Star Guardian 4
Chapter 16: To Oysian

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

I returned the shuttle back inside Ship. The door closed and the shuttle bay re-pressurized.

“Please follow us to decontamination,” I said.

I stood, and they followed my lead. We exited the shuttle, with Saria following.

Once cleaned, scanned, and clothed in clean jumpsuits, we all proceeded to the main bridge. Jem, Laine, Cathy, and Yuhi were there to greet us.

“Welcome aboard. I’m Commodore Jem. You’re safe now,” said Jem.

The female stepped forward, looked at me, before returning her focus to Jem.

“My name is Melyar. This is Captain Enyon, and this is Kenan,” she said. “We’re from the Oysian system, seeking your aid.”

“You came in search of us?” asked Jem.

“Yes, we saw an old news vid from Ori Major, about the brave Commander Brian of the Baglogi. You’re famous for defending others.” She turned to look at me.

Saria smirked again. My far-reaching fame amused her. Often, that fame had caused us trouble.

“He’s Captain Brian now,” said Jem.

Melyar smiled at me.

“I learned that.”

“Perhaps you should explain why you need our help and what we can do for you,” said Jem.

“Our home system is now occupied by the Tikaani. They invaded about a cycle ago. They destroyed our navy and enslaved our people,” said Melyar.

Cathy gasped. Jem glanced at her before returning her gaze to Melyar.

“Go on,” urged Jem.

“We tried to get the word out to our allies. They hunted down all our scout vessels and destroyed them. I think we’re the first to succeed.”

“Fortunately, we came along in time,” said Jem.

“That’s indeed a miracle! We’re out in deep space, far from any systems. I don’t know how you found us,” said Melyar.

I looked at Jem, who looked back at me intently.

“Best keep that to ourselves,” she thought to me.

“We were in the area and picked you up on our long range sensors,” I said.

Melyar looked at me.

“A miracle, and hopefully a good omen,” she said.

I looked at Yuhi.

“Yuhi, can you detect any deception?” I thought to her.

“No, Captain. She is desperate for our help,” replied Yuhi.

I looked at Jem and nodded. She smiled back at me. Melyar looked back and forth between us.

“Melyar, we’ll help you. Ship, set course for the Oysian system,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. “Estimated travel time four days.”

Melyar smiled. Not long after, the hyper-drive engaged, and we winked out of normal space.


“Ship, please assign quarters for our three guests,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Saria, please escort our guests to their quarters,” said Jem.

Saria saluted and guided the three Oysian guests back to the elevator. I waited for the door to close.

“Ship, did the Tikaani vessel escape in the same direction?” I asked.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I looked at Jem.

“They’ll reach the Oysian system before us. The Tikaani will expect us,” I said.

“Not ideal conditions,” said Jem.

“They won’t have time to get reinforcements,” said Laine.

“Ship, please review the sensor logs of the Tikaani vessels. Look for strengths and weaknesses,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Clearly, the rail guns work against them,” said Laine.

“Against one or two vessels is fine. But we don’t know how many enemy vessels we’ll face,” I said.

“Captain, you have four days to prepare for various scenarios. I’m sure you’ll want to include Saria in your planning,” said Jem.

“Of course,” I replied.

“Laine, Cathy, could you help prepare a meal? We’ve three extra for dinner,” said Jem.

Laine and Cathy smiled and nodded.

Soon after, we separated.


“Captain!” called out Cathy from behind me.

We’d left the main bridge, and I was returning to my cabin. I wanted some time alone to mull over the situation in the Oysian system.

I turned to face Cathy. It didn’t take psychic abilities to tell she had something on her mind.

“So this mission we’ve committed to ... It fits our mandate?” she asked.

“Yes, it does. They’re space-faring, so not off-limits. They asked for our help,” I replied.

“It sounds like a huge undertaking.”

“No argument there. I don’t know how we’re going to do it, but we’ve committed to liberating them.”

“I think I understand,” she said. She looked me in the eye.

“I hope so, because we’ll need your help.”

“My help?”

“We all do what we can. I’d like you to make friends with our Oysian guests. Learn all you can about their system, and the Tikaani. The smallest details could make a difference,” I said.

“Yes, Sir!” she said. Then she left on her new mission.


Later, I got a call, summoning me to the main dining lounge. On arrival, I met Laine, Cathy, and Melyar in the kitchen area. All three were busy preparing our meal.

As soon as I approached, they all stopped. Laine and Cathy grinned. Melyar looked at me in awe.

“Please don’t stop on my account,” I said.

“We’re almost finished. That’s why we had Ship call everyone,” said Cathy.

“It’s fascinating to learn about your customs and food preparation, Captain Brian,” said Melyar.

“I’m glad to provide a distraction from your suffering. Did you discover compatible food?” I asked.

“I checked with Ship. Much of our food is compatible with their physiology,” said Laine.

“Excellent.”

“Your food stores are impressive. On our vessels, we only carry rations,” said Melyar.

I grinned.

“Recently, Laine bartered with the inhabitants of a planet we visited. We got quite a haul,” I said.

Melyar looked at Laine, who smiled.

“We enjoy meals together, as a social activity, at least once a day. It’s good for morale,” said Jem. I didn’t realize she’d arrived and come up behind me.

Melyar nodded.

A moment later, Saria arrived, escorting Captain Enyon and Kenan. I was glad to see the absence of her laser carbine.

Jem pointed to one of our larger tables.

“I see the table is ready. Please come and sit down to eat,” she said.

I joined Jem, Saria, Captain Enyon, and Kenan at the table. Laine led Cathy and Melyar, carrying dishes of food. It smelled wonderful!

Once everyone sat down, we started eating. The food was outstanding.

I noticed that our guests often looked my way, especially Melyar.

“Excuse me, Melyar. Is there something about my appearance? You keep looking at me,” I said.

“Oh, no! Captain Brian, but you’re the answer to our prayers,” she replied.

Kenan added, “we didn’t know where to find you. We searched for you, but you found us, at our moment of greatest need. You saved the three of us.”

I didn’t want to share Yuhi’s abilities with them.

“Sometimes you just get lucky. We were on our way in this direction,” I said.

“Our Captain is talented, but he doesn’t answer prayers. Don’t make him into a deity,” said Jem.

“Of course. I’m sorry,” said Melyar.

“We only have a few days to plan how to liberate your system. If you make Brian uncomfortable, it may upset the process,” said Jem.

Melyar nodded. After that, we continued to enjoy the meal together.


After dinner, Jem touched me on my arm.

“Captain, I’d like a private word with you,” she said quietly to me.

“Of course, Commodore. I’ll follow you.”

I followed her to her cabin and entered inside. She closed the door and gestured to a sofa. We sat down next to each other.

“What are your thoughts?” she asked.

“You mean like this?” I sent to her psychically. She shivered at the tingling sensation.

“No, silly! I mean, what we’re doing with the Oysians,” she said aloud.

“Oh ... They’re space-faring and they asked for our help,” I said.

“Isn’t it a dispute between two space-faring races?” she asked.

“A dispute is one thing. This is an invasion and occupation.”

“I wonder if we’re doing the right thing. Do you trust what the Oysians told us?”

“I had Yuhi check them out. Their request is genuine. The Tikaani vessels were about to destroy their vessel when we intervened.”

She nodded.

“What would your parents have done in this situation? Would they turn them away?” I asked.

“I don’t know. They died when I was young.”

“Imagine you could ask them.”

“They’d help the Oysians. It’s just a big step up. It’s the first time we liberate an entire system.”

“That depends on the size of the opposition,” I said.

She was quiet for a few minutes.

“Are you planning to destroy the Tikaani like we did the pirates?” asked Jem.

“I don’t know yet. Do you think they’ll listen to reason and withdraw?” I asked.

“Perhaps in the face of overwhelming odds. If we used several dreadnought probes, they might see reason.”

“I like your line of thinking. We should consider that,” I said.

More silence.

“If we succeed, then what? The Tikaani destroyed their defences,” she said.

“We can create defences, like we did for Dentra.”

“They have allies. Perhaps they could help.”

“So we have options, once we liberate them,” I said.

She sighed.

“Keep me informed of your plans,” she said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close