Stars of Destiny - Cover

Stars of Destiny

Copyright© 2020 by Al Kristopher

Chapter 38: Infinity Stars

It all began, let us say, nearly seven-hundred years ago. The great Second Celestial War had been won, and the dreaded Chaos that threatened to engulf the lands had been extinguished. Humans were on the verge of a Golden Age that had not been witnessed since very ancient times, when the world was still whole and pure. In this time of prosperity, technology advanced, love blossomed, and the world experienced its first true period of peace since the great “Pax Romana”, eons before. It was the year 2077, and people seemed to be at such a high apex of wealth and contentment that they dared to challenge God once again.

Scientists began constructing what they called a “superhuman”, the ultimate collection of human data, traits, personality, and skill, and cultivated into a single living mass. Because of multiple failures, however, they were unable to full create one until thirty years later, when their research and technology had peaked. This “superhuman” was to have a longer life than others, would hardly age at all, would have great strength and knowledge, and would be an example of what all people could strive towards. He was given the name Adam Charles Nietzsche. With the success of Adam, scientists raced to create a “super woman”, and twenty-four years later, Eve Darwin Nietzsche was “born” into the world. The two superhumans mated, and bore a child, which was named Sigmund.

It was in the year 2142 that everything changed. The “super family”, advanced beyond all capabilities of science, made contact with an alien life form. Up until that time, no other creature was thought to exist outside of the Solar System, which had been completely explored and colonized just eighteen years before Adam was “born”. With this new discovery, humans finally found the proof that they had been searching for all those millennia--that there really were other advanced species out in the universe.

In the year 2222, human being explored the planetary systems outside of their own, and sparked a new era of exploration and danger. In 2253, my dear friends Abraham Withers and Abigail Ikumi were born; they would play many major roles in the following centuries, and would obviously leave a great mark on the tablet of history.

In 2270, all the hopes and dreams of the people were finally dashed to pieces. All Hell broke lose as Adam and Eve suddenly went berserk, without any reason or cause. They began destroying and killing anything that was in their sight, and with their advanced physiological makeup, were easily able to conduct war against the rest of the world. The “super family” which had started out as a beacon of hope and the power of humans had now turned against their own creators--some said it was the wrath of God that brought forth such misery. Seven years later, Abraham and Abigail, along with several of their comrades, were “altered” forever...

It was three years after this event when the alien life form that Adam and Eve contacted so long ago finally arrived on Earth. Their race was as deadly and destructive as the Chaos that had been extinguished so long ago; some people even said that the aliens, the Uroborus, were reincarnations of the same Chaos. When these aliens arrived to decimate the world and to align themselves with the maverick superhumans, “The Final War” began.

Before the twenty-fourth century turned, The Third Great Cataclysm occurred, and the face of the Earth was altered forever...

Ten years passed since Adam and Eve called forth vile judgment from the heavens. In that time of anarchy and carnage, Abraham and Abigail Withers used the research of their mentor Thomas Adams, as well as a recently-discovered technology, to develop what is known only as “the spirits”. It was the combined powers of the Earth, as well as an alliance with a friendly alien race, the Retharians, that finally spelled the doom of Adam and Eve. Five years after the annihilation of the superhumans, my species, the Eternenenites, began to appear, and with our additional help, the Uroborus were completely wiped out and driven away from the Earth.

That had all happened four-hundred years ago; I myself was not born until 2478, three-quarters of a century after the Retharians gifted Earth with the ability to make interplanetary and intergalactic travel possible. Things have been peaceful since then--the births and deaths of countless people have revolved, wars and peaces have been waged, and the galaxy has joined together. The Earth still lives, as a husk perhaps, but with the protection of myself and a few dozen other Eters that call this place their home.

Shadi has brought you all here to give you the news that the Uroborus that was assumed to have been destroyed in the past is now making a return. A terrible creature, born and yet unborn, dying yet not dying, sadistic and peaceful, chaotic and logical, the Uroborus is a being of fierce complexity, owing allegiance to chaos and THE Chaos. Its blood is the blood of the dead, its flesh is the skin and muscle of those who have been happy and horrified, its bones are steel and supple, and it is suicidal, and life-giving, and everything, and nothing.

It is coming. I can feel it. The creature that has yet to wring out the ultimate destructive storm, the Ultimate Cataclysm, has finally paid heed to the call of its fallen brethren. It is coming, I know it. I have seen it in the stars, and Shadi has seen it in the shadows, and Marshal Withers has known about it ever since the last of their kind vanished in the haze of defeat. It is coming. We have always felt that their kind would return, but when and where were not known. We do not even know why it has chosen this period to destroy us again...

But unless something is done, I am afraid to say that what is left of the Earth will soon be lost forever, drenched eternally in a mire of anarchy and confusion, and chaos and blood, rivers of blood. It is coming. It is upon us. I know it. I can feel it. This news is grave, my dear children, but with every storm cloud that passes over, there must always exist a silver lining...

It has been said that we are each born under our own individual star, and we are also tied to our own individual destiny. One day, the stars we are born under and the destinies we are tied together with shall meet, and our verse in the great song of life shall be sung. I believe this prophecy to be true; that is why Shadi has summoned you all here. You all each have an individual destiny to perform, but you also have a shared destiny, one that involves the combines hearts and wills of every one of you, and many more that you are unaware of, who have been called by Shadi’s comrades into other places. Together, you have joined here today to fulfill your destinies.

I am Chigaku, the star of Music--but I assume that you all knew that already! Diana Jade, you are Tenko, the Lone Star, though I do not think that applies to you any more, dear child. Dana Withers, you are Chisatsu, the Searching Star, who scours the galaxy looking for her path in life. Zatore Esgaroth Thrindale, you are Chiri, the Star of Justice, for your meritorious and honorable work. Sahn Runtharee, you are Tenbou, the Savage Star, for your strength is massive, and your reputation is wild.

Gregory Rodriguez, you are Chikou, the Cunning Star. Your wit and guile have helped you when all other sources seem inadequate. Woolyford, you are Chijyu, Beast Star, an animal of surprising strength and intellect. Cattia Prepells, you are Tensyo, the Swift Star, for it is by your speed and quick thinking that you have survived and thrived. Dustin Harper, you are Tenritsu, the Standing Spear Star, for it is by your strength and honor, and perhaps your unshakable foundation, that you are here presently.

Jerwon Nodsten, you are Chifuku, the Hiding Star, for though you consider yourself an adventurer, are you not merely hiding from a life of consistency, and commitment? Ilyich Brokolov, you are Tengou, Star of Conflagration. You believe yourself to not be part of this group, but with your experience and influence, you may yet be its strongest member. Melena Fara’dellyn, you are Tenyu, Star of Heroic Ferocity. I do not think I need to explain why that is!

Titania Prepells, you are Chiyu, the Helpful Star. You may think you shine dullest, yet it is by your light that many more people can see clearly. Ketra Glang, you are Tenrou, the Goal Star, for it is by your goals and your passion to reach them that you are as fierce and gentle as you are. Lord Shadi, then, is Chikai, the Star of Earthly Guidance; his counterpart, Aravi, is the Tenkai, Star of Heavenly Guidance. It is through their effort that you all have been asked here, to fulfill your destinies. To those I did not mention, feel you not ashamed. I assure you all, whether minor or influential, obscure or powerful, your role in this passion play shall be one of greatness.


Sayrah took a deep breath, and did not speak or sing for a very long time. She merely stood there, her long, thing body waving just faintly in the stillness of the forest. Her story had been long and woeful, full of her wailing voice and moaning cries, yet there was also adulation mixed in, and the sighs of one who was hopeful. She had spoken deeply, of deep topics and deep subjects, and sang of things that even the wisest there knew nothing about. Only Marshal Withers and Shadi didn’t seem confused; even Dana didn’t know, nor did Gregory or Diana or Jerwon, who knew Sayrah well. Out of all the people there, only Ilyich Brokolov didn’t seem quite as confused, but only because he had been trained not to.

“I think we should take this matter seriously,” said Zet in a quiet voice. “If I am able to believe that there are other dimensions out there, other realities for us to explore, then I can believe this. Ladies Sayrah and Abigail, and Lord Shadi, this elf shall assist you in whatever you need him to do, for as long as it takes, and as often as necessary. My beliefs are yours, my life is yours, my fingers and eyes and ears are yours; my loyalty is yours. Use me, and may this catastrophe be prevented before it has any chance of starting.”

“I hear you on that,” agreed Diana. “I trust Mother Sayrah; she knows what she’s talking about. Whatever you need me to do, I will do it.”

“And you’ve always got me and Tia on your side,” spoke Cat with a casual shrug. “You believed in me even when nobody else did, so now I shall believe in you. The Prepells sisters are yours to command.”

“We’re always gonna be on your side no matter what!” exclaimed Jerwon, and Gregory said the same. Dana stepped forth without any question or thought--she trusted her mother implicitly--and one by one, the gathered individuals gave themselves to the cause. Sayrah smiled and turned a little red at their support, but still did not speak. Shadi did all the talking while her voice rested.

“You all are good and true, putting differences aside and banding together for a single purpose. That is commendable. The enemy draws closer by the minute, yet still we may have a bit of time. Marshal Withers, you have a small portion of your fleet stationed just outside the orbit of my home world in this dimension, correct?” She nodded her head.

“But why would you need a part of the fleet?” asked Tania. “That monster, the whatever-it-was, is coming to Earth, isn’t it?” The Marshal nodded her head again but explained her reason.

“The Uroborus is a creature immune to the vacuum of space. It can survive anywhere except a black hole, even in the pit of the hottest star. If it reaches Earth, we’re pretty much done for. The fleet’s going to try and blast it down ... or, should I say, it’s going to blast them down.”

Them?? As in, more than one?”

“I’m just posing a possibility,” replied the Marshal. “Four hundred years of experience has sharpened my mind considerably. I can’t afford to not anticipate these things. Hopefully, though, there’ll only be one. We certainly destroyed a lot of them back in the old days, so I can’t imagine there’s a whole army left over.”

“It would seem more like a small group then...” muttered Dustin. She nodded her head. Melena, confused about the part that she would play, walked up to Sayrah and sheepishly looked up.

“Hey, uh, I gotta question.” Sayrah smiled quietly and pointed to Shadi. The silver-furred fox twitched several of its tails and paid her attention.

“The Lady Sayrah is saving her voice for a later time. That previous speech has debilitated her, so she will not speak for awhile. But I may answer your question.”

“Oh, okay. So like, while Abby’s up there shooting, what are we supposed to be doing down here on this planet?”

“A good question,” admitted Shadi, “but one that I cannot answer now.”

“What?! Why NOT?!”

“Because all shall be revealed in time...”

“Ooooooh, I HATE that answer! Why can’t anybody gimme anything straight?!” Melena steamed and screamed, slamming the ground with her foot, but was left largely to her own temperament. Shadi looked up at Sayrah and almost rolled his eyes; she grinned at him, and scratched him behind his ears, the way most foxes liked.


An uneasy hour passed for the large assembly. In that period, Dana bade her mother a hasty farewell, and Ilyich expressed little sentimentality once he followed her up into the dark regions of space. They planned to use their combined forces once again, in an effort to destroy the Uroborus before it arrived anywhere near the Earth. Nobody wanted to talk about what would happen if the Doves and the Redwing fleet failed, though Brokolov proudly assured everyone that his own fleet would never fail in anything. Skeptics remained as they were.

When Marshal Withers and General Brokolov blasted off into the sky, the remaining crew looked on in anticipation. Zet and Diana gathered around Shadi for comfort, and expressed their worries. He could assure them nothing, neither failure nor victory, but urged them both to look towards the dusky sky, into the gathering stars, and hope and pray for victory. Sayrah took in a deep breath, and began to quietly sing something in a foreign language. It sounded comforting, so many of her “children” gathered around her.

“I don’t know how I’m supposed to feel,” admitted Jerwon as he held onto one of her many arms. “I mean, I trust Dana’s mother, and I guess with that Brokolov guy up there, their chances are really great, but still...”

“Don’t worry, hon,” assured Cattia with her usual sly smile. She ruffled his hair as if he were still the short guy they had all known before, and winked at him. “If those two are handling things, then none of us needs to worry. I dunno why we were all called over here, but if we can help even a little, then that’s what we’ll do.” He nodded his head, but still fidgeted.

“I don’t feel too comfortable knowing that there’s some powerful alien entity hovering out around there,” muttered Tania. She hefted a knapsack she had brought with her, set it on the ground, and drew out a laptop computer she had stored in there. Instantly, the young lady began typing away, researching into the database looking deep within for a way to activate the satellites hovering around Earth. She hacked into one, and used it to give everybody a visual of what was going on.

“What’cha doing?” asked her sister as she leaned over her shoulder. Tania pointed to the screen, which was mostly covered with stars.

“We’ll be able to get a visual from the satellites around Earth and Mars. They’ll bounce around the images of the fleet and send them here, so we’ll be able to see what’s going on.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close