The Space Pioneers - Cover

The Space Pioneers

Public Domain

Chapter 11

“Of the thousand ships that blasted off from Earth there are only six hundred thirteen left that can be used in the construction of the first colony of Roald.”

Governor Hardy’s voice was firm as he addressed the assembled colonists and spacemen from the air lock of a space freighter.

There was a murmur among the colonists at this news. They knew that the landings on the satellite had been costly; that many ships had crashed as a result of the unexplained interference with the ships’ instruments. And since each ship had been designed to be cannibalized into houses, workshops, and power plants, they realized the plans for the settlement would have to be radically revised.

Once the Polaris had landed safely, the other ships of the fleet had followed, each trying to find the delicate balance between the pull of the satellite and the thrust of their rockets. And since many of Vidac’s hand-picked crewmen were in control, a large number of the valuable and irreplaceable ships and their supplies had been lost. They didn’t burn when they crashed. Fire could have been easily extinguished. Instead, deadly radiation from the cracked firing chambers flooded the ships and their cargo, rendering them useless.

Tom, Roger, and Astro stood with Jeff Marshall and the Logan family as the governor outlined their initial objectives on the satellite.

“First,” declared Hardy, “we have to build atmosphere booster stations. We can’t live without oxygen and there isn’t enough oxygen in the atmosphere to sustain us very long. Second, we have to establish our ownership boundaries and begin planting our crops. We can’t live without food. Third, we have to live more frugally than ever before in order to maintain our reserves of food and essential items. The nearest supply center is fifty billion miles from here.” He paused and surveyed the sea of grim faces before him.

“We’ve had a hard blow,” he continued, “in losing so many ships and their supplies, but it will not defeat us. We all came here with the understanding that it would be difficult. We did not expect an easy life. We knew it would be tough, but not quite as tough as it’s going to be now. But we will win! And remember, we are no longer people of Venus, Earth, Mars, or Titan, we are citizens of Roald!”

There was a roar of approval from the colonists. A band began to play and the assembly was adjourned.

“He talks sense,” Hyram Logan commented. “Real fighting sense!”

“I’d like it a lot better, though,” replied Astro, “if he didn’t make it sound like a rally.”

“Yeah,” agreed Roger. “He sounded as though he was pepping up his team to do or die in a mercuryball game.”

“This is no game,” said Tom. “We’re fighting starvation, perhaps death! And, believe me, if this colony goes the way of all space dust, it will be a long time before there’ll be another fleet of a thousand ships gambled on a star colony!”

Logan nodded his head. “That’s the way I look at it, Tom,” he said. “Regardless of what kind of beef we might have with Hardy or Vidac and his crew, we all have to work together to make Roald a colony. A successful colony!”

Returning to Fleet Ship Number Twelve, which was to be used for quarters by the colonists until their homes could be erected, the three cadets and Jeff Marshall said good-by to the Venusian farmer and continued on toward the Polaris.

“Did Professor Sykes find any indication of what might have caused the instruments to act up during the landing, Jeff?” asked Tom. The curly-haired cadet referred to the professor’s investigation started as soon as the Polaris had landed.

“Nothing so far, Tom,” replied Jeff. “But it must be something big. He packed a lot of gear into a jet boat and blasted out of here this morning.”

“What do you suppose it is?” asked Astro.

“I don’t know,” replied Jeff. “I can’t even guess.”

“I can,” said Roger, “and if it’s what I think it is--well, I just hope it isn’t, that’s all.” The blond-haired cadet stopped talking abruptly.

Tom, Astro, and Jeff looked at each other. Finally Tom asked, “Well, what do you think it is?”

“There’s only one thing I know really well, Tom,” replied Roger. “Just one thing, and that’s electronics. I may be a jerk about a lot of things, but I know electronics.”

“O.K.,” said Astro. “You know electronics. But what has that got to do with the instruments going out of whack?”

“The only natural element that would cause such disturbance is uranium.”

“Uranium!” breathed Tom. “You mean uranium pitchblende?”

“I mean uranium!” snapped Roger. “Uranium pitchblende isn’t concentrated enough to cause a reaction like that on the instruments. It would take a big chunk of pure uranium to do the job.”

“But if that were so,” Astro protested, “wouldn’t the instruments still be acting up? In fact, wouldn’t we start feeling the effects of the radiation?”

“Not necessarily, Astro,” said Tom. “I understand what Roger’s getting at. The uranium could be located in another sector of the satellite, on the other side, maybe. It could be throwing radiation out into space without affecting us here.”

“You mean we’re under the effects?” asked Astro.

“Looks like it,” replied Tom. “But on the other hand,” he continued, “why wasn’t there some report of it when the first expedition came out to look over the satellite?”

“I can’t answer that question, Tom,” answered Roger. “But I’d be willing to bet my last credit that there’s uranium on this space-forsaken rock. And a whopping big deposit of it!”

They reached the air lock of the Polaris and climbed wearily aboard. At the end of the first day, on the new satellite, they were exhausted. A few minutes after entering the giant cruiser they were all sound asleep.

Dawn of the second day on Roald saw the vast plain crowded with men at work. The first community objective was the construction of an atmosphere station, and before the woman and children had finished lunch, they were breathing synthetically produced air.

Working from a master plan that had been devised back at Space Academy before the expedition blasted off, the colonists were divided into three separate crews: the wreckers, those who would remove essential parts from the spaceships as they were needed; the movers, those who would haul the parts to construction sites; and the builders, those who would take the parts and construct the community buildings.

The first and most difficult job was building a gigantic maneuverable derrick and jet barge for removing, hauling, and installing the heavy machinery.

Astro had been assigned to the crew responsible for the construction of the jet barge. With many of the vital parts aboard the crashed freighters still hot with radioactivity, the crew had to improvise. And Astro, with his native talent for mechanics, soon became the unspoken leader of the crew. Even the supervisor acknowledged the young cadet’s superior ability and allowed him a free hand in the construction of the barge. After six hours of hard labor, the “mover” was finished. It was not the streamlined machine its designer had conceived, but it was effective, in some cases, more so than the designer imagined. A low, flat table roughly three hundred feet square, it moved on sledlike runners and was powered by two dozen rockets. On each of the four sides there was a two-hundred-foot boom which could be swung around in a 360° arc and was capable of lifting three hundred tons. Astro’s most outstanding improvement on the original design was what he termed “adjustment rockets,” placing single rockets that could be individually controlled on all four sides, so that the operator of the giant jet barge could jockey into perfect position anywhere. The machine quickly demonstrated it could move anything, anywhere.

Roger worked with the supervisor of the assembly groups, ordering supplies and machinery as they were needed from the wrecking crews and seeing that they were sent to the right place at the right time. One of his first jobs was the assembling of materials for the construction of the Administration Building of the colony. Less than five days after the foundation had been dug, the last gleaming sheets of Titan crystal were welded together and the building towered over the plain, a glistening monument to man’s first flight to the stars.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close