Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 1: Not Again!

I woke up several hours later in my cabin. The lights were dim, and everything was quiet, apart from the engines. We’d left Quard Prime two days ago, and we were travelling through hyperspace to the Uv’ek system.

I sat up and turned up the cabin lights.

“Ship, any news?” I asked.

“No news, Captain. Everyone else is asleep,” replied Ship.

I rose from my bed and got a coffee from the food dispenser. Then I dressed in a jumpsuit and left my cabin.

The corridor lights were dim on this level, since Ship was in night mode. We often left our cabin doors open, and Ship kept the lights low to allow sleep.

I took the elevator to the main bridge, but there was nothing happening here. We didn’t keep a watch during transit, because you rarely meet anything in the middle of nowhere. Ship could wake us if needed.

My first location turned out a dud, so I returned to the elevator. I descended to the cargo level, and stepped out of the elevator, facing the botany lab doors. With Mina gone, I knew that room was empty. She’d set up automated systems to look after the plants, and I didn’t want to interfere.

The next door along from the lab was the garden. The garden was a relaxing place. I had a favourite bench there where I’d go to meditate. But I wasn’t in the mood for relaxing. I felt the need to do something.

I wandered along the corridor until I reached another wide door, doubtless one of several cargo bays.

“What’s in here, Ship?”

“Various debris collected from the orbital station that exploded after your departure.”

I thought of the energy absorbing material. It was dangerous and could absorb all your body heat if you touched it.

“Is it safe to enter?” I asked.

“Yes, it’s safe to enter,” replied Ship. “I’ve locked away all the dangerous material.”

I smiled. Ship was careful. Personally, I wouldn’t have collected the debris. I’d later learned they’d brought killer androids aboard Ship. A big mistake!

I opened the door and entered the cargo bay. It was a large space, and despite the insulated containers, the temperature was cooler in here.

I wandered around examining various bits of twisted metal and wreckage.

“Has anyone examined this debris?”

“Other than the androids and the energy absorbing material, no Captain,” replied Ship.

I turned over various pieces.

“Any interesting minerals?”

“Certain alloys, perhaps. I haven’t had time for further study,” said Ship.

Under a larger section, I uncovered a small metal object. It was a container. On it were markings that reminded me of the writings on the obelisks.

“This looks interesting,” I said.

Ship didn’t answer. I picked up the container and carried it over to a nearby crate to use as a table. It wasn’t very heavy.

I studied the container to discover the opening mechanism. Not that elaborate, and soon I had the lid open. Inside was a bracelet, a solid metal band sized to fit an average sized wrist. On the bracelet were more markings, but no obvious buttons.

“Ship, can you scan this?” I asked.

“It scans as a metal bracelet, no sign of harmful elements,” said Ship.

I picked up the bracelet. It didn’t feel cold or hot. I turned it around in my hands.

“Perhaps the ancient race wore it as jewellery,” I said.

It slipped easily over my hand and onto my wrist. I turned my arm to examine it under the lighting in the cargo bay.

“Perhaps Laine will like this,” I said.

Then a bright light surrounded me and the cargo bay faded from view.


A few minutes later, the lights came on in Jem’s cabin.

“Attention, Commodore,” said Ship.

Jem rolled over and slowly awoke.

“Have we arrived already?”

“Negative, Commodore,” replied Ship.

“Is there a distress call?”

“No, Commodore. I have to report an incident. The Captain is missing.”

“Brian’s missing?? But we’re in hyper space! Where could he go?”

“He was in cargo bay four, examining debris from the orbital station. He discovered a bracelet, then he disappeared.”

“Crap! Did you complete an internal search?” asked Jem.

“Confirmed. My sensors cannot locate him. I performed full diagnostics on all of my internal sensors. He is no longer aboard this vessel.”

“Crap!” said Jem. She swung her legs over the side of the bed.

“Wake the others. All hands meeting in the main bridge in half an hour,” ordered Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“And seal that cargo bay off to all personnel, no exceptions.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

Jem stumbled into the en-suite to begin her day. This should be a time for relaxing, not searching for missing crew members!


What seemed like a few minutes later, the bright lights faded. I now stood in a clearing in a forest. Gone was the cargo bay. I was on a planet somewhere.

I couldn’t believe how stupid I was to touch that bracelet. So what if Ship told me it was harmless? I should have been more careful. After only one cup of coffee, I wasn’t thinking straight!

Surveying my surroundings, the trees looked like fir trees, not too densely spaced. The clearing had several stone slabs on the ground, so it wasn’t a natural clearing. Bits of grass grew around the edges. To one side lay a pile of rubble. It suggested a former civilization.

The air felt crisp and cool, and I guessed it was mid-morning local time. I’d need something warmer than my jumpsuit.

While observing the scene before me, a noise from behind made it clear I wasn’t alone in this clearing. I turned to discover several beings behind me. They sat around a campfire at the edge of the clearing.

“Crap!” I said to myself.

I must have just appeared out of thin air in front of them. Never a good idea.

Their startled reaction soon turned to a more defensive one. They grabbed spears and two stood and nocked arrows on bows and pointed them in my direction.

I edged my hands away from my sides to show I had no weapon, but not too quickly to suggest a hostile action. Even if I had an away team uniform on, it wouldn’t protect me from their primitive weapons. I hoped that my posture conveyed to them I wasn’t a threat.

They showed no signs of advanced technology, no suggestion they came from a space-faring race. They looked rather human. At least they had all the same appendages I did. They each wore long robes down past their knees.

I stood motionless. Soon, they spoke to each other, and one being approached with his spear pointed at me.

“Where you come from?” he said.

I wondered how I could respond. They looked to be primitives, and our directives forbid any actions that contaminate them with advanced knowledge.

“Where you come from?” he said again. He pointed his spear close to my face, clearly frustrated with my tardy response.

Then I finally noticed something. I guess because of the lack of coffee that I missed it at first. He spoke to me in Baglogi. It sounded stunted, compared to what I was used to, but I understood him.

“I’m a traveller. I just arrived here,” I said.

My response wasn’t sufficient, and he was getting agitated.

“One moment you not here. Bright light. Now you here,” he said tersely.

I shrugged. Their appearance was primitive, but they spoke Baglogi. I didn’t know what to say.

“You M’goo? You not Traut,” he said.

I shook my head. What the heck was a M’goo?

“I don’t understand what you mean,” I said.

“You come with us. Not safe here,” he said. His words were Baglogi, but they spoke in simple, brief sentences. I wondered what had happened.

I looked around the clearing. There was nothing to gain in arguing with them. They had weapons, and I didn’t. Perhaps they’d take me to someone with more authority who could help.

I shrugged. “I go with you,” I said.


About thirty minutes later, everyone (except Brian, of course) arrived at the main bridge.

Jem stood with her back to the tactical display, facing Laine and Saria.

“Brian’s no longer aboard this vessel. He is once again missing,” said Jem.

“What?? How did that happen?” said Laine, in shock.

“According to Ship, he was examining debris from the orbital station. Something he touched, transported him off this vessel,” said Jem.

“Impressive,” said Saria. “It would take highly advanced technology to transport a being off a vessel, moving through hyperspace.”

“I agree it’s impressive, Lieutenant, and it’s far beyond Baglogi technology. But that’s not the issue. Where’s he gone and how can we get him back?” said Jem.

Laine and Saria stood there in silence. Laine had an expression of concentration.

A moment later, she raised her hand.

“The debris came from the orbital station. It would make sense to assume it’s related to the obelisks,” said Laine.

“Are you suggesting he was transported to an obelisk?” asked Jem.

“It’s worth investigation,” said Laine.

“How do you suggest we proceed?” asked Jem.

“I have a map of the obelisks. We can visit each system until we find him,” she replied.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close