Arkadia - Cover

Arkadia

Copyright© 2020 by SunSeeker

Chapter 18

The exams on Tuesday and Wednesday were sort of anti-climactic. I believe I did fairly well on them and would find out in 2 weeks or less when grades are supposed to be available.

“Ok Sam, let’s go over how things look at the moment. First, how are we doing as far as “matter” for replicator use? Will we have enough for everything that is about to happen?”

“With the 2 recycler ships working on that island of garbage, almost every Recycled Matter Storage Container we have is full and we probably need to have a few hundred more replicated if you still plan on recycling landfills. We have more than enough at the moment to cover current plans.”

“Ok great. Yes I still plan on seeing about recycling landfills in the future, so if we need more of the containers please have more made now. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Also, check with Ryker and see if he needs any. I want him to continue making the ships for PG’s for the same reasoning I just mentioned for the storage containers.

Can you think of anything else that needs our attention or that we should get started on right now?”

“Nothing is pressing at the moment, though you should talk to Larry soon and see if he wants to signup. He is a smart guy and I think he would be a great help getting people for Arkadia.”

“That’s right he studied Political Science, didn’t he? But isn’t he easily manipulated? That would be something we’d need to keep an eye on. Have a look at his grades and what his professors had to say about him. I wonder if he’d be interested in being the first Mayor of Guardian City? Our grades should be available sometime within the next week or 2. See if you can set up a meeting with him for as soon as you’ve got the information.”

“Will do DD. Any plans for tomorrow?”

“None I can think of why?”

“Some of the girls and I would like you to go with us to that “Theater in the Park” place again. There is supposed to be a rock and roll band there tomorrow starting at noon.”

“Ok sure, why not. I will warn you though that the band might not be very good.”

“Some of the girls went and heard them playing in a garage and said they sounded ok. Not like professionals sound but it sounded like they knew what they were doing.”

“Oye, a garage band. What the hell, let’s go and give it a try.”

We arrived at the park about 15 minutes before the band was supposed to start and could see they were doing some adjustments and sound checks. We sat on the grass and were just chatting while waiting for the band to start when people started coming over and asking if I was that Guardian Prime guy for Arkadia.

I said I was and they started asking questions about Arkadia and living there. I answered what I could and noticed there was quite a crowd around us and that the band looked to be waiting to start. I asked everyone if we could stop the Q&A until after the band finished playing. Many nodded and everyone started looking for a place to sit.

The girl on stage I took as the lead singer, spoke into the mic thanking me for breaking up my press conference, and said I was welcome to come on stage, and use their sound equipment after they were done. I just waved my hand indicating I hear her and as a thank you.

Surprisingly the band was pretty good playing mostly classic rock and roll tunes and the more commercial heavy metal tunes. The girls really enjoyed the music and I have to say that I did too. The 2 hours they were supposed to play for flew by and the next thing I knew they were saying that their show was over and would I come up to the stage.

We made our way to the stage and the girl introduced herself as Maxine and pointed the mic at each of us in turn so we could introduce ourselves. I had to laugh at Maxine’s’ face when the girls said their names. She wouldn’t believe them!

“Well DeDeus, we all know you have been a busy guy what with finding a planet, fighting the Swarm, zapping that reporter guy, and vacationing with babes on Arkadia, so what is next?”

“Maxine, why do you remind me of a reporter? I had my exams Tuesday and Wednesday like every other student at the University, and now we’re looking at our summer schedule as we have some visits to make in July and August.”

“Seriously? I thought you being a University student was a joke. When did you slow down and find time to study?”

“We slow down when we can. Today for example. Today is our slow day. We’re just getting started so there is a lot to do.”

“Ok, I’m done with my interview hahaha. Can you keep the Q&A session to an hour or less? We need to pack and get home sometime today.”

“Let’s ask the crowd. Can we pack things up in an hour? We can? Ok Maxine, no more questions after an hour.”

A lot of the questions were in a similar vein, what could they do on Arkadia? What would things cost? How much would a job pay? Etc.

I pointed out that a lot of what they asked would depend on their skills and experience, what they wanted to study, and that on the website there was a breakdown of some wage brackets for different skills, as well as prices for housing, both renting and buying. I reminded them that these were all “projected” and we couldn’t be certain until we were there and settled.

A girl asked why she would go back to being considered a kid if she went to Arkadia when she was an adult on Earth?

“How old are you now?”

“What does that matter?”

“I’d like to know if you were 14 before the Confederacy arrived.”

“I have just turned 17.”

“Ok then, before the Confederacy arrived did you think of yourself as an adult or as a teenager?”

“I thought of myself as a teenager, but it’s different now. I’m an adult.”

“At 17 you are on the cusp of being an adult by pre Confederacy standards. Do you think you know more now at 17 than you did at 14?”

“Of course I do. Back then the hardest thing to decide was what to wear to school. Now I’m trying to support myself and my 14-year-old sister.”

“Is that your sister beside you? It seems you have a lot of responsibility now even for a 17-year-old, but it appears by looking at the two of you, that you are able to handle it.”

“We are doing ok but it is tough. We’re supposed to look for people with the magical 6.5 score to take us away but we don’t want to be slaves or whores. We saw one pickup and both of us could not do what the other girls were doing. We would have been able to go with our parents but we weren’t with them when they got picked up, and couldn’t have gone anyways except as their slaves or whores.”

“Ok look, it’s my opinion that the Confederacy decided that 14-year-olds would be considered adults because that is the age when humans can start producing children. Yes, it can happen earlier but for the most part by the time we’re 14, we humans can reproduce. I believe they didn’t consider 14-year-olds to be adults because they were knowledgeable or had a lot of experience, but because they could be soldiers and could make babies.”

Another girl says, “I’m 20 and there are a whole bunch of people where I live that are between 14 and 18 years old. Both guys and girls. I’m pretty sure everyone is below the 6.5 score. Some were put in the government “housing” after their parents were extracted, but some of the people running the places expect them to fuck them to continue staying there. They don’t want to be “conks” or sex slaves to anyone but they are without anyone or any means to support themselves. What will happen to them if they want to go to Arkadia?”

The first girl says, “Yeah that is what my sister and I would like to know too. What will happen to us?”

“Ok, the first thing you will need to do if you haven’t already is to take the “Enhanced” CAP test. Everyone 14 and older has to take it before being considered for immigration to Arkadia. You have to take it because here on Earth you are considered an adult.

Now, persons 14-18 years old are considered adults on Earth and therefore can choose to go to Arkadia. If they choose to go to Arkadia they will be considered adolescents and will be placed with a family or in the Guardian Orphanage where they will be provided free of charge until their 18th birthday, services such as housing, food, clothing, education & social opportunities such as sports, field trips, etc. You can look at and see the Guardian Orphanage in Guardian City on the Arkadia website. That is what will happen once we get to Arkadia.

While we are still here on Earth I’d have to make arrangements for some type of housing while someone looked into how many persons we’d be looking at.

You there, the 20-year-old girl. What is your name and have you taken the Enhanced CAP test yet?”

“My name is Sara Reynolds and yes I have taken the test. I have my Arkadia card here with me.

“DD, her Arkadia CAP is 6.4 with high sub-scores in compassion and caring for others, especially those that are younger than her, but lower scores in traits required for a good soldier. She would probably do well running the Guardian Orphanage in Guardian City.”

I give Sara her card back and ask her, “Sara would you be interested in running an Arkadian “Orphanage” while here on Earth for boys and girls 14-18 years old? Maybe the 17-year-old and her sister would like to help? Sorry girls but I don’t know your names or if you’ve taken the “Enhanced” CAP test.”

“I’m Sandy and my little sister is Mandy. We’ve both taken that test and have our cards with us. Sara if you take the job offer I will help you. Both of us will. We need a safer place to live too.”

“I’ll take the job offer, Sir. When can I start?”

“First no more calling me Sir. I’m only a few years older than you. Call me DD. Why don’t the three of you meet with Sam over there and she can get some information from you and we can let Maxine and her band get going.

Everyone, thank you for your questions and if you have any others please check out the website and post them there if you can’t find an answer. Someone will answer them as quickly as possible. Sorry about going longer than an hour, Maxine.”

“Shit DeDeus, you were helping those girls and who knows how many others. I wasn’t about to cut that off.”

“Still thank you and my thanks to your band.”

“DeDeus! DeDeus!”

I turn to see a young guy waving his hand in the air, “Yes, what can I do for you?”

“How can I help with the Arkadia house here and the Guardian Orphanage? I’ve taken the “Enhanced” test and have both cards with me as well.”

“Go over and give your information to Sam, then talk to her and Sara about how you can help.”

“Cool thanks.”

I look over and see Sam with a lot of people around listening to what she is saying about the Orphanage, about Arkadia, and about me. I walk over and they all seem pleased with what they were told. No angry faces in the crowd and no one yelling.

“DD, I have all their information and Sara says that Sandy and Mandy can stay with her while we look for proper housing here on Earth. This gentleman here is Bob and he is going to help them with anything that needs to be done.

Sandy has seen the Guardian Orphanage on the website but didn’t relate it to their situation here because it’s called an Orphanage and they don’t consider themselves “orphans”. She has some ideas on how to get that message across better and the web Furst will have an example for you to look at and approve once we are back on the J&J.”

“Very good Sam. We’ll start looking for housing tomorrow and we should make the same offer to 14-18-year-olds worldwide. Sara, what do you think of helping worldwide instead of just here? And if all goes well you’d get first chance at running the Orphanage in Guardian City as well.”

“You would want me to run it? Here and in Guardian City? I’d love to, but do you think I could do it?”

“Yes, yes, and yes. So start thinking about what you need to get started. Check the website and make sure that those who need this can understand what we are trying to do. Make sure they know the rules and know that they won’t be adults. And that they will have to go to school. Sam knows how to contact you so she’ll call tomorrow and see about getting you started. Now I am hungry and need food. Who else wants to eat? My treat!”

I guess I should have waited until most of the crowd had left before saying that. Hahaha. Oh well. There were only about 15 of us that hit the pizza place a few blocks away and I had to reassure the manager that I could pay for everything we ordered. In the end, we all had a good time and only Sara, Sandy and Mandy noticed that Sam and the girls didn’t eat or drink anything.

“Good morning DD, did you sleep well?”

“Good morning Sam, yes I did as a matter of fact, very well. How about you? How is Sam today?”

“I am great DD. The Shield Commanders have nothing to report, everything seems to be quiet in the news, there aren’t any major snags happening yet, so far everything is good. Let’s hope it stays that way.”

“Yes indeed Sam. What is on the agenda for today?”

“I am going to contact Larry this morning and see when he is available to meet with you. His grades and comments from his professors are good and he would make a good candidate for Guardian City’s first Mayor.

We also need to go through more of the “Enhanced” results and identify more people for migration to Arkadia. I have some Furst sifting through the results first, and then we can take a look.”

“Ok Sam, let me know when you set up a meeting with Larry. Are there any other good candidates for Mayor from the test results? And we’ll start going through those right after breakfast.”

“There are a few people with political backgrounds but they already have their own ideas as to how government should run and would be near impossible for them to not try and implement them. Larry is a blank slate right now and should be the best bet to run Guardian City the way you want it ran. We can have a Furst watch over him for a while and see how he does.”

Man, I couldn’t believe the number of people who’s CAP score was still under 6.5, even after taking the “Enhanced” test. I started reading deeper down and some of the subscores were scary. Some people had no empathy for others at all. We did identify a lot of people we’d like to see in Arkadia as well as many who would be on the “no way Jose” list. No way would I want them on Arkadia!

Sam asks if I still wanted to find a building here for orphans.

“Yes, I do. See if an empty apartment building or hotel can be bought. Nothing extravagant but big enough for our needs. Say in the neighborhood of housing around 2400 persons, 4 persons to a room with each person having a bed, desk, chair, and locker or closet for clothes. What do you think?”

“Sounds good, it’s probably more than necessary but better to be safe than sorry. Plus this way we shouldn’t have to turn anyone away. If needed we can have our Androids do any repairs or construction and furnishings and other items we need for them would be made by our replicators to keep our expenses down.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close