Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 2: Here Be Dragons

This gigantic creature was swooping straight down at us. There was no time to lose.

I stopped and pulled the stun gun and a power cell out of my pocket. Without delay, I plugged in the power cell and sighted the weapon on the creature. Finally, I pulled the trigger.

My good fortune amazed even myself! The weapon fired a stunning blast at the creature.

Then I realized my error.

The creature’s eye’s glazed over, but its wings were still rigid, and the momentum carried it directly towards me!

Just before impact, I dived to one side, and the creature crashed into the ground where I’d stood a moment ago. The impact made a terrifying thud sound.

I scrambled to my feet, expecting the creature to pounce on me at any moment. But I needn’t have bothered. It hadn’t levelled out or used its claws to slow its descent.

The unfortunate creature bore the full landing force on its head, which was now part buried, and part mush. Its rear legs and tail pointed skywards. In another situation, it might be comical.

The Trauts were nowhere to be seen, leaving me alone with the dead creature. I grabbed my stun gun, which I’d dropped, and returned it to my pocket. I might need that again.

I looked at my hands and saw blood on them, my blood! I couldn’t tell how. It might have been the bushes, the rocky ground, or perhaps rocks thrown up during the crash.

As the adrenalin wore off, I suddenly felt weak. I slumped to the ground, leaning against the torso of the dead creature. Alone on an alien planet, injured and in shock. I didn’t have a medical kit. There was nothing to tend to my wounds. I closed my eyes, overcome with tiredness.


Jem met with Laine and Saria at the main bridge. They were approaching the Uv’ek system and would soon drop out of hyperspace.

Jem turned to Laine. “How are you?”

“I’m well, thank you. I was hoping perhaps Brian arrived here ahead of us.”

“Stranger things have happened,” said Jem.

Saria raised her eyebrow.

“But if he hasn’t made it here, are we ready to carry out our plan?” asked Jem.

“Ship has prepared vessels. I provided a search list,” said Laine.

“I’ve limited supplies aboard of the required materials. Once we arrive in the system, I can mine the asteroid belt for more,” added Ship.

“Thank you, Ship. If the Captain isn’t waiting for us already, send out whatever is ready to begin the search,” ordered Jem.

“Confirmed. We will arrive at the Uv’ek system in thirty minutes, Commodore,” replied Ship.


Half an hour later, the hyper-drive went offline. Everyone watched the tactical display on the main bridge. This was the second time they’d visited. Last time, they left Mina and Zune to re-colonize Uv’ek three.

“Attention, we have arrived at the Uv’ek system,” said Ship.

On the tactical display, they saw the Uv’ek system. Throughout the system were blue dots representing the system defences.

“Ship, activate your transponder and take us to orbit around to Uv’ek three. Check in with the system defences,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. The Baglogi dreadnought began a course towards the third planet.

A few minutes later, Ship spoke. “Commodore, there’s no report of the Captain here.”

“Understood. Ship, send off the vessels you have ready,” ordered Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. Several blue dots appeared on the tactical display as the small probe vessels left on their appointed courses.

“Hopefully he didn’t go far, and we’ll find him quickly,” said Laine.

“Agreed. Meanwhile, we’ll visit Mina and Zune. Suit up and meet me in the shuttle bay once we’re in orbit,” said Jem.


I woke up later, lying on my back near a small campfire. The last thing I remembered was that creature attacking us. It was dark. The sun had gone down while I was unconscious.

I rolled my head to see the Trauts nearby, eating meat on sticks around the fire. My side ached, and I groaned. They all turned to look at me.

One of them came over and helped me sit.

“What happened?” I groaned.

“You kill Haku. No one kill Haku before,” said the Traut.

“That flying creature?” I asked.

He nodded vigorously.

“It tried to kill us,” I croaked. My throat felt parched and my voice showed it.

My host offered me a water skin. “Drink this, will help.”

I sipped the water and handed it back to him with a nod of thanks.

Throughout this, the others continued to eat.

I checked my pockets for the reassuring presence of the stun gun.

“You big magic, kill Haku,” he said. His face showed awe.

“My first time,” I said as I smiled briefly. “I got lucky.”

Fighting winged creatures wasn’t my thing, more an act of desperation.

“First time Haku killed. First time eat Haku,” he said.

“Hopefully no more Haku here,” I said. He stared at me, then quickly checked to make sure.

“No more here,” he said.

“That’s good, or your fire would bring them to you,” I said.

He turned to the fire and fetched me a stick with meat on it.

“You eat. Later rest. Tomorrow we go,” he said as he put the stick into my hand.

I glanced at it, then took a bite. It wasn’t too bad. In the absence of a food dispenser, it would suffice.

He watched as I ate the meat. I decided it was time to reach out.

“My name is Brian. What is your name?” I asked.

“I am Ronh,” he said.

“Thank you for the food and the water, Ronh,” I said.

He smiled.

“Haku meat, taste good,” he said. Soon, he rejoined the others.

After my meal, I lay down to sleep again.


A while later, Ship announced they were in orbit around Uv’ek three. All three crew changed into their away team uniforms and met in the shuttle bay.

“Let’s go visit Mina and Zune!” said Jem. She led them into the shuttle.

Jem sat in the pilot seat, and Laine and Saria took seats behind her.

“Ship, once we’re gone, get what you need from the asteroid belt,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

The shuttle bay depressurized and Jem piloted the shuttle outside Ship. As the shuttle descended towards the planet, Ship left orbit.

“It’s strange to see Ship going off somewhere without us,” said Laine.

“This entire system is under our protection. We’re safe here. Besides, Ship needs to gather more material to build probes to search for Brian,” said Jem.

“I wonder how Mina and Zune are progressing with their farming,” said Saria.

“We’ll soon find out,” said Jem.

The shuttle was approaching the landing pad. The forward view showed the compound and various areas of land that were prepared to grow crops.

Jem noticed another shuttle parked on one side of the landing pad. She adjusted her course to land on the other side. She also switched to anti-gravity as they arrived. It provided a gentle landing and caused less damage to nearby vegetation.

Shortly, they exited the airlock to be greeted by Mina, Zune and Cathy.

“Cathy!” exclaimed Laine. “How did you get here??”

“I came here aboard Yorkie, a vessel built by Quon. It might be in the system somewhere. I don’t know,” she replied.

“Please come inside, Commodore. I’m sure we have things to discuss,” said Mina.

Jem smiled and nodded.

Everyone followed Mina and Zune into the main dwelling structure.


Inside, they all sat in the lounge area. Mina and Zune sat together, holding hands. Jem and Laine sat on a sofa. Saria leaned against a wall, with her laser carbine slung over her shoulder.

Cathy recalled her story, how she brought coffee plants for Mina to cultivate. She’d changed her mind and asked Jem to join the crew.

The amazing thing was she spoke in Ori, with little help from her personal device.

“I remember I made you that offer. When you returned to Earth, I thought you’d given up on joining us,” said Jem.

“I realized that I’d made a mistake. I convinced Quon that my leaving wouldn’t contaminate the population of Earth. He made it clear it was a one-way trip,” said Cathy.

“I’m impressed you talked Quon into sending you here. Welcome to the crew, Cathy,” said Jem.

“Cathy brought more than just coffee plants. We now have an assortment of Earth seeds and plants. Because of this, we’ve changed our planting strategy,” said Mina.

“Within a year, we could export coffees, teas, and vegetables. I expect at first we’ll supply your vessel and other outposts, but Mina says there will be an interest in the Ori Confederation and it’s trading partners,” said Zune. His Ori had also improved.

“It sounds like you have a nice growing venture,” said Jem with a smile.

Zune nodded.

“You’ve said nothing about Brian. Where is he?” asked Mina.

“We don’t know where he is. He discovered a device that transported him off our vessel while we were coming here,” said Jem.

“Intentionally?” asked Cathy.

“I don’t believe so,” replied Jem.

“We’ve a list of potential systems he might have travelled to,” said Laine. “We’re sending probes to find him.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close