Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 14: The Varech

“What do we do now?” asked Cathy.

Two Varech vessels were hot on our trail. Another three vessels had destroyed our decoy probe.

“I’m thinking,” I said. “Ship, can you detect any abnormality in their movement?”

“The two lead vessels are on a direct course for us,” replied Ship.

“Change course, then cut engines. Let us drift, and report on the Varech response,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

We watched the tactical display as we made a turn to the left. Our engines cut out, and we continued on our course.

“What are you doing, Captain?” asked Jem.

I turned to face Jem. “Commodore, we’re cloaked, and Ship found no tracking device. I’m trying to figure out how they’re following us,” I replied.

“You think they can detect our ion trail?” asked Saria.

“What’s that?” asked Jem.

“Our sub-light engines leave a faint trail of ionized particles behind us,” replied Saria.

“They’d have to have impressive sensors to detect that,” said Jem.

“We should tell soon enough,” I said.

“Attention, the two lead vessels are slightly off course,” said Ship.

“Ship, please launch a cloaked probe. Send it off in a different direction, using maximum sub-light speed,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

A moment later, a blue dot left us. Soon after, the Varech changed course.

“That confirms your theory, Captain,” said Jem.

“And that our cloak works,” said Laine.

“It was a lucky guess. I’m masking our psychic presence, and Ship’s cloaking is excellent, so it had to be something else,” I said.

We watched the tactical display as the five red dots chased the one blue dot.

“Perhaps there’s something unique about our ion trail the Varech are tracking,” said Saria.

“That’s a good question for later. We have to decide how to stop these Varech,” I said.

Saria nodded.

“Attention, Captain,” said Ship.

“Go ahead,” I said.

“Although you have done exceptionally well with remote devices, I am equipped with armaments. Might I suggest the rail-guns,” said Ship.

I looked at Jem, then at Saria. They both shrugged. I’d never put Ship in harm’s way. I preferred to be far away while an enemy suffered from nano-bots or data port probes.

“Won’t the enemy be able to track the weapons fire back to us?” I asked.

“Perhaps, but we can change location.”

“Use sub-light engines sparingly, pulse and drift if you understand me. I want to reduce our exposure to detection,” I said.

“Confirmed. I can use docking thrusters to orient myself,” replied Ship.

“Then go ahead, show us what you can do,” I said.

As I spoke, the Varech had caught up with the cloaked probe. It winked out of existence as they dispatched it. Meanwhile, Ship turned to face the Varech.

“Rail-guns are part of the hull. Ship has to point itself at the target, rather than turning a turret,” said Saria.

On the tactical display, five Varech vessels were looping around, searching for us.

“I think they’re scanning for our ion trail,” said Laine.

I turned to Yuhi again. “Do you sense anything from them?”

She blinked. “Malice, searching ... They’re searching for us.”

“I have to close the distance with the enemy, which will take a brief burst of sub-light engines,” said Ship.

“Go ahead, Ship,” I said. I felt nervous as I handed over our survival to an AI.

The Varech were directly ahead of us. Soon, we moved in their direction. I held my breath, as if the Varech could sense my approach.

We closed on the enemy. Then I sensed a rumbling beneath our feet. Metal projectiles fired from our vessel towards the Varech.

I wondered how likely they were to hit. The Varech were moving around, rather like a swarm. Perhaps Ship could track their motion and decide when to fire. I knew I couldn’t.

A moment later, Ship fired again. Then we turned and fired a quick burst of sub-light.

We drifted along for about a minute, waiting for the Varech to detect us and pounce on us.

“Attention, three vessels direct hit,” said Ship.

On the tactical display, three red dots winked out. The remaining two turned and sped towards our last position, firing blindly.

Meanwhile, Ship turned gradually around using thrusters.

“Excellent work!” I said.

This time, the Varech were much closer. Ship adjusted using thrusters only.

Again, we felt a rumbling as Ship fired. The Varech moved, and it looked like the shot missed.

“Ship, did you get them?” I asked.

“Minor hits to both vessels. Changing course now,” replied Ship.

Both vessels were close by, so Ship couldn’t use more than the smallest bursts of sub-light engines. They turned in our direction and started firing.

Suddenly, one Varech vessel exploded. The remaining one veered off, then went dark. The last two red dots winked out of existence.

“Ship, what happened?” I asked. We hadn’t fired again.

“I included nano-bots in the projectiles fired on the Varech. I suspected the insides might not be as resistant as their outer hulls,” replied Ship.

“Outstanding!” I said.

“You’ve saved us from a formidable enemy!” said Jem.

“Woo hoo!” yelled Cathy, bouncing up and down.

Even Saria looked impressed.

“Yuhi, can you sense any survivors?” I asked.

She blinked. “No, Captain.”

“Thank you. Ship, please take us back to orbit around Norco three,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.


As we were returning to the planet, Saria spoke.

“Commodore, I’ve another request,” she said.

“Go ahead, Lieutenant,” replied Jem.

“Direct Ship to send a probe with maintenance bots to investigate the derelict vessels. We know little about the Varech and their vessels.”

Jem glanced at me and I nodded.

“Ship, deploy a probe with maintenance bots to investigate the Varech vessels.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Good thinking, Lieutenant. We can afford time to gather enemy intel,” said Jem.

She smiled.

“I’d like to know more about their hull. Perhaps we can make nano-bots out of the same substance,” she said.

“Excellent idea. We once changed a batch of nano-bots to take out killer androids,” said Jem.

“Ship, any more threats in the system?” I asked.

“Negative, Captain,” replied Ship.

By now, we were approaching Norco three. The freighter was no longer in orbit.

“What happened to the freighter?” asked Jem.

“I tracked the freighter leaving the system in a hurry, soon after the Varech reached us,” replied Ship.

“Ship, please hail the planet,” I said.

“Confirmed. I have audio only,” replied Ship.

“Welcome back, Captain. How’d it go with the ‘unfriendly visitors’?” asked the voice of Jaybee.

“They won’t be coming back,” I said.

“That’s a relief. You have our gratitude, Captain,” he said.

“I can’t say you won’t get unfriendly visitors in the future. You have no system defences. You’re in a difficult situation,” I said.

“We understand. Over time, we hope to develop our own defences. Until then, we’re grateful for the support of friends,” he said.

“I can’t provide you with our advanced technology, but I can offer this. Be careful who you invite,” I said.

“Thank you for what you have already done. We’ll proceed on faith. Those we’ve already met will keep our location a secret. They don’t want to lose a trading partner,” he said.

“Understood. We’ll leave orbit soon. I wish you well,” I said.

“And you, safe travels,” he said. Then the channel closed.

I turned to Jem.

“Once we’ve got some intel from the Varech vessels, we’re ready to leave, Commodore,” I said.

“Agreed. Ship, once you’re done with the derelict vessels, take us to the next destination.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.


A few hours later, the hyper-drive engaged, and we left the Norco system. Although the locals were friendly, I was glad to leave. We’d fought and overcome a formidable foe.

I sat alone on a sofa in the main bridge. We normally kept watch when in a system, in case further threats arrived. It relieved me to hear the hum of the hyper-drive.

After a few minutes, I returned my coffee cup to the food dispenser before leaving to get a needed rest.

During night mode, the corridor lights shone dimly outside my cabin. My cabin door was open, as I’d left it, and I entered. I hadn’t got the chance to sleep while in the Norco system, and I didn’t feel inclined to check on the crew. Soon, I was asleep.


Much later, I awoke. The lights were still dim. I soon realized that Laine was sleeping beside me, snoring lightly. I lay there, enjoying the warmth, while my brain started going over recent events.

Soon, nature dictated I visit the en-suite. Too much coffee! I snuck out without waking my fellow crewmate and did my morning ritual. Once dressed, I snuck out of the cabin.

It wasn’t far from my cabin to the lido, so I popped in there to get my morning coffee. I pulled up a chair and sipped on my drink while watching the sun rise over the waves. It was easy to imagine I was on a beach on a peaceful planet somewhere.

Much later, Ship called. “Captain, Cathy invites you to join her in the main dining lounge.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close