Arkadia - Cover

Arkadia

Copyright© 2020 by SunSeeker

Chapter 5

Wednesday and Thursday passed without any drama. I did start going over the material on my PG though. Man talk about some major firepower! And a Guardian Defense Fleet PG has even more! Just one of the BCs would tip the balance of power if an Earth government got hold of it. I’d have to talk with Sam and Ryker and make sure that could never happen unless I decided it would.

Sam continued to copy data from their data crystals, always complaining about slow transfer speeds.

Friday morning I took the suit I wanted to wear on Saturday to my cleaners and they said to come back at 4 pm and pick it up.

Sam contacted Ryker Friday morning for me and tells him that as soon as the OWP’s were in place and the BCs were finished to send my PG. Ryker let her know all platforms would be in position within 7 hours. He says the BCs are on schedule and he would contact her as soon as the PG was sent.

She asks about building the “Cruiseship” and is told that a “Cruiseship”, 1400 m in length x 200 m in width x 280 m in height, would take approximately 6.5 days to build and configure.

In an “Economy Plus” type seating layout there would be room for 255,000 passengers and 32 kilotonnes of cargo. Seating arrangements allowing for fewer passengers would allow for increased cargo capacity. She gives him the go-ahead to start building the Cruiseship.

I had been thinking about the Guardian Defense Fleet PG’s and asked if there were enough Furst willing to man 5 complete PG’s for now until I could get them some human help.

Ryker responds after a moment that there are more than enough and asks when should he start building the PGs. I tell him to start building the PGs now, but to only build 1 PG at a time and as each ship was completed it was to join the 2 BCs patrolling the systems. Once all 5 were completed I wanted him to make sure there was a complete PG in each of the Guardian systems, 1 on “leave” for 30 days, and 1 could hunt down Swarm for the time being.

The PGs would rotate through being on “leave” to give the crews a rest. Ryker said the Furst crew wouldn’t need any rest so I could use them to hunt Swarm as well if I wanted to. I told him ok we might do that then and thanks for letting me know the Furst crews wouldn’t need an R&R period.

“Sam, could you come here for a minute?”

“Sure DD what can I do for you?”

“I want to talk about my parents’ Service tomorrow. I hope you won’t be offended, Sam. I’d like you to come but I don’t think it would be a good idea to come in this form. I know someone would try to shake your hand or give you an air kiss and it would create a scene we don’t want yet. Will you come in your energy form and stay by my side?”

“I am not offended and do understand DD. I didn’t know if you would want me to come with you tomorrow though I most certainly want to go and support you. I too thought that I couldn’t go in this form though. I will come in my energy form and stick with you as long as you want me to.”

“Excellent Sam, thank you. It means a lot to me.”

I’m hungry but don’t want to cook or order anything so I grab the Mongolian grill and pepperoni pizza leftovers and nuke them in the microwave. Leftover pepperoni pizza is always good, leftover Mongolian grill ... not so much.

It’s only 9 pm and I feel worn out already. I decide to hit the sack early and tell Sam not to surf the net all night.

Bzzt bzzt bzzt,,,, bzzt bzzt bzzt,,,, bzzt bzzt bzzt,,,,

Ufff, that time already. I think my body knows today is my parent’s funeral even if my mind hasn’t figured it out yet. I walk out to the kitchen to grab a coffee and don’t see Sam anywhere. She’s been staying in her female form all the time and I’m surprised not to see her.

“Good morning Sam, are you here?”

Sam appears beside me making me jump, “Good morning DD, of course I’m here. You’re not rid of me yet. How are you doing this morning?

“I have no desire to get rid of you Sam. I’m doing ok. I just want to get through today and put my parents to rest. I wish they were here to see everything that’s happening now Sam.”

“I believe they would love what you have accomplished so far DD, and what you plan to do for the future as well.”

“Thanks, Sam. I hope I can make them proud.”

“They already are DD, they already are proud of you.”

I head off to the shower for the daily routine then get into my suit and grab a coffee and some cereal. The bowl and coffee cup are put into the sink after I’m done with them and we leave for the funeral home.

I want to arrive by 8 am when they open so we can go over and fix anything if need be. The funeral director is just opening the door when we pull in so he waits for us to park and meets us at the door.

“Good morning sir. If you are here for the Sanderson service you are a little early. It doesn’t start until 10 am.”

“Good morning, I am DeDeus, John and Janine’s son. I wanted to get here early enough in case there were any last-minute difficulties.”

“Ah, I am sorry for your loss Mr. Sanderson. I am Mr. Johnson, the Director and owner of Johnson’s Funeral Home.”

“Thank you, Mr. Johnson. Please call me DeDeus, I look for my Dad when I hear “Mr. Sanderson”. Is everything in order? Do you need anything else?”

“Everything is fine DeDeus, nothing else is needed. Your parents left very good instructions with Diane and we have followed them to a T. Can I get you a coffee or tea until your guests start arriving?”

“No coffee or tea for me thanks. Where will people be entering from and when can I expect them to start arriving?”

“The public doors are over this way if you’ll follow me. Most attendees at funeral services start to arrive 30 minutes or so before the Service starts.”

“Thank you, Mr. Johnson. Do you mind if I have a look at the area everyone will be seated in and where my parents’ urn is located?”

“Not at all, the Service area is through these doors which will be opened at 9 am. The dais with your parents’ urn is at the front right next to the podium. I understand you are going to say a few words, and that others may also if they wish to?”

“Yes sir, that is true. I am going to keep it short though. Mom and Dad wouldn’t want a long affair. They’d prefer short and sweet then return to living your life.”

“Ok DeDeus. I have a few things to do and will come find you around 9:45 to get ready to start the service if that is ok for you?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close