Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 17: Liberation

“Ship, take us to Oysian Major. What’s the status of the remaining Tikaani vessels?” I said.

“Confirmed. I have cloaked probes approaching them to deploy data port probes,” replied Ship.

“Excellent. We may need a diversion to give the data port probes time to work,” I said.

“What’s a data port probe?” asked Melyar.

“It’s a Baglogi secret. I want to finish this without further lives lost,” I said.

Jem nodded at me.

“We’ve already lost many Oysian lives,” said Kenan.

“We can’t undo the past, Kenan. If this becomes a battle, more Oysian lives are at risk,” said Jem.

“Attention, the first data port probe has attached to a Tikaani vessel,” said Ship.

“Excellent! How many more? How long for the remaining vessels?” I asked.

“There are ten more vessels. I estimate twenty minutes for the remaining vessels,” replied Ship.

“Thank you,” I said.

“Captain, I’ve got an idea,” said Laine.

“Explain?”

“With several vessels, we can try different approaches in parallel to break the encryption...” she said.

“I see. We can reduce the time. Good idea, Laine! Ship, did you get that?”

“Confirmed. I’ll work in parallel,” replied Ship.

“Captain, permission to create a diversion,” said Saria.

I smiled.

“Go ahead, Lieutenant,” I said.

“Ship, can you create a hologram of a Tikaani warship?” asked Saria.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Are any probes near the derelict vessels?” she asked.

“Confirmed.”

“Use the holo-projectors to pretend to be warships. They can travel with the derelict vessels. Make sure they’re on the side facing the planet,” said Saria.

“Confirmed.”

“Oh, I like that! They might not notice that some of them are derelict,” I said.

“What if they try to hail them?” asked Jem.

“We don’t know their language, or protocols. Best if we don’t respond,” I said.

“Attention, two more data port probes have attached,” said Ship.

On the tactical display, blue dots were moving around the planet, approaching the red dots.

“It won’t be long,” I said.

We watched and waited.


“Attention, all remaining Tikaani vessels have data port probes attached,” said Ship.

“Good, keep me updated,” I said.

“Confirmed.”

Laine had a hopeful expression on her face. By now, we’d achieved a high orbit, further out from the Tikaani vessels.

“What happens now?” asked Melyar.

“We wait a little longer. Everything depends on the outcome of this next step,” I replied.

The tension was high in the main bridge. Our guests might not understand the details, but so far we hadn’t failed.

“Attention, the derelict vessels are passing within view of the planet,” said Ship.

On the tactical display, the cluster of derelict vessels drifted by, accompanied by probes.

“Any reaction from the vessels in orbit?” I asked.

“I’m receiving encrypted communications from one vessel,” replied Ship.

“Commodore, we can’t respond,” I said.

“We must watch and see what they do,” she said.

Because of their speed, they were soon past and getting further out of sight.

“Attention, one vessel is breaking orbit,” said Ship.

“They’re going to investigate,” said Saria.

“Ship, does that vessel have a data port probe attached?” I asked.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Hopefully, we break the encryption before they discover the derelict vessels,” I said.

Jem nodded.

We waited.

A few minutes later, Ship spoke.

“Attention, I’ve broken their encryption protocols,” said Ship.

I let out a breath. If we hadn’t succeeded, it would mean more loss of life. Jem, Saria, and Laine smiled.

“Attention, all remaining Tikaani vessels are under our control,” said Ship.

“Disable all functions except life-support and download the navigation data,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Oh, and bring back the vessel that went to investigate. Park it in orbit with the others,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I turned to our guests.

“The battle is over. Their vessels are either destroyed or under our control.”

“Just like that??” asked Melyar.

I nodded.

“Truly a miracle!” she said.

“What about their troops on the planet’s surface?” asked Kenan.

“We don’t have the numbers to fight a ground war. I hope to use their vessels as leverage.”


“Attention, I’ve locked down all Tikaani vessels. I’ve also located the fleet commander,” said Ship.

“Thank you, Ship. Patch us through to their fleet commander,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Commodore, would you like to handle this?” I asked.

“No. You go ahead,” she replied.

By now, an image of a Tikaani appeared on the tactical display.

“Who are you?? What did you do to my vessel??” he shouted.

“We’re the Baglogi. We control all of your vessels,” I said.

“How dare you! This is an act of war against the Tikaani empire. We’ll destroy you and your homeworld,” he said.

“You’re in no position to make threats, commander. But I could just say the word and destroy all your vessels,” I said.

“You’ll do nothing, you’re weak. We’ll crush you and all you hold dear ... We’ll stomp on your rotting carcasses...” he said. I didn’t let him continue his rant.

“Ship, mute this imbecile. Find me the next highest ranking being, preferably on a different vessel. Show him what the fleet commander said, and then put him through,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

A few minutes later, another Tikaani officer appeared on the tactical display.

“I’m Captain Brian of the Baglogi. Did you see the recording?” I said.

“Yes, I did. Why have you invaded the Tikaani empire?” he said.

“This is the Oysian system, which belongs to the Oysians. I intend to remove your people and your vessels. Your commander is unwilling to discuss this with us,” I said.

“What’s there to discuss? You have us at a disadvantage,” he said.

I smiled.

“We can either send you all home or evacuate your crews into space. I’ve already destroyed seven of your warships.”

“If we leave, what’s stopping us from returning?”

“I have the coordinates of your home system. Imagine what we could do there.”

“What are your terms?” he asked.

“Recall your ground troops without delay. I’ll direct your remaining vessels to take you home.”

“Give me time to discuss with my officers.”

“I’ll give you a few minutes. Ship enable their communications. End transmission,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“He sounded more reasonable,” said Jem.

“I hope so,” I said. “The alternative is messy.”

“What happens now?” asked Melyar.

“We give them a few minutes. Hopefully, we won’t need a ground assault,” I said.


A few minutes later, Ship spoke:

“Alert, incoming hail from the Tikaani vessel,” said Ship.

“Put it through on the tactical display,” I said.

“We accept your terms,” said the officer.

“Begin recalling your ground troops. No attacks on Oysian citizens. We’ll contact the Oysian government and ask them to provide safe passage to the spaceport,” I said.

“Understood, Captain,” he said.

Ship closed the call.

I turned to Melyar.

“Melyar, I need your help to contact the Oysian government,” I said.

She approached the console and entered a frequency.

After several minutes, a face appeared on the display.

“Melyar, is that you?? I thought you were dead.” he said.

“Father! We’re saved!” she said. “We found the Baglogi, and they’ve liberated our planet.”

He looked at me.

“I thank you for saving my daughter,” he said. “I am ambassador Leo Atka.”

“Mr Ambassador, you misunderstand your daughter. When she said ‘We’re saved’, she meant the Oysian system.”

“They’ve negotiated the withdrawal of all Tikaani occupying forces,” said Melyar.

His eyes opened wide. Then he spoke in Oysian with Melyar. I waited for them to finish. The ambassador spoke to others off camera before returning his attention to me.

“This is marvellous news! A mere thank you is hardly enough,” he said.

“Listen carefully, the Tikaani require safe passage to withdraw their troops. Oysians must give them plenty of space to leave without more trouble. This isn’t the time for vengeance.”

He paused as he considered my words.

“Many have suffered at their hands.”

“I understand, but if you don’t let their troops leave, I can’t guarantee your safety. We don’t have the troops to fight a ground war. Many more will die.”

“I’ll do everything I can. I must go now,” he said.

He pressed a button on his console and the call ended.

Melyar turned to me. Tears were streaming down her face. Happy tears.

“Thank you, Captain Brian! Thank you all for saving our people,” she said.

“We must get the Tikaani off the planet without bloodshed. That means no retribution against their troops,” I said.

“I understand. So does my father. He will make it happen.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close