Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 13: The Norco System

A few days later, the hyper-drive went offline and Ship decelerated to sub-light speed as we approached our next destination.

I sat in the main bridge with Jem, Laine, and Cathy, watching the tactical display.

“Ship, deploy probes and explore the system,” Jem said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. We saw several blue dots on the tactical display emerge from Ship and move into the system.

“Ship, pull up the data on this system?” I asked.

“This is the Norco system. My records show a non space-faring civilization on the third planet,” replied Ship.

“So, a brief visit then,” I said.

“Attention, vessel detected around the third planet. It appears to be a freighter,” said Ship.

“As you were saying, Captain,” said Jem with a grin.

“I spoke too soon. Ship, take us to the third planet,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“You don’t want to cloak?” asked Jem.

“If it’s a freighter, we have little to fear. Perhaps our presence will encourage answers from them,” I said.

Jem nodded.

The tactical display showed our vessel entering the system. Our sub-light engines soon closed the distance with Norco three.

“Ship, Hail the freighter,” said Jem.

“Hail sent. They sent back an audio response,” replied Ship.

“We regret we cannot answer your call right now. Please leave a message, including where we can send a response. Thank you...”

“That’s different!” said Jem.

“It reminds me of Earth. What you call communicators, we call phones, but no one answers them,” said Cathy.

Jem smirked.

“Ship, bring us into an orbit near the freighter,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

A few minutes later, we arrived in orbit. The freighter was directly ahead of us.

“Ship, can you identify the freighter?” asked Jem.

“Negative. The freighter doesn’t match any in my records,” replied Ship.

“Perhaps they visited the locals?” asked Laine.

“But they’re a non space-faring civilization!” said Jem. “They’re off limits.”

“Attention, we’re being hailed, audio only,” said Ship.

“Is it the freighter?” I asked.

“Negative. The hail is from the planet.”

“Welcome to Norco three. We welcome friendly visitors for trade. Sending you the coordinates to our spaceport on the southern continent...”

“Oh wow, they have a spaceport!” said Laine.

I looked at Jem, who mirrored my surprise.

“Ship, did you get the coordinates?” I asked.

“Confirmed. I’ve downloaded the course to the shuttle,” replied Ship.

I grinned.

“Who are you taking with you?” asked Jem.

“Saria, Laine. Could I take Yuhi as well?” I asked.

“She’s not crew. Why do you need her?” asked Jem.

“There are several unknowns to answer. A non space-faring civilization with a spaceport? The freighter? She can help me get answers,” I said.

“Permission granted. Come back safe, Captain,” she said.

“I have an idea!” said Laine.


After I left the main bridge, I went straight to see Yuhi in her cabin. I rang the chime, and the door opened.

“Captain?” she asked.

“You don’t know?”

“With your fog hiding everyone, I can’t read anyone aboard this vessel.”

I smiled. My hiding would hinder her talents on our away mission.

“Just a moment,” I said. I focused my mind on the fog and dismissed it.

When I turned back to her, her eyes were staring at me.

“Yes, I’ll go with you,” she said.

I nodded.

“Ship, I’ll need a uniform for Yuhi. Ask Saria and Laine to meet me in the shuttle bay,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

We left her cabin.


Yuhi and I met Saria and Laine at the shuttle bay. Everyone wore their away team uniform. Saria had her laser carbine. Laine had a grav sled loaded up with various items.

“What’s all that?” I asked.

“They said we’re welcome to trade. I asked Ship to manufacture items of suitable tech level to trade,” she replied.

“Good idea,” I said.

Yuhi looked at each of us, blinking.

“Yuhi is joining us to help detect any subterfuge,” I said.

“Cool! Welcome to the team,” said Laine with excitement.

After that, we helped Laine load her cargo into the shuttle, and I took the pilot seat. Laine sat beside me in the copilot seat, smiling at me.

Soon, the shuttle bay decompressed and the outer door opened. I piloted outside the shuttle bay and activated the autopilot.

Below, I saw various colours on the planet’s surface.

I turned to face everyone.

“Normally planets without a space-faring race are off limits to other races. This planet isn’t normal, as they hailed us and have a spaceport. I have to assess the situation.”

“Can we trade with the locals?” asked Laine.

“I’m not sure, but probably yes.”

Laine gave me a big smile. For an instant, I recalled Koluna, and how she would’ve enjoyed trading with the locals.

Yuhi blinked, as if reacting to my memory.

I established a link with Yuhi.

“While we’re on the planet, you can quietly observe everyone. Send me any relevant intel you pick up,” I sent to her.

“Yes, Captain,” she replied.


Our autopilot knew the coordinates to the spaceport, but as it was our first visit, I took control of the final approach.

The spaceport was a landing pad large enough for several shuttles. I saw another shuttle, probably belonging to the freighter we found in orbit.

I brought our shuttle down carefully with thrusters and anti-grav. Once we landed, I shut down the systems, and we gathered at the airlock.

Saria opened the door and stepped through the airlock. A moment later, she returned and gestured that we could exit.

Close to our shuttle stood a group of locals, no doubt here to greet us.

“Welcome to Norco three,” said a local. He wore a dark blue outfit and spoke in perfect Ori.

We all stared at him. Our reaction startled him.

“I said it correctly?? Only get few visitors...”

“Oh no, your greeting was perfect. It was unexpected,” I replied.

“We learned that most visitors who trade use this language. One of the earliest items we traded for was training in Ori.”

I smiled and nodded.

“I’m Captain Brian and these are Saria, Laine, and Yuhi,” I said.

He smiled.

“My name is Jaybee. Welcome to our spaceport. I’m sure you have many more questions. Let’s go inside where we can talk.” He gestured to a nearby building.

They turned and walked towards the building, and we followed. I noticed Saria doing a visual sweep of the area as we walked.


Our host led us into a meeting room, with comfortable looking sofas arranged in a circle.

“Please take a seat, and we can talk,” said Jaybee.

“Thank you,” I said. I gestured to my crew to sit. Saria looked a little hesitant, probably thinking to guard the area, but I convinced her.

Jaybee looked at me to start the conversation.

“According to our records, your people aren’t space-faring, yet you have a spaceport. You hailed us soon after we arrived in orbit. Could you please enlighten us?” I asked.

He smiled. “We haven’t developed the technology to travel the stars. But we discovered visitors to our system and reached out to them. We built a spaceport and learned this language to facilitate trade.”

“That’s fascinating, Jaybee. We follow a rule not to interact with non space-faring races, for fear of causing damage,” I said.

“Yes, I’ve heard of that, although not every visitor follows that rule. They helped us to upgrade our communications and learn the language. Later, we built the spaceport. Now most visitors are fine with visiting us.”

“That’s amazing! But how do you protect from the disturbance caused by contact with visitors?”

“We’re careful in our dealings with visitors, such as limiting contact. Our people know of visitors, and enjoy the benefits of trade goods, without exposure,” he replied.

“That’s prudent,” I said.

“While most visitors don’t offer advanced technology, we only accept items of a similar level to our own.”

“Again, a wise approach. We also wouldn’t offer advanced technology,” I said.

“My father believed so. He invited the first visitors, and he established that which we have now.”

“We came because we noticed the other vessel in orbit. I assume they’re here to trade. Would it be possible to meet with them?” I asked.

“Of course! I can take you to meet them,” he replied.

I turned to Laine.

“Laine, while I see the other visitors, please fetch the items you brought and find out what interests our hosts. I’ll take Yuhi with me,” I said.

“Yes, Captain,” she said.

Saria looked at me.

“Saria, I expect you’ll want to accompany me and Yuhi?” I asked.

She nodded.

“That would leave Laine alone. I need you to protect and help her. Be sure to scan everything you take aboard the shuttle. I don’t want us returning with explosives or tracking devices,” I said.

She frowned, but nodded.

“I’m trusting you with an important responsibility. That leaves me free to talk with the trader.”

I stood up, as did Saria, Laine, Yuhi, and our hosts. Jaybee led us along a corridor, and we split into two groups.


Yuhi and I followed Jaybee into another room. All conversation stopped as we entered.

“Captain Dajon Graves, allow me to introduce you to Captain Brian, another visitor,” said Jaybee, gesturing to me.

A tall, fat being turned to me. He looked me over, trying to assess me. Then he grinned.

“Well met, Captain. Are you here to trade?” he asked.

“Well met, Captain,” I mirrored his greeting. “We only just discovered the planet was open for trade. Have you traded here before?”

He smiled at me.

“Be careful of this one,” Yuhi sent to me psychically.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close