Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 18: Cleanup

I arrived at the main bridge. Jem was already there, and others were arriving. Soon, everyone was watching the tactical display.

The Tikaani vessels left orbit, and as a group, accelerated towards the edge of the Oysian system.

“They’re leaving!” said Kenan. All our guests had smiles on their faces.

Melyar wrapped me in a hug.

“Captain, you did it! You saved our people,” she said.

“It wasn’t just me,” I replied. I stepped back from her embrace with a frown. I preferred to choose who I was close to, and I didn’t like hugs from strangers.

She nodded.

“Ship, how long until they leave?” I asked.

“They should jump to hyperspace within twenty-five minutes,” replied Ship.

“Could you send a video of this to Oysian Major?” asked Melyar.

“Ship, please forward the video to Oysian Major,” I said.

“Confirmed.”

“Thank you. We’ll forever remember this day, the day of our liberation by the Baglogi. I want everyone to see it,” she said.

I looked over at the others. Jem and Laine grinned. Cathy nodded. Saria smirked.

I gestured at Cathy with my hand, pretending to hold a coffee mug. She smiled and nodded.

Soon, Cathy had a tray of coffees and handed them out. I stood to one side and sipped on mine.

For nearly half an hour, we followed the Tikaani vessels on the tactical display. They got further and further away until they winked out of normal space. They were gone.


Soon after the Tikaani left, we received a hail. Ship put it on the tactical display.

“Hello, this is ambassador Leo Atka,” he said.

Jem stood to reply, “Hello. I assume you saw the Tikaani leave.”

“We did, thank you. We shared the video with everyone here. It gives us renewed hope,” said the ambassador.

“I’m glad. We intend to keep watch for a while. We don’t want further trouble while you’re defenceless,” said Jem.

“Thank you. I’m grateful for your protection. We’ve a lot to do, restoring our government and order. It will take a few days before we’re ready to receive you,” he said.

“Understood. I’m sure my officers are working on something. It will take time to restore your system.”

The image of the ambassador turned toward Melyar.

“Daughter, I’m so proud of you. You and your crew found the Baglogi, which led to our liberation.”

“Father, it was a miracle. The Baglogi came out of nowhere and rescued us,” said Melyar.

“We’ll talk more in the coming days. We have much to do before you can return home.”

“Until then, father...” she said.

The call ended. Jem turned to me.

“Captain, you have a few days before we visit the planet,” said Jem. “I’m sure you’ll use them well.”

I smiled and nodded.

Jem left the main bridge.


Later, I met with Saria.

“With the battle over, we need to rebuild their defences,” I said.

She nodded.

“I’m handing this responsibility over to you, Lieutenant.”

She looked at me like I’d grown a second head.

“Huh?”

“You’re the security officer. It’s your area. I just have some limits for you,” I said.

“Sir?”

“We can’t give them tech they haven’t invented. Ask Melyar for schematics,” I said.

“Yes, Sir.”

“I see three areas: some new vessels, orbital platforms, and alliances. Ship report on the derelict vessels,” I said.

“I’ve started building a facility in the asteroid belt, and I’m towing the remains of the derelict vessels there for raw materials,” said Ship.

“Ship, Saria and Melyar will find the schematics for you.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Are we building defensive probes for the system?” asked Saria.

“No, they don’t have that level of tech. That’s where alliances come in. I sent message probes to Dentra and Quard, asking for help. Both of them owe us,” I said.

“We’re asking them to protect the Oysian system?”

“Even better, I want them to forge alliances with Oysian. That can include protection and trade. Right now, Oysians are alone and vulnerable.”

“They’ll arrive soon. Building ships will take time,” said Saria.

“Until then, we can’t leave. Direct our own defensive probes to patrol the system as you see fit.”

“Yes, Sir!”

“Make use of Laine and Cathy as needed. Laine’s late father was an ambassador. She and Melyar have that in common.”

“Understood, Sir!” she replied. I noticed she stood straighter and looked prouder. I smiled.

“Oh, make sure you give a friendly welcome to any vessels from Quard or Dentra. I don’t want any accidents,” I said.

“Yes, Sir! You can count on me, Sir...”

“Great. I’ll leave it all in your hands, Lieutenant.”

Soon after, we separated. I felt confident it was under control.


I visited the lido and sat by Jem, who, as usual, was in her favourite hammock.

“Brian, I expected you’d be busy,” she said.

“I’ve delegated rebuilding the defences to Saria.”

“Good! I’ve been telling you, you need to delegate more.”

“It’s hard to let go. At least Saria is thorough.”

She smiled and closed her eyes. I stood nearby for a moment, then I left for my cabin.


I rested in my cabin until I got a call from Saria.

“Captain, could you meet me in the gymnasium?” she asked.

“Do you need help with the system defences?” I asked.

“No, everything’s fine ... This is something else. I’ll tell you when you arrive,” she replied.

“Alright, on my way...”

I left for the elevator.

A few minutes later, I arrived at the gymnasium. Saria and Laine were waiting for me.

“Hello, what’s on your mind?” I asked.

“I’d like to further test your psychic abilities,” said Saria.

“Do I need to change into sparring gear?” I asked.

“No, Captain. You need to wear this blindfold,” she said.

A moment later, I stood in the centre of the sparring mat, wearing a blindfold.

“First test: Laine and I will walk around the sparring mat. Point to me with your right hand. Point to Laine with your left hand.”

In my mind, I focused on where they were relative to me. Then I raised my arms and pointed. I felt confident I knew their locations.

Soon, they started moving. I tried to follow with my hands. At one point, Saria changed direction. Laine stopped for a while. They were being sneaky!

A few minutes passed, and I sensed Saria getting closer.

“You can lower your hands now,” said Saria. “You passed!”

“How does that help me?” I asked.

“You can tell our location without looking. Next, I want you to block my attacks,” replied Saria.

“You want me to block your attacks wearing a blindfold??”

“Yes. Defend yourself!”

I focused on Saria, and tuned into her intentions. Soon, I was blocking attacks. She remained in front of my position. Then she stopped.

“It’s like you can predict my attacks before I move.”

“I sense where your next attack will be. Then I let my senses direct my blocks.”

“This could be useful if you’re fighting an opponent in darkness. Are you ready for the next level?” asked Saria.

“Sure,” I replied.

I sensed she was circling me, and I had to turn to keep facing her. Then she resumed her attacks. We continued for a few more minutes before stopping again.

“Captain, you’re almost as good as without a blindfold. This explains your improved fighting skills.”

“Are we finished?”

“No, there’s more. Please keep on the blindfold while we prepare.”

“Sure,” I replied. Her thoroughness was impressive. I heard them moving equipment around the gymnasium.

“Captain, we’re ready. In this test, you must block projectiles.”

“Go ahead.”

I focused on Saria, but she wasn’t throwing anything at me. I switched my focus to Laine, and she was just standing at the side of the sparring mat. Hmm.

Suddenly, something hit me. It wasn’t hard, and it bounced off me.

“What the??”

“Focus, Captain,” was all Saria said.

If Saria and Laine weren’t throwing objects, who was? I couldn’t sense anyone else in the gymnasium.

Another object bounced off me, from a different direction.

“You’re not throwing things at me,” I said.

“Correct. You can’t read an opponent to pass this test. You must predict what will happen and when,” said Saria.

Another object bounced off me.

“It’s difficult,” I said.

“Do you want to stop?”

“No. I need to work this out.”

Another object bounced off me.

I searched for when and where the next projectile was. Nothing...

Another object bounced off me.

I sighed.

Saria removed my blindfold. I saw multiple launcher devices around the sparring mat. There were several balls on the floor.

Laine remained at the edge of the sparring mat. She shrugged and grinned at me.

“Captain, that last test was for precognitive ability,” said Saria.

“These devices launched projectiles randomly, so you can’t tell by reading our minds,” said Laine.

“Thank you. I guess we’ve learned my limits.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close