it. He fed it into the photoelectric tracer, marked in the necessary coding for an unlimited file search: “Any person resembling this description in any way: any information on--” Again he sat back, breathing heavily.

The whirring went on and on. Then, inexorably, the little panel flickered and spelled out a single word:

“Unknown.”

Jeff choked. He stared at the panel, his whole body shaking, and went through the coding again, step by step, searching for an error, finding none. It was impossible, it couldn’t be so--and yet, the files were empty of information. As though there had never been a Paul Conroe. There was not even a reference card to the card in the Mercy Men’s files.

He stared at the panel, his mind rebelling in protest. Nothing, not even a trace in the one place where there had to be complete information. He had come to a dead end--the last dead end there could be in the Hoffman Center.

The Nasty Frenchman lit a cigarette and watched Jeff from bright eyes.

“No luck?”

“No luck,” said Jeff, brokenly. “We’re beaten. That’s all.”

“But there must be--”

“Well, there’s not!” Jeff slammed his fist down on the table with a crash, his eyes blazing. “There’s not a trace, not a whisper of the man in here. There has to be--and there’s not. It’s the same as every other time: a blank wall. Blank wall after blank wall. I’m getting tired of them, so miserably tired of running into blind alley after blind alley.” He stood up, his shoulders sagging. “I’m too tired of it to keep it up. There’s no point to gambling any longer. I’m getting out of here while I’ve got a whole skin.”

“Maybe you’ve got more time than you think.” The Nasty Frenchman eyed him in alarm. “This is no time to run out. It may be weeks before you’re assigned.”

Jeff stared at him. “Well, I know one way to find out.” He walked over to the control panel, stabbed an angry finger at the master coder, picked out the coding for “J. Meyer.” “They’ll have me here too,” he snapped. “The whole works about me: what the testing said, what they’re going to do to me. That’s one way to find out.” Quickly, he typed out the coding, punched the tracer button...

The machinery whirred again, briefly. Then there was a click in the receiver slot and another and another. Jeff blinked at it as the microfilm rolls continued to fall down. Then he reached out to the single white card which fell on top of the rolls. His fingers were damp as he took the card. His own death warrant, perhaps? He glanced at the card and froze. His head began pounding as if it would burst.

“J. Meyer” he had punched in, and that was what the card said--but not Jeffrey Meyer. The card held a photo of a middle-aged, gray-haired man, and the typewritten name at the top said: JACOB MEYER.

And the picture was a photograph of his father’s face.


It was impossible, incredible, but he stared at the card in his hand. It did not disappear; it stayed there. It still said: “Jacob Meyer”; it still showed the beloved features of his father, staring up at him blankly from the card. His father!

His heart pounded as he stared at the brief typewritten notation below the picture: “Born 11 August, 2050, Des Moines, Iowa; married 3 Dec. 2077, wife died childbirth 27 November 2078; one son Jeffrey born 27 November 2078.” Then below were a series of dates: date of bachelor’s degree, date of Master’s and Doctorate; Associate Professor of Statistics at Rutgers University, 2079-2084; joined Government Bureau of Statistics in 2085. Finally, at the bottom of the card were a long series of reference numbers to microfilm files.

Jeff sank down in the chair, his mind spinning helplessly. He turned dazed eyes to the Nasty Frenchman. “You might as well go,” he said.

“I’ve got to do some reading.”

Feverishly, he scooped up the microfilm rolls, carried them to the nearest reader, twisted the spool into the machine and bent his eyes to the viewing slot, his heart pounding in his throat...

The first roll was a long, detailed series of abstracts of statistical papers, all written by Jacob A. Meyer, Ph.D., all covered with marginal notes in a scrawling, spidery hand and initialed “R.D.S.” The papers covered a multitude of studies; some dealt with the very techniques of statistical analyses themselves, others were concerned with specific studies that had been done.

The papers were written in scholarly manner, perfectly well documented, but the marginal notes found fault continually, both with the samplings noted and the conclusions drawn. Jeff read through some of the papers and he scowled. They dated over a period of the four years when his father had been teaching statistics. There were several dozen papers, all with marginal notes, none of which made much sense to Jeff. With a sigh, he pulled out the roll, fed in another.

This one seemed a little more rewarding. It was a letter, signed by Roger D. Schiml, M.D., dated almost twenty years before, addressed to the Government Bureau of Statistics. Jeff’s eyes skimmed the letter briefly, catching words here, phrases there:

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close