Secrets of Fathers and Empires - Cover

Secrets of Fathers and Empires

Copyright© 2019 by Rycliff

Chapter 4

The drone was reporting back its findings on the Gas Giant. The planet was a virtual furnace. And if harnessed properly could become a huge energy source for the Obsidian Throne and the Central Worlds, they were in desperate need of new sources of energy. That was one of the reasons for this mission. The High Command, on orders of the emperor had decided to explore further out for resources that could be exploited. The Central Worlds had suffered greatly in the Ulster Wars. The war, since it was really a single enemy, faced over nearly a century, had depleted nearly all of the known sources of natural recourses left close into the system. The ring worlds were not much better off. The empire’s fringe was already talking of seceding and forming a new alliance with a few minor planets outside of the Obsidian Throne’s reach. The ruling family, had for millennia been the power of the empire, now they were in decline. They needed to find new areas, to expand into and regain the losses of the war. They had lost the Hypogean Asteroid Belt to war, which was one of the major Inothorzium sources for the Central Worlds.

The K’iteri Energy Cartel’s major energy field production facility had been sabotaged, and would require billions of Mega-Credits to rebuild. Until it was back on-line there would be no new production of refined fuels for non-essential vehicles. This meant that there would be a greater need for mass transportation as well. The cartel’s storage facility was also damaged and so their ability to provide power was going to be seriously hampered. There was no simple solution to the problem. The emperor had decreed that conservation would be strictly enforced; in fact he was setting the example.

He was shutting up ten of his personal palaces, including some of the more elaborate. Of course he was going to continue to live in the Obsidian Crystal Palace, which had been the seat of the Obsidian Throne for the entire time of the empire. But he was actually conserving. He had completely shut down operations in ten palaces; he had taken the staff and moved them to other areas. He sold his entire fleet of personal ground vehicles, as well as his personal yachts. He downgraded his personal guards to a mere battalion instead of the regiment, which it had been. He had started to use recyclable products. He commissioned a research study into the feasibility of using other renewable sources for energy production, and paid for it with his own personal accounts.

Monday January 12, 2024

“Wake up, Sean! You’re late for class!” Tom was shouting. Sean opened his eyes, and focused on the clock. It read 10:41 am. He was definitely late. He had already missed his first two morning classes. He got up, showered, shaved, and dressed on under fifteen minutes, but he still missed his student government meeting. He went by his professor’s offices and got the day’s assignments, at least he wouldn’t miss any homework, and then he started for work.

He was stuck in traffic on the way to work, it was the icing on the cake, and the entire day was going wrong. What else could happen to make it worse? He called the office on his cell phone and explained the problem to his boss.

His supervisor told him that he would have to make up the time at the end of the day. Sean was relieved. He still had a job, but this was only just the beginning of what was turning into a very long day. He got into the office at 1:15. He was one hour late, but then he found a bright spot in this otherwise gloomy day.

He was being promoted to the position of junior executive assistant, in charge of cost analysis. His new partner was why Sean was suspicious of the entire deal. When he finally found out whom he was working with he nearly turned down the offer, but then he decided that he deserved it no matter how it had happened.

Brooke walked into the room and immediately made her way toward Sean. She introduced herself to him as if she’d never laid eyes on him before, she offered to shake hands, and then announced that she was looking forward to working closely with him. Sean was taken back by all of this. He didn’t know how to respond. Was she making a pass at him? If so, what was she expecting out of him? What, if anything, was her role in his promotion?

All these thoughts were going through his head, along with many the ones he was dealing with the previous night as well. All he could do for now was act natural, so he shook her hand and introduced himself, and politely informed her that he was looking forward to working with her as well.

The day didn’t end there. He still had to report to his old boss to make up for being late. Once there, he was put to work moving boxes to storage in the basement. The boxes were not light, each one weighed about 30 pounds, and they were an awkward size as well. Sean spent three hours moving these boxes, and his back was killing him. Finally the last box was stowed away in the basement, and he could go home.

He walked out to the parking lot, and surprisingly, his car was not the only one there. He couldn’t believe that anyone would work so late, especially those people who worked on salary. Then he remembered he now too worked on salary. To be fair, most of the cars in the lot belonged to either the janitorial staff or the myriad of computer and system controllers, who were in charge of keeping everything from LCD’s shuttles to the lunar colony up and running smoothly and efficiently.

When Sean reached his car, he noticed a piece of paper affixes to the window. He started to toss it, but soon noticed that it wasn’t an advertisement, but was addressed to him. It read, “Call me,” and gave a telephone number.

Sean got into his car and started it up, then headed home. He picked up the car phone and dialed the number, hoping it was Brooke. The phone on the other end rang five times and the answering machine picked up. It was one of those new digital types that used a computer to answer the phone. The message gave no clue as to its owner, and it never once gave the phone number that the incoming party had reached. Sean hung up. He was not going to leave a message to anyone who wouldn’t even give a clue as to who they were.

Sean walked into the front door, and heard voices in Tom’s room. He went to his room, closed the door, and turned on the news. The newscaster was announcing, “The local industrialist J. Edwin Whitten died this afternoon ... a

Sean didn’t hear the rest; he went to the desk and picked up the phone. It was then that he noticed that the answering machine light was blinking. Quickly, he pushed the play back button. His mother’s voice, very broken stated between sobs, that his grandfather had passed away. The time stamp stated that she had called at 1:18 pm.

Sean left the apartment, slamming the front door on the way out, and got into his car. He had no idea where he was going and didn’t care. He got on the highway and floored the accelerator, and within a blink he was cruising along at 80. It seemed mere seconds to the one hundred mile an hour mark. The digital dash was going through the numbers like a hot stock. Ever higher, Sean was hitting 150 and still wanted more. The engine sang out its pleasure as a single note, as clear as any opera singer. The hum of the engine and the drone of the tires on the pavement went through Sean’s body like a steady pulse of a beating heart. Faster and faster going nowhere, the car was now traveling 210 mph, when something inside Sean snapped.

He realized what he was doing and how stupid it was; he had to slow down. He also knew if he simply hit the brakes, it could have disastrous results. He removed his foot from the accelerator and for the next few miles he just coasted. Finally, when the car reached a more comfortable speed he applied the brake and then he took the next exit.

Once off the highway, he pulled into a secluded parking lot. Sean got out of the car and slammed the door in frustration. Then he proceeded to kick the left front tire. After a while his foot began to ache, so he stopped and started to walk around. He found a small park that surrounded a lake. There was also a walk path around the lake. He started to walk around the lake thinking of the last few days. He thought back to the hospital and how he thought his grandfather might die. Then he thought how this was the first holiday season he could remember that his parents had been at his grandfather’s.

Sean wanted to scream “Why! Why did he have to die now, so soon after making up for the past? He remarried, he was starting over it’s not fair.” all these thoughts were hurled towards the midnight sky. Then he sat on a park bench, next to the lake. He just sat there, staring up at the stars, feeling so empty and small; he was going to miss his grandfather very much.

Finally, he got up and walked back to the car. He got in and picked up the cell phone, he called his parent’s home number, but they weren’t in. So, instead of leaving a message on their answering machine, he called his grandfather’s estate. Mr. Watts answered the phone and informed that indeed his parents were here, as well as many other friends and colleagues, who had come to comfort one another.

Sean drove to the estate, but was surprised by the number of cars parked in the main drive. He had to park on the private road that led up to the house, and walk up to the house. He entered through the back door in the kitchen. Mr. Watts told him everyone was in the great room, and that there was some leftover dinner in the refrigerator if he was hungry. Sean passed on dinner, who could think of food at a time like this? Then he made his way to where everyone else was gathered.

He found his mother, talking to Grace, newly widowed after marrying just three days ago, and consoling her on her loss. He walked over and gave his mom a hug and a peck on the cheek.

“How did it happen?” he asked. She replied that the doctor hasn’t made a determination yet but it would be completed soon. Next Sean turned to Grace and hugged her and told her he was sorry.

She returned his hug and said don’t be sorry for me; it’s you that should be receiving all this sympathy, you and your family. I’m just a newcomer to Whitehall. You’ve been here much longer.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close