Made to Do Completed
Chapter 7: Surprise

Copyright© 2019 by Yob

Debriefing at the NCO club following day is chaired by Colonel Haas.

“Thank you for making me welcome at your NCO club. It’s your refuge away from the officers and the troops. It is not my intention to intrude. Since it also served as your headquarters for the recent troubles, I appreciate being invited to recap the situation. Top? Will you give us the current status on the Warren Norman group?”

“Yes sir. They have camped in a box canyon half a mile south of the garbage dump, which they forage in. They have assembled a sizable collection of plastic bottles and sneak into the motor pool area at night. They fill from a wash-down hose negligently left rigged for their use. The mess has modified the disposing of garbage. Leftovers from the steam tables are sacked separate, in fifteen gallon white trash can liners. The plate scrapings and other normal kitchen refuse, is placed in fifty gallon black plastic bags. The contents of the edible clean garbage is also adjusted, to include supplements for a balanced diet. Extra fruits or bread, ect. Their group is not suffering thirst or hunger and quickly learned to scavenge only the white bags. No idea if they’ve glommed on to our benevolent largess. They forage for firewood to warm themselves at night. We dropped a load of mesquite in an arroyo near their camp. They discovered it almost before my people could clear the area.”

“Thank you First Sergeant Blake, for the report, and the care of our despised parasites.”

“What is the confidence in the Norman group’s belief in the aliens scenario?”

“When we pretended to release alien prisoners, Warren Norman sprinted like a track star, and his crew had a difficult time catching up with him. Whether he has doubts, no one knows, but he doesn’t appear anxious to test those doubts. The other members of his group weren’t conditioned to fear the greens as Norman was, so ... anyone’s guess. As to their level of gullibility, is just that, a guess. We could reinforce their belief. Some dramatized hacked attack by the greens scenario?” Olé suggested.

“Let’s table that for awhile. Their own imaginations will conjure up more horrors than we can fabricate. Okay. The BIG question. How do we get them rescued, when, where, and still keep our secrets. Anybody. Floors open.”

“Tech Sergeant Javitz is now employed as a mechanic at the truck-stop and reports no identifiable search parties have passed through yet.” Doc contributed.

“Good. We need a plan ironed out before they do.”

“We could still drop them in or near Mexico”

“That is still an option. How is the culture Protection training coming, Lieutenant Cruz?”

“We are adequately covering the material, but the arbitrary fifty hours demanded by the course is as irksome to Sergeant Major Skarston as detention would be. The course material could be covered in just six hours. Fifty hours, means we are repetitively going over and over the same information, ten hours a day. It’s punishment. Olé says, and I tend to agree.”

“Lieutenant Halke? How is the plane project progressing?”

“Still in design stage, sir.” She fidgeted.

“Anything else? Thank you again. Next briefing will be in my office. You will be advised date and time. I’ll say goodnight and leave you to enjoy your well earned leisure time, unmolested.”

“Stay and have a drink with us, Colonel. Or two, or three.”

“How can I refuse such a gracious invitation? First round is on me.”

“If you gentlemen, and ladies will excuse me, alcohol and mathematics aren’t very compatible. I prefer to pass on the drinking and concentrate on my project this evening. May I be excused?” Lieutenant Halke said goodnight and left.

“Nothing against Lieutenant Halke, Colonel, but I’m glad for an opportunity to discuss something with you, out of her hearing. Olé and I have reservations about the nanobots intentions regarding humans.” Doc’s voice was ominous and mysterious in her manner.

“You have my total attention Doc.”

“We, Olé and I, are convinced the nanobots were trying to commit genocide with mission one. Take out Eve? and humans vanish.”

“That is very serious and alarming, Doc. Tell me more. Tell me everything.”

So they did, including Lieutenant Halke not answering the skeptical trustworthiness of nanobots question. Also, she had knowledge of the nanobots causing, or at least providing antimatter, for CC Doc to explode. Questions they wished to ask her, but promptly Lieutenant Cruz is incensed, interpreting questions as suspicions.

“How can you be so unjust to suspect Lieutenant Halke of being an agent for some imagined malevolent monster in an alternate reality. Shame on you, all of you. I’m sorry sir, but I’m ashamed you think this way too! There is no evidence of any wrong doing by Lieutenant Halke. None! Not one iota of blame adheres to her! I’m upset and angry at all of you!” Eventually Lieutenant Cruz ran out of accusations, words failed her, but her fire and ire were undiminished.

“Bravo, Lieutenant Cruz! You are a loyal friend and defend Lieutenant Halke with fervor. But you misunderstand us!” Colonel Haas tried to soothe Lieutenant Cruz. “We do not accuse or suspect Lieutenant Halke of anything, but she may be able to answer some important and disturbing questions about the nanobots. Will you help us?”

“I will NOT! This will upset and hurt Lieutenant Halke. I will do nothing to cause her pain. She is my friend. How can you be so insensitive to ask me to hurt or help hurt my friend?” Lieutenant Cruz was fuming!

“Actually, it would be an enormous help, if you would be her advocate. Protect her exactly as you are now. Guard her against hurt or embarrassment. If a question seems insensitive or invasive, say so, and insist it be rephrased.” Colonel Haas was sincere.

“Assist us, please! We do not want to cause pain, distress, or offense, as that is far, far from our intentions. Will you assist in THIS role? Guarding and protecting your friend from us roughshod uncultured brutes?” Colonel Haas smiled gently.

“I can do that. I don’t believe any of you want to hurt Lieutenant Halke and don’t consider you brutes, but friends. I am willing to hold her hand and reassure her and object if your questions are insensitively composed. Would you like me to ask her to join us? It may take several minutes, as I want to explain to her, she is among friends and NOT under suspicion. Of anything. Help her gird herself for the fray, so to speak.”

“Yes, Lieutenant. Thank you! So kind of you to suggest. We wait upon your return with Lieutenant Halke.” Colonel Haas was suave and sincere.

“Thank you for coming Lieutenants. Is there any refreshment you would like?” Colonel Haas is determined this not bear any official trappings, just a chat amongst friends. Lieutenant Halke changed her mind from the earlier decision to shun alcohol, and asked for a Manhattan. A round of drinks was served with no abstainers.

“Lieutenant Halke. Everyone here has the greatest liking and respect for you. Nobody wishes to distress you. Only this evening, was I made aware of some worrisome concerns of our Sergeant Majors Franklin and Skarston. I now share their concerns. You are in a unique position to, possibly, hopefully, ease our minds. Since the material is news to me, I prefer Doc and Olé explain and pose a few questions. We appreciate you will consider and address them. I may pose a question time to time. There will be NO crossfire interrogation. You are not on the hot seat or being grilled. This is not an interrogation nor an investigation. You are not under suspicion and not accused of anything.”

“First Sergeant Blake is neutral, and also only heard the problem at the same time as I. He has no questions. He is here at my request, as an impartial witness. If in the future, it may turn out, having a witness was a wise precaution, I have First Sergeant Blake. Lieutenant Cruz is here only as your friend and supporter, not your attorney. You have no need of one. Is everyone clear on the premise and limits for this conversation? Thank you! Sergeant Majors? Please proceed.”

“Lieutenant Halke. Olé and I only met you and Lieutenant Cruz after the Mission One concluded. You had not yet arrived here during the running of that mission, yet you were able to tell us CC Doc exploded with CC Olé and everybody in the vicinity with them, in an antimatter explosion. Were you told this, or did you have personal knowledge of that event?” Doc was gentle in voice and frequently smiled when asking this question. Lieutenant Halke seemed unperturbed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close