The Space Pioneers - Cover

The Space Pioneers

Public Domain

Chapter 18

Governor Hardy was not to be found. Strong made inquiries around the Administration Building and among the colonists but he could find no trace of the governor. The only thing Strong learned was that Hardy had spent the last two weeks wandering around in the outlying wilderness areas of the satellite, alone, apparently searching for something. But the Solar Guard captain realized that it would be a waste of time to race around the planet searching aimlessly for the governor. He became more and more convinced that Hardy was hiding. His suspicions were increased when he found Vidac waiting for him in the deserted lobby of the Administration Building with a warrant for his arrest. The warrant had been signed by Hardy.

“Before I place myself in your hands,” said Strong, “I want to see the governor.”

“Considering that you committed a crime by aiding the escape of the Space Cadets,” said Vidac, “that will not be possible.”

“I demand to see the governor!”

Vidac turned to Winters who was standing by his side. “Take him,” he ordered.

Winters whipped out his paralo-ray gun, and before he could move, a paralyzing charge froze the Solar Guard captain in his tracks.

“Take him to my quarters,” said Vidac. “And stay with him. I’m going to organize a searching party and find those cadets.”

“Right,” said Winters.

As Vidac walked away, Winters picked up the paralyzed body of the Solar Guard officer and carried him awkwardly to the slidestairs. Though under the effects of the paralo-ray, Strong’s mind still continued to function. Even as Winters carried him across his shoulder like a stick of wood, Strong was planning his escape. He figured Winters would release him from the ray charge once inside Vidac’s quarters and he was ready to go into action.

Winters opened the panel to Vidac’s spacious office and carried Strong through to the other side where the lieutenant governor’s sleeping quarters were located. He put the helpless man down on the bed, and stepping back to the panel, flipped on the neutralizer of the ray gun. He fired, releasing Strong from the frozen suspension.

Strong felt the jolts of the neutralizer charge but he clamped his teeth together to keep them from chattering and stayed rigid. He had to remain still, as if the neutralizer charge had not released him, in order to make his plan work. Winters waited for Strong to move, and when he didn’t, stepped closer, prodding him with the barrel of the gun. In a flash Strong leaped up and grabbed the ray gun. Twisting it out of the surprised man’s hand, he brought the weapon down on the man’s neck. Winters dropped to the floor like a stone.

Then Strong scrambled to his feet and cold-bloodedly turned the ray on Winters, blasting him into immobility. He turned grimly toward the panel and raced to the slidestairs. If Vidac had a warrant for his arrest, signed by Hardy, then Vidac knew where Hardy was. If he could follow the lieutenant governor, he might possibly learn just where the mystery of Roald began and who was after what and why.


After leaving the jet car and climbing into the desolate hills surrounding Roald City, Tom, Roger, and Astro watched from the safety of a ridge the quick search Vidac and Winters had made to find them. When the two men had returned to the superhighway and blasted back toward the city, taking both jet cars, the three boys made their way slowly through the night down the opposite side of the hills and headed for the Logan farm. When the sun star rose over the satellite’s horizon, the three boys were stretched out flat on their stomachs in a field, watching the morning activity of Jane, Billy, and Hyram Logan about the farm.

“Think we can get them to help us?” asked Roger.

“It’s the only thing we can do,” said Astro. “If they won’t, we might as well give ourselves up. I’m so hungry I could eat a whole cow!”

“What kind of a cow?” asked Roger. “There aren’t any on Roald, remember? We drink synthetic milk.”

“I could even eat a synthetic cow!” was Astro’s grim rejoinder.

“Come on, you two,” said Tom. “We might as well try it. You think they’re alone?”

“They don’t act as though there’s anyone around but themselves,” said Roger. “But I don’t know--”

“I thought I saw a curtain move at that window on the left a while ago,” commented Astro, “and all three of them were outside.”

“Probably a breeze,” said Tom. “You cut over to the right, Astro. I’ll go straight in, and you take the left, Roger. That way, if anything goes wrong, one or two of us might get away.”

“All set?” asked Roger.

“Ready,” nodded Astro.

“Let’s go.”

The three boys separated, and a moment later, when his unit mates were in position, Tom stood up and walked across the clearing, exposing himself to the house. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Astro and Roger moving in on the left and right. Billy was working in the front yard with his father, mixing chemicals. Jane was standing by the doorway of the house digging in a bed of flowers. Tom continued to walk right through the front yard and was only ten feet away from Billy before the youngster looked up.

“Tom!”

Logan turned and saw the cadet walking toward him. He stared. After a night scrambling around the hills, Tom looked as if he had been shoveling coal.

“Hello, Mr. Logan,” said Tom, looking around. “Are you alone?”

“Yes,” Logan replied. “Where are the other boys?”

“They’re coming,” said Tom, waving his arm toward his friends.

Astro and Roger rose from their places of concealment and darted forward.

“Get in the house, quick!” ordered Logan. “Vidac and his flunky Winters were out here last night and--” He didn’t finish. The unmistakable roar of a jet car approaching rapidly was heard. The cadets raced for the house, following Jane into the farmer’s bedroom, where they hid in a closet. Jane returned to the front of the house and stood with her father and Billy to watch the cloud of dust kicked up by the jet car as it raced along the dirt road toward them.

“If it’s them space crawlers again,” said Logan to his children, “let me do the talking.”

“Who else could it be?” asked Jane.

“I don’t know,” said Logan. “But remember, if it is Vidac, we might be the only thing between those three boys inside and a long term on a prison rock!”

The jet car entered the cleared area in front of the house and stopped in a cloud of dust. Logan, grim-faced, followed by Billy and Jane walked across the yard to the car and waited. The door opened and a man in the uniform of an enlisted spaceman climbed out.

“Jeff Marshall!” yelled Billy.

“Hello, Mr. Logan, Jane, Billy.” Jeff noticed the sudden look of relief that passed over Logan’s face. “Is there something wrong?”

“Not a thing, Jeff,” said Logan. “Come on in the house. We’ve got a surprise for you.”

“Thank you, sir,” said Jeff. “But I’m afraid I’m not in the mood for surprises. The cadets have escaped and the whole countryside is crawling with Vidac’s men looking for them. There’s a reward of a thousand credits for their capture--dead or alive!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close