Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 19: Diplomacy

Both ambassadors looked at me.

“Ambassadors, we arrived in this system and convinced the occupying Tikaani to leave. Now, we must restore the Oysian system. That’s a bigger project than we can do alone,” I said.

“And you asked Dentra for help,” said Kazem.

“Your prompt arrival does you credit. Be advised that I also asked Quard for help. I expect they’ll arrive in a few days,” I said.

“How can we help, Captain Brian?” asked Kazem.

“Oysian needs allies who can help provide security until they get back on their feet. I can’t promise to be around when another threat happens,” I said.

“I’m authorized to grant such a request. Dentra will gladly sign an alliance with the Oysians, and we will assist with their security.”

Ambassador Leo Atka looked shocked.

“Ambassador, I am grateful beyond measure. I look forward to a long and fruitful alliance,” said Leo Atka.

“I understand your situation exactly, because recently, we faced the same problem,” said Kazem.

“You faced invasion?”

“Yes, a hostile race attacked our system. The Baglogi defeated them, and helped restore our system defences,” said Kazem.

“That explains your prompt arrival. Captain, you mentioned you also asked Quard for help?” said Leo Atka.

“Yes, you need several allies. Strength in numbers,” I said.

“I see the wisdom in your words.”

“There are races who are predators. You need to be strong to defend against them, to prevent against future invasion.”

“Agreed. I have a suggestion,” said Leo Atka.

“Go on, Ambassador,” I said.

“Instead of multiple bilateral agreements, might we form a single multi-way alliance?” he asked.

“Yes, yes, that sounds an excellent idea!” said Kazem.

“And further, Let’s call this The Baglogi Alliance, in honour of our saviours.

“I concur, Ambassador! Dentra will gladly join this Baglogi alliance. The very name will strike fear in the hearts of enemies!”

“I’m surprised and honoured, ambassadors. How would this alliance work?” I asked.

“It would include all the usual elements, such as mutual support and trade. When we add another system, all current members would need to approve,” said Kazem.

I smiled. This sounded better than I’d hoped.

“Each member gets a seat on an alliance council. We need to have procedures to resolve disputes. The alliance needs to adjust to changes,” said Leo Atka.

“What about our existing alliances?” I asked.

“In most cases, the new alliance will replace them. Once we have a council, we can review them on a case-by-case basis,” said Leo Atka.

“This sounds amazing,” I said.

“I’d be glad to prepare a draft agreement, but we should wait for Quard before we commit to anything, though,” said Kazem.

“That would be excellent. We can work together on the draft until Quard arrives,” said Leo Atka.

“Please note that ambassador Leo Atka is staying aboard as our guest. I offer our vessel as a temporary embassy until they get themselves sorted out,” I said.

“I understand, Captain. This meeting has been most productive.”

“Now, if you’ll permit me, I invite you to share a meal aboard,” I said.

Both ambassadors nodded.

“Ship, please inform Laine we’ll be there soon,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.


A long way from the Oysian system, multiple vessels arrived at the Tikaani system.

Aboard the lead vessel, the consoles on the bridge came to life.

“Captain, we’ve regained control,” said a Tikaani bridge officer.

“At last! Check in with system control, set course for Tikaani Prime,” said the captain.

“Yes, Sir! Don’t you want to return to the Oysian system?”

“Hmm, try to bring up a course back to the Oysian system.”

The officer pressed keys on his console. It made a strange bleep and refused to comply. He tried to plot a course and got the same result.

“Sir, I’m unable to plot a course.”

“I thought as much. If they could disable our vessels, I doubt they’d let us return so easily,” said the captain.

“Sir, the Oysian system is completely gone from our navigation database!”

“It’s probably for the best. They destroyed several of our best warships. Just let it be. Take us in to Tikaani Prime. Signal the fleet to do the same.”

“Yes, Sir!”

The Tikaani vessels moved in formation towards their home planet. Unknown to them, their vessels spread a computer virus to other vessels throughout the system. Before they reached Tikaani Prime, it quietly removed all knowledge of the Oysian system.


Dinner went well that evening. The ambassadors and the Oysian guests enjoyed the meal. The mood was light, now that everything was moving in a positive direction.

I sat back and listened to our dinner guests. Melyar told the ambassadors of their rescue and the liberation. It sounded more elaborate than I remembered.

Ambassador Leo Atka turned to me.

“Captain, our entire people owe you and your crew a life-debt,” he said.

I sighed.

“You owe us nothing. As allies, any member is required to help any other member.”

Jem grinned at me across the table.

“Huh?” I said psychically.

“Nothing...” she replied.

“On Dentra, Her Royal Highness granted Captain Brian a unique title. We later learned it got him in trouble,” said Kazem.

“On Oysian Major, we don’t have a monarchy, and we don’t give out titles. As allies, we hope to pay it forward, though,” said Leo Atka.

I think he saw the relief on my face. I didn’t want any titles.

“Thank you, ambassador. I look forward to seeing that day.”

He nodded.

“Perhaps then you can retire. You’re welcome to make Oysian Major your home.”

“Or perhaps you’d like to live on Dentra. Her Royal Highness would be glad to see you,” said Kazem with a grin.

“I’ve no plans to retire soon,” I said.

“I’m relieved to hear that, Captain. There’s always a need for our services,” said Jem.

“Agreed, Commodore,” I said.

Soon, Cathy fetched a tray from the kitchen.

“I prepared a special dish for you all to try. I call it Coffee Cake,” she said.

“Oh, I remember that. It goes well with our favourite beverage,” I said.

Laine brought another tray, loaded with cups of coffee, to the table. While Cathy handed out portions of coffee cake, Laine ensured everyone had a coffee to go with it.

“Why, this is delicious!” said Leo Atka.

Soon, we were enjoying our cake and coffee.


The next day, Ship alerted me.

“Attention, a Quard vessel arrived in the system,” said Ship.

“Hail them when they’re in range,” I said.

“Lieutenant Saria has already directed me to do the same,” replied Ship.

“Of course. She’s in charge of system control. How long before they arrive in orbit?”

“They’ll arrive in about two hours, Captain.”

I left my cabin in search of the ambassadors. A short walk brought me to the meeting room. Both Leo Atka from Oysian and Kazem from Dentra were there.

“Hello, Captain Brian,” said Leo Atka.

“How goes the alliance documents?” I asked.

“We’re doing well! Ambassador Kazem prepared the draft agreement. Now, we’re working on the rest,” he replied.

“Fantastic news,” I said.

“If you have a separate alliance with another race, and they have a dispute with other members of the alliance, you’re to remain neutral,” said Leo Atka.

“Of course, we encourage all members to resolve disputes through diplomatic channels,” said Kazem.

“I like that. Disputes between members can erode unity,” I said.

“We nominated the Baglogi to be chair of the council. You’ll act as binding arbitrator, unless you’re the party in dispute,” said Kazem.

I smiled.

“That fits with our mandate to resolve disputes and reinforce harmony within the alliance,” I said.

“I think that current and future members probably owe the Baglogi. Your words carry weight,” said Leo Atka.

“You should add something to encourage members to find resolutions before we’re forced to step in. It reflects on their maturity,” I said.

“You don’t want a bunch of bickering systems wasting your time and energy,” said Kazem.

“We’ve enough work fighting external enemies. If your system were under attack, you wouldn’t want us to be delayed elsewhere arbitrating disputes between what should be allies,” I said.

“Writing procedures and policies is hard work!” said Leo Atka.

“In a few hours, Quard will arrive. Perhaps they can help share the load,” I said.

“That’s good news,” said Kazem. “We have long been allies with Quard.”

“I asked for their help. They owe the Baglogi some favours,” I said.

“As I already said, your words carry significant weight,” said Leo Atka.

“I’m hoping they’ll join the alliance. At the least, they’ll help patrol your system until you get some vessels of your own,” I said.

“I fear that may take a while. The Tikaani destroyed our shipyards,” said Leo Atka.

I hadn’t told him of my plans to build a few vessels for them.


A few hours later, the Quard vessel entered orbit around Oysian Major. A Quard shuttle docked with Ship soon after.

I brought the two ambassadors to the airlock. I also asked Laine and Saria to join me. We all waited for the airlock to open.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close