Stars of Destiny - Cover

Stars of Destiny

Copyright© 2020 by Al Kristopher

Chapter 24: Dark Stars

Diana Jade woke up with reasonable peace, though she decided to lag around in bed for a little while longer. The half-human hybrid was definitely not a morning person, no matter what her genetic structure was. She would stay in bed for a few minutes more--no, a few hours more. Yes, that was it. Just a few more hours...

When Diana woke again, she was really ready to face the morning this time, really she was. Still, her body felt as stiff and heavy as lead as she slithered her way out of the covers and began to stretch. Her wings protruded out as much as they possibly could, and her short but sharp claws began to delicately scratch at a few places that bore an itch. No matter what the circumstance, Diana just was not a morning person.

Still dressed in her pinkish-purple nightgown, Diana trudged out of her room and let out several dragon-like yawns. When she came into the hallway, however, she almost bumped into something. There, sitting in a chair, snoring lightly, was her ever-present bodyguard, Zatore E. Thrindale. The elfish bounty hunter was still dressed in his wooly red shirt and pants, and even had his weapon nestled into his lap. As she saw him sleeping there, Diana’s gentle heart instantly went out to him.

He’s been outside my door all night long, she thought to herself. He didn’t even think I’d be safe for one night. I guess he really was serious when he said that he’d be my bodyguard. Smiling sadly at the noble elf, Diana stepped forward and gently placed her hand on his spiky blonde hair. It was true that she had been apprehensive of the older man when they first met, but time saw to it that their lives would be forever intertwined, and as such, Diana had began to liken Zet to a friend.

“Zatore, wake up,” she whispered, shaking him gently. Zet sputtered back to life and muttered out several nonsensical phrases before finally coming to. He stretched and yawned as Diana had a few minutes before, and smacked his lips until he realized what was going on.

“ ... Oh, Lady Diana ... did I fall asleep?”

“Yeah,” she said, smiling at him. Zet grunted and made an attempt to stand.

“I am sorry. I have not been sleeping very well as of late. It seems the life of a bodyguard is more difficult than I imagined.”

“Yeah...” Diana kept her smile, and made sure that poor Zet didn’t trip and fall as he ambled his way to the kitchen. The twenty-three year-old elf certainly did give his everything when working, and he expected little in return from Diana, not even a paycheck. His selflessness was admirable and his heart was quite pure, and Diana had to admit that he was a very likeable sort once one got to know him.

She decided to follow him into the kitchen, where she just caught sight of him pouring orange juice into a bowl of dry oatmeal. Figuring that this was not the normal diet of elves, Diana gently stirred him again and made note of the blunder.

“Dear me,” said Zet lazily, “I must have exhausted all my energy and common sense last night!”

“Why are you doing this to yourself, Zatore?” asked Diana as she joined him. “I know it’s important to keep me away from those who would misuse my powers, but wouldn’t you think I’d be safe for even one night?”

“Perhaps,” he shrugged, and what was left of the juice was poured into a glass. “Or perhaps not. You were safe last night, I assume.”

“And you nodded off on me,” she pointed. Zet’s face grew dark red as he sighed.

“Yes, I know. Please forgive me, Lady Diana. It shall never happen again.”

“That’s right, it won’t. You’re going to get a good night’s sleep every night, so that you’ll be ready and refreshed the next morning--not like this.”

“But, what if--”

“I think I can take care of myself for about six hours,” she emphasized. “Besides, Zatore, aside from that one incident, how many people have attacked me?” Zet thought about it, and sighed again as he realized that it had only been that one time, and no more.

“None,” he answered, and Diana gave him a final nod.

“There, see? That proves my point. Now you get to bed and don’t wake up for at least four hours. I’ll stay here and read until you’re awake, so you know I’ll be safe.”

“It’s ... already eight in the morning,” he replied with a yawn. Diana shrugged.

“So? Haven’t you ever slept past noon?”

“No, never.”

“It’s a wonderful thing,” she smiled. “You should definitely try it.” Zet returned her smile faintly, and agreed to go back to bed for a few hours. As he left, he turned around and thanked Diana for caring for him.

“It’s the least I could do to repay my guardian,” she replied with a smile. Zet smiled back, and silently slipped back into bed, where he would get some much-needed sleep. Diana sighed, shook her fiery head, and muttered out to her own self.

“Jeez Louise ... I’m starting to sound like a frickin’ mother here...”

About two months had passed since the events surrounding System GOLGOTHA, and in that time, most everybody involved with the strange mission had went their separate ways. Obviously, Zet and Diana were out on their own again, having rented an apartment on one of the more peaceful settlements on Earth’s moon (they didn’t stay on Earth because Diana’s pursuers were gathered there). They were both faring reasonably well, though Zet’s wariness (and weariness) often caused them problems.

Gregory and Dana returned to their old apartment on Saturn Space Station, with a few extra friends in tow. Cattia, Tania, and Jerwon were welcomed into the apartment, with the ladies staying in Dana’s room and Jerwon in Greg’s. The arrangement was good for the most part, since there were now five different ways to draw in an income, and with the sneaky skills of the Prepells sisters, money was not often lacking.

Dustin and Woolyford each vanished once again into the unknown parts of the universe, and their presence had yet to be detected by anybody. Sahn went back to his part of the neighborhood as well, though the diminutive Kobrian never really seemed to stay in the same place for long. As for the whereabouts of General Ilyich Brokolov, it never came to surface. Only Admiral Kanaui knew for certain, and he had yet to say anything to Dana.

So, for the most part, things had gotten peaceful and quiet again, and with everything that had gone on so far, the period of serenity was badly needed. Between chasing down bounties, evading the authorities, destroying doomsday weapons, and running into more questionable characters than one could imagine, the idea of tranquility seemed impossible. So, it came as a blessing when nothing happened.

Zatore Thrindale did eventually refresh himself, and he came out of his room (and later, the shower) looking and feeling a hundred times better. Diana greeted him with a smile, and made note of his improved condition, and since things were so peaceful during that time, she asked him if there was anything he wanted to do that day.

“I am not one for staying indoors for long periods of time,” he replied. “If it is all right with you, I would very much like to go outside, and perhaps do something there.”

“Sure, okay,” she replied, and the two of them walked out of their apartment and into the controlled atmosphere of one of the lunar settlements. Though the Earth’s moon was small, it boasted atmospheres much cleaner, neater, and nicer in appearance than the Earth, though it was also pricier. Zet’s reasonable wealth snagged them both a good place in the middle of a good settlement, so it would be criminal to not enjoy the day.

The sun was up, the sky was blue, it was beautiful, and so was--no, no, best not to think about that. In the time they spent together, Zet and Diana were growing quite close, mostly into friendship and trust. Diana was finally shedding away all the bitterness and mistrust she had gathered up over the years, and was showing her true side to most everybody around. The woman was a kind, loving, caring, and sweet individual, despite what the fates had thrown to her, and for what it was worth, Zet enjoyed such refreshing company.

On that particular day, Diana looked absolutely angelic--the dragon’s wings that sprouted from her back made the illusion more real. Her flaming-red hair was combed out into beautiful strands and not the wild thistles it had once been. Her clothing consisted of a pretty casual shirt, green in color with a yellowish lining on the center and collar, and blue jeans that led down to the sandals covering her feet. She looked much more sophisticated and elegant wearing this, versus the tattered rags she had on when Zet first met her.

It certainly was true that they cared for each other, and it was obvious the degree was more than that of a mere bodyguard. Zet had been good to Diana ever since their first encounter; he treated her well, with the respect of a classy lady, and always went out of his way to make her happy or comfortable, or safe. He saw past the “freakish” design that cruel circumstances had given her, and for his support, care, and presence alone, Diana was forever grateful.

Still, she had no idea why he was there with her in the first place. Zet had initially claimed that he hated seeing innocent lives being oppressed, or defenseless people being tormented, or some such. But if that had been the case, he would’ve had a whole slew of people with him. He also claimed that Diana’s power was too threatening to be misused, and this was true, but the redheaded demi-human knew there was something else behind his reasoning, and on that day, she decided to find out what it was.

The two of them took a rest in a nearby park, on a bench that overlooked a lovely fountain. Neither one of them were particularly tired; it was just a nice day, and it needed to be enjoyed. For awhile, the two were silent as they stared at the fountain, then Diana suddenly remembered that she had a few questions to ask of her guardian.

“ ... Hey, Zatore?”

“Yes, milady?”

“You can call me Diana, silly,” she grinned. Zet smiled back and shrugged.

“I am sorry. I guess I should attest such habits to my strict upbringing. You could say that I was raised in a very gentlemanly fashion, in a very sophisticated locality.”

“You know, you never once told me about where you came from,” she said. Zet nodded his head.

“Yes, that it true, but I can say the same to you.”

“Point taken. Well, should I tell you first?”

“Of course. Ladies first, correct?”

“That’s right.” Smiling still, Diana leaned back and stared at the sunny blue sky, taking in a deep breath before she began her story. “Well, first of all, you know that I was born a human, right? And that these dragon appendages were the result of my being trapped in that cave?”

“I do.”

“Well, with that said, my parents soon died after my birth. My mother perished while having me, and my father died of heart complications soon after--a broken heart, I guess. Anyway, it all worked out fine, because I was later sent to this really wonderful orphanage.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. The nuns there took real good care of me; taught me everything I knew about kindness and patience and virtue and all the other ‘fruits of the spirit’. I especially liked this one woman named Sister Mary Thompkins. She was more of a big sister to me than a caretaker. Oh yeah, and then there was Father Benjamin. He was like my grandfather, always merry and bright with a bit of mischief in his eyes ... Those were the happiest days of my life.” Zet smiled at Diana as she gazed into the sky, and lost herself down the lane of past memories. It was easy to see that the nostalgia was getting to her.

“I see. But tell me, La--I mean, Diana,” (here she smiled at his correction), “how is it that such a woman as yourself, who was raised in a very spiritual place, came to be within the company of the Magic Star cult?” Diana’s happy face slowly faded, and a dark brooding replaced it quickly. The woman scowled and stared at the floor, and it was obvious that what she had to say next would be painful.

“ ... I didn’t go there by choice,” she said darkly. “The people that adopted me took me into the cult. They pretended to be all nice and sweet to Sister Mary and Father Ben, but once they had me in their clutches, they...” Diana choked on her own voice, and clenched her teeth so hard that they could have shattered. A hot tear fell down her emerald eye and trickled down her face, until it became absorbed in her shirt. Zet wanted to wipe it away, and to comfort her, but he felt it was not his place.

“ ... Well, I don’t wanna say anything else,” she managed, and Zet understood perfectly. “Thankfully, I didn’t stay with those monsters for long, and ... well, I guess my expulsion was a blessing sent to me by Sister Mary and Father Ben. I would have gone back to the orphanage, but I was already being pursued by those fanatics, and since they knew where the place was, I didn’t wanna go back there again. Besides, I might have put my loved ones in danger, and that’s something I’d never do...”

By this time, Diana was in tears. Dozens of hot beads of salty water flowed gently down her face, scarring it up like claw marks. She instinctively went to Zet and buried her face in his shoulder, allowing his wooly shirt to absorb such grief, and he tentatively put his arms around her in what would be their first true embrace.

A minute or two passed, and Diana composed herself and apologized for making such a scene. Zet smiled at her as best he could, and apologized himself for making her speak of such a dark past.

“No,” sniffled the demi-human, her evergreen eyes bleary, “I need to get it out of my system every once in awhile. It’s good for me, really it is. But ... God, I miss those people.”

“Maybe I can take you there sometime,” he offered. Diana sniffled again and gave her guardian a sweet smile.

“You would? Zatore, that would make my day--but not today. Let’s enjoy today first, all right?”

“If you insist,” he chuckled. Diana smiled back, and took a deep, refreshing breath.

“Oh yeah!!” she blurted suddenly. “I got so caught up in my own story that I forgot to ask yours! Hey, what’re you trying to pull?!”

“Nothing, nothing!” he insisted. “I was going to tell you, I honestly was!” Diana gave him a doubtful but playful look, and shrugged as she gave him the benefit of the doubt.

“ ... All right. So, start talking.”

“I shall.”

Let us see ... where shall I begin? Well, for starters, I was raised on the very planet Earth, the same one that so many people call home--yet, different. You could say that the Earth which I called home was on a parallel dimension, one that was more peaceful and good than the one available here. I must wonder, now, which is the true Earth and which is its facsimile...

In any case, I had been born into the Thrindale family, as you know. My mother and father were both wonderful people, but very strict when it came to raising their children. If you think I am a bit stiff, you should have seen them in action! Hahaha! I also had two younger sisters, so my family was a fairly average one. We were quite a wealthy lot, but old-fashioned. We did not rely too heavily on technology to get by, so instead, we chose to raise and breed horses for various uses, mostly for racing. The Thrindale horse became known as a very excellent breed, if I may be allowed to brag.

... However, all of that changed during the twentieth year of my life. A demonic pirate force, sweeping across the galaxy, landed on Earth and found their way to my family’s farm. Without any reason behind it, they destroyed everything they set their sights on, and robbed us of everything we had. My sisters were shamed and defiled, and my father was butchered, and my mother raped and slaughtered. I was the only survivor.

One can imagine my rage. In a youthful outburst of temper--you know how hotheaded I can become at times--I swore vengeance for the deprived act and set about hunting down those who have destroyed me. I have been hunting them down ever since, but I am shamed to admit that my search ended abruptly as I came across a certain wormhole in space. It was through this portal where I was thrown from one reality to the other, and I have been here on this Earth ever since, trying to get by.

Of course, I seethe every day that passes me by. I am constantly in a hidden rage, for I am but trapped in this world, while the killers of my family go free in my world, and there is little I can do about it. Lady Diana, my dear Lady Diana Jade, I may claim to protect you because of your power and such, but if the truth were to be told, you greatly remind me of my sisters. Every time I look at you, a stab of pain hits my heart, for you resemble one and act like the other. I feel like ... like I am guarding them, and making up for my cowardice and failures. I am sorry; it has all been one selfish lie from the first day.

Zet let out a sigh and shook his head wearily. He slumped down in the bench, not wanting to be seen by the woman sitting next to him. She gazed at him, at his elfin features, and her gentle heart went out to him. So ... that’s why ... Every time he saves me from danger, it’s like he’s saving his sisters, who he lost ... And such a tragic loss, too! Diana’s heart melted, and she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“Nice guys like you shouldn’t have a dark past,” she whispered. Zet took in a deep breath and sighed.

“Thank you. For what it is worth, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

“Seems we both have a bit of a dark history,” remarked the demi-human. She gave him a gentle shove, and an encouraging smile. “But, that just means we have to stick together all the more, right?” Zet raised his head, looked at the woman he was protecting, and finally managed a smile.

“You are correct. It would do both of us good to stay together a bit longer. But come, let us leave this place. We have stayed here long enough, and besides, I am feeling quite famished. Would you care for something to eat?”

“Yeah, that’d be great!” Both Zet and Diana stood up, and with their spirits lightened and their relationship strengthened, they walked down the streets together, stomachs rumbling all the way.

But something else came rumbling as soon as the two left the restaurant. The sky above had been a clear one, with very few clouds, and the controlled weather that day had not portended to rain. Yet the sky was now dark, with stormy flashes of lightning blazing in the sky, and the heavens rumbled as if a storm truly was brewing. Zet gazed up at the sky with severe concentration, and hissed softly as he watched the skies darken.

“Didn’t the weather station say that today was going to be a clear day?” said Diana. Zet did and said nothing. “Strange, that the sky would look like this, when the forecasters swore they were controlling the day to be sunny.”

“It is indeed a dark omen,” said Zet as he gazed at the sky. “Be wary, Diana! I do not know how to explain such a phenomenon, so be prepared for anything!” The lady nodded her head, and stood her ground as she gazed at the skies. What appeared to be a gray and murky sky grew worse and worse, and it quickly became obvious that this was not intended by the weather company. The sky grew electric, and dozens of snakes of electricity slithered out to zap the sky in a display of frightening power.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” muttered Diana. Zet heartily agreed.

With a final jolt of powerful electricity, a hole in the sky ripped open, and out of this vortex came something that could only be called Terror Personified. A large galleon, similar to the sea-riders of a thousand years earlier, was vomited out of the hole in a display of rumbling, peals of thunder, and earthquakes. The immense vessel sailed out of nowhere, riding on antigravity propulsion units as it made its way into the settlement.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close