A True History Book Two - Cover

A True History Book Two

Copyright© 2020 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 5

After we handed out just over 6,000 of the coins, I got back with everyone to see what else, if anything, we needed to do.

It turned out that the members of the media were doing some in depth interviews with the people from Siemens, Microsoft, Cisco, and learning about Ice-X, while we were handing coins out. Before I got roped into any of them, SJ found me. Gunny Patterson and Ramona were both with him.

“Hey, Cal. Unfortunately, all good things have to come to an end. The Gunny is going to take me to catch my flight back to Germany. I have to get my cast off, and ... I’m going to start my paperwork to take my discharge from active duty. I’ll stay in the reserves for two more years, maybe twenty more years, but ... I’m going to get out. For sure, now.” I noticed that his one free hand was being held by both of Ramona’s hands.

“You know that whatever you decide to do is fine with me. Did you get a chance to show the Gunny your Hollywood souvenir?”

“No, but that’s just one minor detail. He will get to see it, because I want to drop it off with your security folks. I really don’t feel comfortable with it sitting in the house without anyone there, for the two or three weeks it’ll take me to finish things up in Germany.”

“That’s fine. It’ll be safe with us. You going to live in your house when you get back?”

“With everyone else out, yeah. It’s paid for, even if that’s not what you intended. I ... I have to thank you, for everything you’ve done for us. I know your comment. We’re family. Well, I’ve seen some crappy families in this area. So ... thank you again.”

“Not a problem, my brother. Gunny, you going to take care of him for us?”

He laughed. “I wouldn’t dare do otherwise. Hell, you know I’ve got more than twenty in. I’m giving serious thought to seeing about coming up here and getting a job working for you. You hiring any old jarheads?”

“I’ll leave that up to the HR departments of the companies. Of course, I might be able to give you a bit of a reference, if you need one.” I grinned, then shook his hand. He and SJ walked out, with Ramona walking with them.

Unfortunately, that meant I was now free for the media.

Several of them approached me at the same time. There were a couple of TV reporters that I recognized from the Wichita stations, as well as two from Kansas City stations. In addition, Wayne Lee from the Hutchinson paper was walking up with someone I didn’t recognize. I held a hand up before they could start in on anything.

“I’m going to take a seat, have something to drink, and then we’ll have a little talk. Your total, for all of you, is no more than one hour. At the end of that hour, we’re done. If I don’t or can’t answer a question, I’ll tell you why, too. Can you all handle those rules?”

They quickly agreed. I went over to a table, pulling out a chair and sitting down. Beth brought over a couple of cans of pop for me. I thanked her, then turned to the reporters. “Since I would presume this isn’t going out live ... it’s not, right?”

“We’re all recording for the news later tonight,” the reporter from KAKE said.

“Good. I didn’t figure things were this slow around the state to show this whole thing live anyway, even the parts that surprised me. Um, since he’s local, let’s start with Wayne. I know he’s wanted to talk with me for a few days, now.”

“That’s putting it mildly. Thank you. Mister Lewis ... you’ve brought about a lot of changes to this town, county, and state, and with what we’re seeing today, to our whole country and maybe even to the world. You’re 16 years old. Where do you come from, that you’re so smart, and were already wealthy before you moved here?”

“The snarky answer to that is my mother and father. I certainly don’t think I was found under a cabbage leaf. That I’m smart ... wealthy ... well, I hate to have to invoke one of my rules, but I have to, right off the bat. I can’t tell you.” I held up my hand, before he could protest. “Wayne, you’re from here. You tell me what you’ve heard about me, and I’ll tell you what’s truth ... as much as I can ... and what’s not.”

He huffed. “Fine, if you want to be that way. Your father was a rocket scientist. You mother was a biologist. You were home schooled by them, at some kind of government facility filled with all sorts of top scientists. There was an accident of some kind; your parents were killed. Your father had used our satellites to spy on other countries. He used the same technology to find buried treasures that were long thought to be lost.” He stopped, then nodded at me.

“Well, I think you all just saw proof of that, earlier. Especially since I happened to confirm exactly that. As far as the rest of your comment regarding my history, that’s pretty much all that anyone who doesn’t have the clearance to know, can actually know. The good news from my perspective is that Judge Bannister does have that clearance. That’s how I was able to track down a distant cousin and move here.”

He frowned. “Nothing against Elroy, but he was a Staff Sergeant in World War II. How can he possibly have any clearances regarding something like this? Don’t get me wrong, he’s the power in this part of the state, and I’m sure you got a lot of your connections through him. But ... military secrets? Come on.”

I looked at Elroy, who was standing nearby. “Do you want to tell him, or should I?”

“Wayne, you know you’ve been a pain in my ass for a long time. Go ahead, Cal. I want to sit back and watch his head explode.”

I smiled. “Mister Lee, it’s really quite simple. I’m surprised that a reporter that was any kind of investigative journalist at all wouldn’t know everything possible about the people that live in his town, especially the ones with the power and connections. It’s rather apparent that you don’t, though. Ladies and ... Hey, Leonard, come over here. Before I totally blow Elroy’s cover, don’t tell them what you did, but how did you get to know Elroy?”

“Why do I feel like I’m being set up? It’s simple. Elroy was one of my law instructors. We’d end up at the beaches in Florida when we had free time, and they’d come down and socialize with us.”

I had a huge grin on my face. “That was when you were training with the Judge Advocate General, right?”

“Yeah. Came home from Korea, used the GI Bill to pay for college and get my law degree, was still in the reserves, and let them send me to JAG school. We got some free vacations, is what we considered them, training at different posts around the country.”

“Just curious, Leonard. What rank did you have when you finally got out?”

“Actually, I’m still in the Reserves. One nice thing about being a lawyer, I don’t have to pass the PT test any more. I’m a Lieutenant Colonel.”

“Thank you. Now I understand a bit more about Marcia’s licenses. Oh, sorry about that, Wayne, but you were asking about my history, and then I got off on a tangent. As for how Elroy could have clearances, it’s quite simple, really. He did something similar to what Leonard did. Stayed in the Army Reserves, went to law school, graduated, and then continued to serve his country while also serving Reno County. Leonard, at least you and Elroy have part of your rank the same.” He looked at me, then at Elroy, a look of shock on his face as he realized what that meant.

“Colonel?”

“No, the first part, Lieutenant. Except he’s not a retired Lieutenant Colonel. As I started to say before, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Lieutenant General Elroy T. Bannister, United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps.”

That little bombshell did what I’d hoped it’d do. Deflect nearly all of the media coverage from me to Elroy, as they swarmed him. The key word in that was nearly.

“Mister Lewis, that was deftly done. I’m actually glad they’re all over there. Due to your age, until you had a press conference like this, I couldn’t approach you otherwise. Oh, I apologize. I’m Samuel Weatherstone, from the...”

I interrupted him. “Wall Street Journal, leading technology writer for the last 6 years. I was wondering if someone would show up other than local media.”

Samuel was about 40 years old, dark hair, about an inch taller than me, with wire frame glasses. He looked like the picture of him I’d seen in the paper, actually, so I didn’t think there’d be an issue. He smiled at me.

“I admit I took a chance on coming out here. To be perfectly honest, you’re right; this is considered flyover country. But when I get told that Siemens is doing something out here at the same time that Leon Hess is, and I heard that not only are the Koch brothers involved, but so is Microsoft? I told my editor that I was coming here. He was a bit skeptical, but his words were, “No one takes a vacation to Kansas in November. So, I know you’re not trying to scam me. Go see what’s up.”

“I’m actually amused that none of my competition is here today. That comment from earlier, about how important this town will be, is exactly spot on.”

“Explain something to me. I didn’t realize my age had a lot to do with interviews.”

He nodded. “You’re still a minor. Normally, we’d contact your parents about setting up an interview, and get their permission. Since your parents are deceased, we’d have to contact your guardian. That information is restricted. That’s what I mean, about taking a chance. If you hadn’t had a public conference like this, I couldn’t approach you. Not without letting myself open to a lawsuit, anyway.”

“Walk with me, Samuel. I prefer ... actually, I require ... that you not actually tape record things, including the conversations that I’m about to have. However, you’re a reporter; I’m sure you have a notepad or two on you.”

He smiled, pulling out the tape recorder he had in his pocket and turning it off. I held my hand out, causing him to smile broader, and he handed it to me. I reached behind me, handing it to Beth, who was nearby. I checked him quickly. He didn’t have another one. Then he pulled out a college composition book, not a regular notebook, and pen.

I first walked over to the Siemens people. “Herr Kaske, I thank you for coming today. I was not expecting to find the President of Siemens AG here today. I am honored that you came here for this little ceremony.”

My phrasing caused he, and the others that spoke German, to laugh. “You have a fine sense of irony, my young friend. Little ceremony, indeed. I note that in our agreement with you, that you did not require us to build all of the magnetic bearings that we will use in all of our products here, simply the wind turbines themselves.”

“I’m realistic. Siemens will need ... at least three production facilities simply to keep up with the demand for magnetic bearings. After all, I am the patent holder for them. This factory here will be enough. That’s also why we’re not making the blades here as well. There is no need. Siemens AG is now at least ten years ahead of any competition. It’s not like I plan on hoarding my profits. I saw Corinna translating for you what I plan to do with the initial funds you’re paying us. I see no reason to not continue to do things like that with the rest.”

In English, Kaske said, “You are changing the world, young man. I am proud that we are associated with you and your partners.” He took me in a hug, his eyes shining. Once we broke apart, I shook hands with the rest of their team, then headed to another table.

Samuel had been taking notes. “Multi-lingual. How many languages do you speak?”

“A few. If you haven’t already found out, I was a child prodigy. The problem was that we were rather isolated. I was surrounded by some of the smartest people in the world. In a situation like that, I could have gone one of two ways, either totally rebellious, or diving into studying anything and everything. I think you can figure out which choice I made. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that I effectively have a perfect memory, and I’m basically a page at a glance reader.”

“I ... didn’t think that was possible.”

We’d walked up on Bill, sitting talking with Sandy and Len. Bill had heard the last part of my comment. “Don’t worry, Sam. Neither did I. Then Cal proved it to me. As a matter of fact ... Cal, did you read yesterday’s Wall Street Journal?”

“Of course.”

Bill smiled, opening up his jacket. “I happen to have a copy of yesterday’s paper here, mostly because I was working on the Crossword puzzle and forgot it was in my jacket. I happen to need a little help on one of the answers. 35 across.”

“Nice try, Bill. There is no 35 across in yesterday’s paper. The clue for 35 down, ‘Hardy’s wreath’, is Laurel, a reference to Laurel and Hardy.”

Bill opened the paper to the crossword puzzle, showing it to Sandy, Len, and Samuel. “My mistake. What is that, four times I’ve tried to trip you up?”

“Five, but that’s okay. I’m certain that once I’m as old as you are, I’ll forget something. Actually, I did screw up on Ice-X, when I told you it was good to sixty below zero. It’s good to ten above absolute zero. I don’t know if I’ve messed up my Dad’s formula a little or what. Either way, it pretty much means we’ve orders for hundreds of thousands of gallons of it.”

Sandy smiled, holding Len’s hand. “Of course you do. I’m not in the least bit surprised. Len and I ... I don’t think we can thank you enough for believing in us, for giving us the chance to be a part of your family.”

“It’s all good, Sandy. Oh, and just so you know, Bill, I’m still working on finding you a girlfriend. I just found someone for SJ, and I think it’ll work out with him.”

He laughed. “Don’t worry too much about it. I’m sure I’ll find someone eventually. I saw that you’ve added another young lady in your group.”

I turned to Samuel. “For now, any discussions regarding my girlfriends are completely and totally NOT for dissemination whatsoever.” He nodded, seeing how cold my eyes were. “Thank you. In response to your comment, Bill ... yeah. Wasn’t planned, just happened. Not regretting it, either, he said, changing the subject. I haven’t had much time to come up with new toys for either of your groups lately.”

“I’m not too worried about it. You’re only a few hours away by jet. And thank you for sending your private jet to get us, that was ... unexpected.”

“Which one? Samuel, you CAN say this. We have three right now; two Gulfstreams, for transportation across the country, and a larger, 737-200, for when more people want to travel, or we need to cross an ocean in one hop.”

“Good grief. I thought you ... CEDEM ... was a financial group, not jet setters.”

I laughed at Samuel’s description. Margie came over. “Hello, I’m Margaret Miller, the CFO of CEDEM Financial. Allow me to quote our marketing phrase. Just as the sedum plant is good for any garden, so is CEDEM Financial good for your financial needs, whether large or small.”

Samuel did a double take at both Margie’s looks, and then her comment. Her eyes twinkling, Margie then said, “Before you ask, I’m 25, I have bachelor’s degrees in mathematics and sociology, and an MBA from the Wharton School of Business. I’m also one of Cal’s ladies.”

“Samuel Weatherstone, from the Wall Street Journal. I like that marketing phrase. But how much and how spread out are you going to be? To bring all of this together, with all of the factory plans that I saw today, must’ve cost a tremendous amount. How heavily leveraged are you?”

She smiled. “We’re not. CEDEM owns all of the ground already, eight sections. Or if you prefer, eight square miles. We purchased that outright, from funds already available. Then we’re paying for the construction of all of the buildings on the properties themselves, and we will lease those to the companies, with payoff planned for standard amortization. The only thing we’ll effectively directly own is the Ice-X facility, as that patent is wholly owned by us, even though we’re partnering with Charles and David Koch to get the equipment installed and running quickly. The net result is that they’ll own 10% of it, while we own 10% of Siemens AG, 20% of Microsoft, and 30% of Cisco.”

He frowned. “Pardon me, Mister Gates, but I was under the impression you weren’t going to sell any more of Microsoft than the 5% you already had. What made you change your mind?”

Bill smiled. “That was my impression as well. Samuel, you deal with businesses. The way things normally work is that someone creates something that a business already in the market can sell, and either goes into competition with them, or offers to sell it to them, right? Cal came in to me with something, and offered to give me money to take it from him, so that we could market it effectively. Yes, he wanted something in exchange for that money, which totaled 20% of Microsoft’s worth. That was ownership of 20% of the company and the right to purchase that amount of public stock when we have our IPO. Thing is ... and you can publish this ... we anticipate gross revenue for the next five years in excess of $30 Billion, from that single product. Prior to meeting him, we were projecting gross revenue for the next five years of $420 million.”

Len and Sandy were both nodding. Len said, “We had an idea. A great idea. And we were going to stretch ourselves and do things using money borrowed on credit cards. I’m sure it would have worked, but ... the personal cost to both of us would have been horrendous. Instead, Cal comes along with an offer to fund us, in exchange for 30% ownership, in an amount that guarantees our success. We’ve got chips designed with Intel, we’ve got a basic, introductory production facility about ready to go, and we’ll be able to network computers around the world. We’re working with Motorola regarding their use of coaxial cable, and also with fiber optic companies now, to make sure they can keep up with what we can do, and what we’ll be able to do within a couple of years.”

Samuel asked, “Such as?”

“I don’t know how many reporters you have around the world, but let’s say you have 500 of them, in 50 different cities around the world. Each one of them has a computer that they use to type their stories, using a program from Microsoft. Each of those computers has inside of it a NIC ... a network interface card ... that came from Cisco, allowing it to access a network. That network, using fiber, coaxial cable, and regular twisted pair, has connections to all the other computers in that network. You’re in New York, and you need some information from someone in Australia. There’s another program from Microsoft that allows you in New York to type in a message to the reporter in Australia. If he’s at his computer, he’ll get it within a few seconds, and can then respond back to you. Effectively instantly.”

“We’re not going to make the actual highway; that’s going to be Motorola and the fiber companies. We’re going to make all of the exits and interchanges FOR the highway, and all of the feeder roads that lead to it. Keep in mind that’s just your paper. Once things get set up, similar to DARPANET, every computer in the world will be connected to every other computer in the world. And when you’re talking 500 million computers just for consumer use around the world ... with our hardware in them ... yeah, having Cal fund us properly so we’re in this position now is the best decision that the two of us have ever made in our lives. And I mean that, even more than our decision to get married.”

Sandy nodded, holding Len’s hand. “I completely agree. Don’t get me wrong. I love my husband, now more than ever. But I’ve had enough time to see how things would have gone. I’d have never gotten pregnant, and we’d probably be divorced within 10 years. Now? Not going to happen. We’re partners in this, and I thank God every day that Cal and Margie contacted us. Huh. Thanking God. That’s something else I never would have done. I was a dyed in the wool California liberal. Not anymore. It’s funny, but as much as I like California ... this flyover county is really growing on me. I think I’d like my kids to grow up to be Salthawks.”

Len looked at his wife in amazement. “That’s ... good, honey. Wow. I think we’ll probably be able to afford a place here, and keep our place in California, too, but ... wow. I remember when we visited my home, your opinion.”

“Yes, well, I am a woman, and we’re entitled to change our minds, right?”

Margie laughed. “Of course we are. Thanks for helping. Samuel, would you like a bit more of an exclusive, for your interview?”

“Of course.”

I gave Sandy a hug, then shook hands with Len and Bill. Bill made one last comment. “I’ll keep you in the loop. We’re starting our Microsoft branded hardware, and some of the guys are thinking we can maybe make not just computer games, but our own video game console in the next couple of years, using compact discs.”

“That’s a logical thing. Pay close attention to the graphics chip market; see if they need some help and let us know.” He nodded, then went back to talking to Len and Sandy.

I let Margie lead the three of us out to the vehicles. Chuck and Angela had followed us. “Chuck, would you drive us home? We’re going to take Cal’s truck from there.”

“Certainly, ma’am.” He winked at her when Samuel wasn’t looking.

“So, you also own those two large buses? And this one? What about the other ones we were on?”

“Those are the family buses, for going to my games, and if we’re just going to make a small trip somewhere. Collins Bus has their facility located here in Hutchinson. When we were in Seattle, we saw that Microsoft was using something similar, to bring their employees to and from the airport. Sort of like the buses that hotels use. We decided that we will have a need for several of them, not just for personal use, but for all the businesses as well. You no doubt saw that there were three armed members of our security forces, watching over the handing out of the gold coin souvenirs. We have more. Security, that is, as well as gold coins.”

“You’re telling me that this coin that I got is real gold? I thought these were just some kind of marketing gimmick.”

“Oh, no. That’s why everyone was very patient. This is a small town. When my cousin had to buy a trailer to haul what I jokingly call scrap metal in to the bank, the word got around really quickly. Just a few tons of it. And here we are, welcome to our humble abode.”

“Hang on. I know this is near where we were this morning. You have chain link fence with barbed wire? Do you live inside a prison?” His eyes widened, seeing two guards with rifles over their shoulders walking the perimeter, along with what looked like a military vehicle of some kind.

“Even better. A triple-wide modular.” I turned to where Samuel was looking. “Um, Chuck, when did we get the armored vehicles? And what are they?”

“They were available to us, through some of the military reductions in equipment. We picked up two M706s and a brand new LAV-25. The Director of Security saw that they were relatively inexpensive, and will provide us a rapid response capability for all of the CEDEM facilities if needed. We obviously hope they’re never needed, but we have them if we do, sir.”

“I understand. The Security Director had mentioned water cannon and such. I suppose it won’t hurt to have ... fully armed ... military vehicles as well.” By phrasing things like I did, I let Chuck know I knew they were playing a role for Samuel.

“No, sir. We want to make certain you and your family are well protected.” Chuck parked in front of our house.

“Be it ever so humble, Samuel.” I led him up the walk and into the house.

“Okay, this isn’t what I was expecting, in the least. This is...” He paused, not wanting to insult me.

“It’s a modular home. Sturdier than a trailer. This is Kansas, after all. Secured to the ground, and there’s really no way you could tell it’s not a stick built house from the outside. If you were going to say modest, then ... well, yes. We’re not ostentatious. We buy our beef and pork from just down the road. We do our grocery shopping in town, just like everyone else. The only difference is, we made sure we have plenty of showers, so there’s not much of a wait in getting ready in the morning or at night. Here’s how you deal with closet space, too. You simply turn unused bedrooms into closets.”

“Now, we go out the back door. Walkway to the garage. Yes, this is the section where I qualify as a mad scientist. Okay, not really. This side is for car parking. This side, right now, is where we’re making the initial quantities of Ice-X. This is also where I built the original turbine, the one that’s up and running by the waste treatment plant you saw. Then over here, this is the relaxing area. It’s a lap pool, so that everyone can stay in shape, even in the winter.”

Margie laughed. “I was starting to get armchair spread, unless I spent time on my exercise bike. This is a better cardio workout, and tones all the muscles. And even though it’s chilly and windy outside, the pool’s heated and the cover will keep rain, snow, and leaves out of it.”

Samuel was impressed. “This is ... nice. I wasn’t expecting a swimming pool that you so obviously use.”

“That’s okay. Hop in my truck. Margie, you mind sitting in the middle?”

“No, because I know if Samuel touches me inappropriately, you’ll either break his hand, arm, or just kill him. It’s not like it’d be the first time.”

“That’s true. Although I haven’t sent anyone to the hospital in more than two weeks.”

Samuel grinned, then he looked at me, at the expression on my face. “You’re not kidding about that in the least, are you?”

“Nope. Last time there were eight of them. I was rushed, a little, so I didn’t kill any of them. Just ended up, if I remember right, with four broken legs, a broken jaw, three concussions, and eight sets of ruptured testicles.”

“Don’t forget two of them, you also destroyed their penises, too, so those had to be surgically removed afterwards,” Margie said.

“Oh, yes. Can’t forget those. As you saw, I have more than one girlfriend. I’m not married to any of them, not until I can marry all of them. Some people in town had an issue with that, and tried to assault some of them, while I was there.” I shook my head. “Bad mistake on their part. I know you’re more interested in the business aspect of things, but I’d bet you’ve seen a bit of coverage of my sports activities.”

“I was at your game last night. That was ... I’d almost say unbelievable, if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. And you’re only a high school junior?”

“Sort of. I’m actually graduating in December. From both high school, and Hutchinson Community College, with a few Associates degrees, too. I’ll start college in January, probably as a junior. I still have a few more tests to take. And no, you don’t get to know where, not yet, sorry.”

He chuckled. “I bet there’ve been a few colleges try to recruit you.”

“All of them. No, seriously, I’ve been contacted by every single Division I college, and most of the rest, wanting me to come play for them. But that’s not that important to me. Football is fun. I plan on playing the two years I’ll need to be in college. After that? I doubt it, unless I play a few years for a pro team, just to say I did it. Which annoys Leon and Lamar to no end, because they both want me to play for them now, and I simply can’t, due to the NFL rules.”

“You’re good enough to play at an NFL level now? Aren’t you a little small?”

“Let’s just say yes to the first, and no to the second, and leave it at that. The reason I brought you down here. This was my first, experimental wind turbine. More or less a proof of concept. I thought it would generate 500 kilowatts of power. Apparently, magnetic bearings are more efficient than even I thought. It’s been generating a steady six-twenty-five continuously. These blades aren’t treated with Ice-X, so they’ll have to take it down before the weather goes bad. I’m just going to donate it to Arc Valley Cooperative.”

“How ... much would it cost for one this size to be made?”

“I know how much I had in it. Siemens will also be making this as a smaller size, for areas that don’t need bigger towers. They’ll probably sell these for around $300,000. We haven’t really discussed that part of this yet. You see the office trailer? That’s our temporary corporate offices. We’ll get a regular office building put in before too long.” I drove on from there. “What’s the question you’re waiting to ask me, Samuel?”

“You were quite serious before, about taking out eight people that attacked you.”

“Of course I am, but that’s not the question.”

“You’re right. Are you sure you’re only sixteen? This sounds almost too incredible.”

I sighed. “Yeah, tell me about it. I used to joke about being an alien from another planet, and then this whole Messenger from Above stuff started, so I’ve had to put a stop to that. I mean, as far as the environment that I was raised in, I may as well have been on another planet. When I say I can’t tell about it, or where it was, or what happened, I mean that, literally. Can’t tell means just that. The minor detail that I survived what killed everyone else and destroyed everything made some people do major investigating. Mostly, it was because I wasn’t there. I mean specifically there. I was still in the vicinity, so I was just out cold for a while. I barely woke up before they found me.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close