A True History Book One - Cover

A True History Book One

Copyright© 2020 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 10

While I had no idea what Judge Bannister was talking about, apparently everyone else did. So, I followed them. We ended up at a restaurant not that far from the school. I could smell that they were cooking steaks even while still outside.

The lot was relatively full at this time, but we all found places to park. I hurried to the door, so I could hold it for everyone, but Harry beat me to it. There was a line of people to the right, apparently to get their food. The Judge turned to the left. Confused, I followed him. He led us into a separate room that had two long tables set up end to end with place settings for 20.

“I smell a rat,” Emily said as she walked in.

“I thought it was a T-bone,” Elroy said, trying to sound innocent.

An older man and woman walked in through a side door, followed by Dora’s and Eve’s parents, followed by two other women I didn’t recognize, another man, and Rusty Eck. Trailing them was an older man that I also didn’t know.

Elroy looked at all of us. “As this is a bit of an occasion, I would prefer to have some assigned seating, as it were, if you don’t mind ... and even if you do mind.”

The last man in said, “This is your show, Elroy.”

“It always has been, Earl,” Elroy said with a chuckle. “On this end of this table, if the Menendez parents would sit on this side, with Dora in the third seat, opposite them the Patrick family, Eve across from Dora. Elizabeth, if you would sit by Eve, Cal, by Dora. Harry, please sit next to Elizabeth, Emily next to Harry, then Marianne and Allen next to you. Earl, one seat over from Cal. Jane and Jill, next to Earl, and then Don and Rusty, on that end. Thank you all for coming tonight.”

“Somehow or other, I didn’t feel like we had a lot of choice, Elroy,” Earl said.

Elroy smiled. “To a certain extent, that is true. I’m afraid I did sort of make this a bit of a ‘command performance’ request for all of you. I also know that some of you have no clue as to who everyone at this table is. Hopefully, though, you all know at least one of the reasons I called everyone here tonight.”

“Cousin Emily is getting married,” either Jane or Jill said.

“Correct, Jill.” Well, that cleared up who everyone was at the end of the table, anyway, from their first names.

“However, this is not the only reason. Before I get into that, though, for the courtesy of those who are not part of the family at this time, I’d like it if everyone would introduce themselves and what they do. Go ahead and start, Rusty.”

He smiled like the car salesman he was. “I’m Rusty Eck, this is my wife, Jill. I own Eck Ford, in Wichita.”

Across from him, the other man about his age said, “I’m Don McCullough, Jane is my wife. I’m co-owner of Wichita Tractor, with my brother, Clayton.”

“Allen and Marianne Miller. I’m plant manager of the GM factory in Kansas City, we’re Emily’s parents.”

With a sigh, the man by Elroy said, “Earl O’Connor, Chief Judge, US District Court of Kansas. Sometime friend of this old reprobate, and in case you didn’t know, Harry, I served with your Dad as well. Which is why I suspect I’m here.”

Elroy laughed. “From the expression on his face, I suspect he did not know that. Of course, everyone here has met Emily Miller, my niece, but not everyone knows Harry Watson, her fiancé. Let’s skip the young people for now.” He pointed at Stephen.

“Um, we’re Stephen and Jennifer Patrick. I’m the Chief Administrator at Regional Hospital here in Hutchinson, Jennifer is a fourth-grade teacher at Graber Elementary.”

“I am Roberto Menendez, my wife Esmeralda. I own Menendez Construction, Esmie has been raising our children. Our son is babysitting our other children and Toby Patrick tonight, so we could be here.”

“Thank you, Roberto. Now, for the star of this dinner, who has no idea what is going on at this point,” Elroy said, tapping me on the shoulder.

“Judge O’Connor, Mister and Missus Miller, folks, I am Cal, short for California, Lewis. Um, I’m a student at Hutchinson High and at HCC, starting quarterback for the Salthawk football team, and vaguely related to Harry.” I looked at Elroy. He motioned for me to introduce the girls. “These are my girlfriends, Beth Watson, Dora Menendez, and Eve Patrick. And you’re right, Judge Bannister, I have no idea what’s going on.”

“Excellent, just as I planned.” He turned to where someone had been watching through a window, waving them in. “Before we get into the reason we’re really all here, it’s time for dinner.” Three members of the staff brought in trays, with two others distributing the salads that were on them. As the trays were emptied, the staff came around with sweet tea, coffee, and water for everyone.

Elroy nodded at the waitress, who said, “If anyone prefers their filet in anything other than medium, please let me know now.” Rusty and Don both wanted medium well, which she noted. “Thank you. We’ll have those out, with loaded baked potatoes as the side, in about 10 minutes. Enjoy your salads.” She turned and left us alone.

I dug into my salad. I felt Beth’s eyes on me. I met them and gave a minute shrug of my shoulders. Dora and Eve both noticed that, made small nods with their heads, starting on their salads as well.

From the far end of the table, Rusty said, “I didn’t know when you were buying trucks from me that you were the starting quarterback.”

Elroy held his hand up. “Please, other than a simple pass the salt or butter, let’s have no conversation until after we’ve all eaten.”

I heard Rusty snort out, “Fine”. Other than the sound of cutlery and chewing, it was quiet for several minutes.

After ten minutes, there were four members of the staff carrying trays that came into the room, again with two to serve. They started on the end with Rusty and Don, giving them their plates and quickly proceeding up the table. My plate had two pieces of meat on it. I glanced at Elroy, who seemed amused by my look at him.

The cuts were filet mignon, and incredibly tender. I was surprised at the difference in the flavor from the ribeye steaks I’d had before. While these were surprisingly easy to cut and eat, I felt the ribeye was the more flavorful meat. Either way, I ate both of mine and all of my potato. As the steaks themselves were, I thought, a little small, all my girls managed to eat theirs, and at least half the loaded potato.

After another 20 minutes of silence, everyone was done. Rusty and Don got done first, and sat at the end of the table making small noises like they weren’t amused, but at least respecting the request for no conversation.

The staff came back in, removed our plates, brought pitchers of tea and water, then left us alone. That seemed to be Rusty’s cue.

“Okay, Dad, we’re all done eating. Can we go play now?” The other three at that end of the table seemed to find that amusing.

“Of course you can, Rusty. If you wish to leave the room, and remain excluded from the remainder of the discussion that’s going to take place, feel free to do so,” Elroy said.

Rusty sat back in his chair with a huff.

“Now then ... a little history. Everyone knows that World War II ended 39 years ago. Rather obviously, Earl and I were born well before that, and we served in it. So was, and did, Harold Watson, Harry’s dad. Somehow or other, three boys from completely different parts of Kansas ended up in the same outfit, doing a lot of the same thing. And ended up at the end of the war, in somewhat similar positions financially, meaning very well off. Harold wanted to be a farmer, so I set him up with a good price for land from some people I knew in this area. Earl and I both wanted to be lawyers for some stupid reason, so we went to college and then law school, and after a brief period of time in private practice, we’ve both been in the judiciary, ever since.”

“Now, Marianne is, of course, my little sister by almost 6 years. Allen, if I recall right, you served during Korea, with the Navy.” Allen nodded at Elroy. “And of course, Jane and Jill are my daughters.” He dropped his bombshell. “Or, at least that’s what we’ve always told everyone. Which is why I insisted you eat first, because otherwise, I’ll sure as hell ruin your appetites.” He turned to Dora and Eve’s parents. “Sorry, this’ll become clear shortly.”

Jane looked at Elroy. “What are you talking about, Dad?”

“That is exactly the issue that has come up. I’m not. Oh, I raised you and your sister like you were my own, because back then, it would have been a serious scandal. Harry, we know your Dad and Mom made you before the war, because you were born in mid ‘42. Jane and Jill were both made sometime in ‘43 and ‘44, supposedly while I was home on leave. Harry, did you ever wonder why you had no younger siblings? The answer is quite simple. Harold, Earl, and I all contracted malaria late in ‘42, and received some experimental drugs to help treat it. They worked. Cured the malaria without an issue. And made all three of us totally sterile.”

There was total silence from both ends of the table. “Don’t worry too much, Don and Rusty. I’m not going to cut you out from your businesses. However, there’s a caveat to that. As I just said a short time ago, Harold, Earl, and I all came home with quite a bit of money.” He looked at the Menendez and Patrick couples. “I’m quite sure you’ve all four heard some rumors to that effect, so I’m not telling you anything new. What is new, for all of you to learn, is that Earl and I have been ... silent partners ... over the years. Basically, everything that you all think I own has actually been owned by both of us, in equal shares. Since Earl went into the larger, Federal, field like he did, to a certain extent, he had to keep his wealth hidden from view.”

“Emily, just so you know, I was quite disappointed with you when you got together with Franklin Bartholomew. I was quite happy to see you rectify that mistake. And I’m also quite happy to see you finally make the decision that Harold, Earl, and I, had all hoped that you would make.”

“Thank you, Uncle Elroy. Um ... if I’m perfectly honest, I wouldn’t have made it at this time without the encouragement of Cal.”

Elroy pointed both index fingers at her in appreciation. “Exactly. And that’s why Cal is the star of this dinner, as it was he that managed to get the two of you together. My only regret is that Elizabeth is not blood kin to you, Emily, as you and Harry having a child would simplify things considerably, due to the agreements that Harold, Earl, and I made decades ago.”

Emily closed her eyes, then opened them again. “That was something I was going to have to talk to you about anyway, Uncle Elroy. Mom, Dad, I hope you can forgive me, but I’m pregnant. Harry was already planning on asking me to marry him, anyway, so we just moved the time table up a little.”

Marianne simply reached over and gave her daughter a big hug, while Allen tried to glare at Harry a little. “How soon?” Marianne asked.

“About 8 and a half months,” Emily said.

“Oh, bullshit,” Jill said. “No one can tell within a week or not if they’re pregnant.”

“On the contrary, Missus Eck. My mother was a world class biologist. I know of a test that I can easily perform that will tell not only whether you’re pregnant or not, but also about how far along you are. I can, and have, confirmed that Emily is expecting.”

Rusty was letting his true colors out. “What the fuck do you know, kid? You’re just some high school punk.” At his language, Earl looked at Elroy with a smile on his face. Upon hearing his words, Beth stood up, slamming her hand on the table.

“Mister Eck, Cal is not some punk! He is the starting quarterback of the Salthawks. He is also taking a full load at HCC, and will graduate in the spring with four Associate degrees. He also happens to be a certified super genius. I demand that you apologize to him right now for your disrespectful words!”

“What are you going to do if I don’t, Missy? Cry on me? Elroy, what’s the whole point of this theatrical performance?”

“As I said, Rusty. I’m not going to cut you out of my businesses. However, what the new manager of my funds ... and with the exception of my personal bank account and what’s in there, I literally mean, ALL my funds, including those that are 51% owners in both of your businesses ... does with them, is up to them. After all, I can’t leave my own personal fortune to someone I’m actually not related to, can I?”

At that, Earl said, “However, I can, as I happen to have no living children or close relatives, courtesy of the damned Vietnam War. Of course, I’ve been quite appreciative of Elroy over the years. In amassing his fortune, he’s also created one for me. I have more than enough of a personal bank account as well, to see me through retirement. So, I happen to agree with Elroy that a new manager for our funds needs to be found.”

Elroy looked at my girlfriend’s parents. “From the phone calls I received, young Cal has told you of his own personal wealth, as well as his willingness to share it with not only your daughters, but you as well, and for the good of Hutchinson as well. In and of itself, a staggering amount that will only increase over time. I do applaud your concern for the future of your daughters, given their rather immediate plans regarding him. At the same time, he and I had a bit of a discussion regarding his career plans. While they weren’t set in stone, it would seem that he is both an ambitious and extraordinary individual, with lofty goals.”

“So, while for now, Earl and I will retain ownership of our funds, Cal will be the one who manages them. Determining what is and is not a bad investment, and at the same time doing everything he can to both increase the funds while improving Hutchinson, Reno County, and the State of Kansas.”

Rusty slammed his glass down. “You insult me, my wife, and now you tell me that a ... kid ... is going to control the money at MY dealership? That’s it, Elroy. My lawyer will be in touch with you. Come on, let’s get the hell out of here.”

Jill looked at Elroy. “Dad?”

“I’m sorry, Jill. I’m simply the man who helped raise you. I’m sorry you chose poorly for a husband. I know I chose poorly for a wife.”

Rusty was angrier now. He got up and started walking around the table. I sighed, then pushed my chair back. “Oh, look, the little punk is going to pretend that he’s a big man. Get out of my way before you get hurt, little boy!”

“Mister Eck, you have two choices facing you right now. One, you can turn and walk out that door under your own power. Two, I can throw you out through that door. I suppose technically you have three, because that would mean an ambulance crew will carry you out through that door. It’s up to you.”

“You took advantage of me because I thought I was doing a favor for my father-in-law. I’m taking that lost money out of your ass right now!”

I sighed. “Choice three it is, then.” I stepped away from the table a little, so there wouldn’t be a lot of collateral damage.

Even though he was on the other side of the table, Allen Miller got up. Elroy barked, “Sit down, Allen. Rusty apparently needs a lesson in civility.”

Don McCullough did slide his chair back, for a better view. Rusty looked at the rest of the table, where everyone else was sitting, calmly watching. “Too bad, kid. No one’s going to come to your aid, it looks like.”

He then swung at my face. I simply leaned back as his fist approached, so it missed me. That irritated him, so he swung his other fist at my head. I again leaned back, without moving my body.

“I believe that in baseball, that would be two strikes against you, Mister Eck. I suspect you won’t like what happens if you strike out.”

“PUNK!” He lunged for me, presuming to grapple with me, as he only outweighed me by about a hundred pounds. I stepped to my right, grabbed his reaching arm, twisted it up and behind his back as he went by me, applying pressure to almost, but not quite, the point of dislocating his shoulder. He roared in pain, “You little FUCKER, you’re DEAD!”

I heard the noise from behind me as Don leaped to his feet and ran for me. I reached down with my free hand, picked Rusty up by his pants, and spun around. The steak knife that Don had grabbed from his plate ended up in Rusty’s abdomen. I continued to spin Rusty just a little, so the 6” knife blade made a foot-long slice across Rusty’s belly. I then pushed Rusty a little, so he ended up colliding with Don, knocking Don down, and then Rusty fell on him.

Elroy held one hand up in the air. That apparently was a signal of some kind. From the area where the servers had brought our food, two police officers came into the room, one on his radio, calling for the ambulance crew to come in. Almost immediately, the door to the outside opened up, and a crew with a gurney came running in.

“What the fuck just happened?” Don asked, as the ambulance crew started working to stabilize Rusty. They had pulled Rusty off him, leaving the knife still inside. Rusty was in shock, with massive blood loss. They shoved gauze in to slow the bleeding, and rushed him out to the waiting ambulance.

The senior police officer said, “Sir, you are under arrest. Place your hands behind your back.”

Don looked at me, looked at Elroy. “You cocksucker! You planned THIS!” He jumped up and started to swing at Elroy. I grabbed his hand, squeezing just a little. Don screamed in pain as four bones broke in his fingers. I brought his hand down, so the police officer could grab it, cuff him, then get his other hand as well. They started dragging him out. I was a little surprised that both Jane and Jill were still sitting in their chairs, instead of standing up with or for their husbands.

They both seemed to be sitting in a state of shock, more than anything else. I stepped around the puddle of blood on the floor. “Ladies, while I am sorry that the actions that happened tonight have occurred, I had no idea that any of this would happen. Nor was I aware in any way, shape, or form, of what Judge Bannister said tonight, prior to now. As I am apparently the financial manager for the funds, which include investments in your husband’s businesses, I cannot advise you at this time to immediately file for divorce due to irreconcilable differences, and to seek half, or more, of the monies and properties that they run, if not full control. I also cannot advise you that if you were to gain control of those businesses, that there would be no change in the investments in them, but I can say that if you do not, all investments would be cashed out, immediately, which would bring both of those businesses to their knees.”

“You’re a cold little bastard, aren’t you?” Jane said.

“My parents were legally wed, madam. Apparently unlike yours.”

She was fuming, and I thought she was going to say something else, when Jill smacked her on the cheek. “Shut up, Jane!” She looked at Elroy. “I’ve called you Dad for my whole life, so I hope you’ll forgive me if I slip and do so in the future. I ... hoped ... you didn’t know, but I learned the truth when Tyler was born. I knew your blood type from your dog tags. I knew Mother’s from when she had surgery for the cancer that killed her. When I went into labor, they checked mine, in case it was a problem. You’re O negative. Mom was A negative. I’m B positive.”

“I’m ... ashamed that I didn’t tell you. I’m sorry. For a lot of things. Young man, there is some advice that you didn’t give that I will discuss with my sister and our attorneys. Everyone, I’m ... sorry for ruining this evening. Excuse me.” She got up and left. Jane did so as well after a moment.

I could hear that they were stopped outside by some more police officers, so they could give their statements.

Elroy stood up. “Folks, I apologize for what happened. More importantly, I apologize to the management of Ponderosa for the mess we’ve caused.” The restaurant manager had come in, looking nauseous at the sight of the blood on the floor.

I pulled out my wallet. “Sir, I realize that this cannot compensate for what you and your staff have seen this evening. Please take this, to cover both the bill for our meals, and to tip your staff for the ... clean-up efforts they’re going to have to do.”

“Um ... Judge Bannister had already paid for the meals. We’ll have to have a health department inspection before we can use this room again, too.” Then he realized how much I’d given him. “Oh, this should cover our expenses, and trust me, sir, I will make sure the staff split this for their tip.”

With that, Elroy and Earl ushered everyone else outside. I walked with Elroy. “She’s right, you know. Jill, I mean. I would presume that her biological father was either B or AB. The thing is, she could have been A or O, if he’d been type B,” I quietly said.

“I know,” he replied in a low voice as well. “Thing is, we didn’t know we were sterile until several years after the war. Jane doesn’t remember, but she had dental surgery when she was four. That’s when I found out she was type B as well. I’d wondered why we only had the two children, even though their mother and I were ... still practicing, as it were. That led me to do some checking with a specialist, which caused Harold and Earl to do the same tests.”

Harry, Emily, and her parents were talking about the upcoming wedding. Beth, Dora, and Eve were standing a little apart from the other two sets of parents, looking rather calm about things. Jane and Jill had both been released by the police, and the detective was looking like he wanted to do an interview, but was holding off. Earl walked over to him, to explain the reality of the situation, while Elroy and I had our talk.

After he and I were done talking, I followed him to where Dora and Eve’s parents stood. “Gentlemen and ladies, I sincerely apologize to all four of you for what you witnessed this evening. I freely admit I had my suspicions that minor violence would occur this evening. A broken bone or two, certainly a concussion. I also am quite proud of both of you, Stephen and Roberto, for not getting involved,” Elroy said.

Roberto said, “We watched Cal play football. And we have spent many hours in talks with Dora. As much as it pains me to admit, given my own heritage, I knew he was in no danger, so I remained seated. If I had even the slightest hint that there was possible danger to him, or to anyone else, I obviously would have been by his side.”

“Exactly. I’m going to ask all four of you something very serious, now. Do all of you understand exactly what this discussion was really about, tonight?”

“Judge, I’ve both business and legal training. We already know that Cal has millions of dollars in wealth, on his own. You’ve ... given him control of, but not ownership of, hundreds of millions of dollars. I don’t know for sure that I approve, simply because of his age. I have no issues with his intelligence, I’m just concerned about his experience. I question whether he has the knowledge to make the sound business decisions needed.”

“He probably doesn’t, yet. The key word in that being yet. You all are aware that he is a page at a glance reader?”

They nodded. “I have a very large library of business books at my office. As Cal will not have practice on Thursday after school, he will come there and gain the knowledge he needs. Experience will come with time. The other serious question I have for you is, are you prepared for your daughters to move out of your homes this Saturday?”

Both mothers nodded, while both fathers looked shocked that Elroy would say that. When Stephen and Roberto realized what their wives had done, they then looked at them. “Better to do it with our blessing than without. She is old enough, mi amor, to know her corazón. We are not losing a daughter; we are gaining three more children. And I trust her to not make us grandparents before it is time.”

Jennifer took Stephen’s hand. “Think of it as we’re not losing a daughter, we’re gaining a new den or library.” He looked at her with a stunned expression on his face. “Those plans that Cal showed us on Saturday. That house will be there in less than two months, anyway. She’ll move out then, regardless of what we say or do. You know that. How many hours did we spend on Sunday discussing it? I’m still not thrilled about it, but any objections we might have are a moot point. Look at the three of them, standing there. I don’t see three girls, I see three young women, waiting for their man.”

Both fathers reluctantly nodded at the reality they faced. Earl had walked over to join us and heard Elroy’s last question. “Very good,” Earl said. “Elroy, you’ll have the documents ready for signing by Thursday, then?”

“I’ll have them ready tomorrow. But I know you won’t be back in town until Thursday afternoon.” He sighed. “I suppose I ought to go break the bad news to Emily now.”

Earl laughed. “You’ve a strange sense of bad news, my friend.” We all gathered together in a group, still in the Ponderosa parking lot.

“Marianne, I hate to interrupt, but I have to talk to Emily and Harry for a moment. You can hear what I have to say, it won’t take long.”

She looked at her brother with a puzzled look on her face. “You’ve become quite the man of mystery in the past few weeks, Elroy. What are you going to tell my daughter?”

“Emily, there’s no really easy way to say this. You have been terminated from your position as a vice-president of the First National Bank.”

I could tell that Allen and Marianne were shocked, and Marianne started to talk. Emily raised her hand, one finger in the air.

“Uncle Elroy, were you hoping to get an emotional response from me, before springing the rest of your statement on me? If so, I’m sorry. I’ve learned from talking to Cal to pay very close attention to what is said, how it is said, and when it is said.”

“Congratulations, you surprise me. Once again, this amazing young man has made an impact on a woman in this community. There were two things, which due to what was said inside, are now three, that I need to address. I was not kidding, when I say you’re no longer the vice-president of the bank. You are now the president of the bank. I was not kidding, either, when I said that Cal was going to manage the funds that Earl and I have invested, not just in the bank, but in...” He spread his hands open. “ ... literally half of this state. Earl and I will need to meet with Cal, Harry, and you on Thursday after he is out of school, at my office. You will be signing papers then, which will be effective the moment on Friday evening that you and Harry are pronounced man and wife.”

He looked at me. “You’re certain she’s pregnant?”

“Guaranteed. I cannot say that there may not be a miscarriage. However, based upon the tests I’ve conducted, there is an embryo implanted in Emily’s womb right now, with no doubt whatsoever.”

“I’m learning to watch what I ask around you. You’ve said you’ll never lie to me. But you are a master at misdirection, even better than the two of us, and we’ve nearly a century of experience. But your words just now had none of that.” He turned back to everyone else. “Just as a heads up, Emily. You and Harry will be made the trustees for my half of the funds, which will belong to your son or daughter.” He glanced at me.

“Too soon to tell, sorry. Not without tests that may harm the embryo.”

“You will be given ... administrator fees, for lack of a better term ... which will make the two of you millionaires in your own right. I’m guessing Mister Gold here already had that in his plans, anyway. However, as I mentioned, Cal will be making decisions on where those funds go, and what they do. To give him incentive, Earl will be giving ownership of HIS half of the funds to Cal.”

“Judge O’Connor, you ... you don’t know me at all. Why would you do that?”

“You’re correct, Son. I don’t know you. But I do know Elroy, been friends with him for more than forty years. He, and Harold while he was alive, were the brothers I never had. From his descriptions of you, plus how you impressed John, I’m not surprised at all that Elroy considers you his own grandson.” At my puzzled expression, he said, “Governor Carlin. You and he had several non-poker related conversations while you were playing. You have no idea how much influence you have in this state, right now.”

I blinked. “Apparently not. I’m almost afraid of what’s going to happen after Friday.”

Harry was puzzled. “Why is that, Cal?”

“Simple. You and Emily will leave on your honeymoon. Dora and Eve will move into the house. We’ll destroy Maize in the football game, of course. And I’m going to start spending and investing ... damn, I don’t know what my total is going to be, until Wednesday, but - at least two hundred million dollars, plus how much?”

Elroy glanced at Earl, who nodded. “About fifty million in liquid assets, plus another seven hundred million in stocks, bonds, and businesses. That’s just our personal funds. That’s not counting the non-profits that we control, which by the way, Mister Patrick, includes Regional, as well as two hospitals in Wichita. And, of course, the First National Bank, and its assets, as well, which we have to be careful with, due to Federal regulations and such. Pity there’s not a Federal Judge around that can help with that.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close