Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 20: Leaving Oysian

“Welcome to your new Baglogi embassy. This is a gift from us, in gratitude for your service,” said the ambassador.

I looked at Jem, who shrugged.

“Thank you for such a generous gift,” I said.

“We’re not a monarchy, and we don’t convey titles. The embassy has residences, so whenever you visit, you have a place to stay,” he said.

“But we don’t have beings to staff it with, or to maintain it,” I said.

“Many Oysians volunteered to serve in your embassy, more than the positions available. We vetted and selected the best, but you can replace who you please.”

I felt rather uncomfortable.

“We didn’t liberate your planet for a ransom. You owe us nothing,” I said.

“We understand, Captain. As allies and friends, it’s permissible to give gifts. This is a token of our gratitude. We also hope the embassy will further cement our alliance with the Baglogi and others.”

“Captain, perhaps you should let the Ambassador give us a tour of our new embassy,” said Jem.

I nodded. It was time to accept graciously their gift and move on.

We followed the ambassador through the security checkpoint at the entrance.

Saria examined the security provided. I made a mental note to tell her we couldn’t upgrade it to Baglogi tech.

“As of today, these grounds are Baglogi sovereign territory,” said the ambassador.

I smiled. A little home away from home.

After showing us around the embassy, ambassador Leo Atka brought us to an enormous meeting room.

Inside, ambassador Kazem and ambassador Brunkle waited.

“Ambassadors,” I said.

“Captain Brian, we came here to formalize the new Baglogi alliance. All the documents are ready to sign,” said Kazem.

Ambassador Leo Atka turned to me.

“I thought this was the perfect venue for the occasion. I hope you don’t mind,” he said.

“No, Ambassador, I don’t mind. You are correct,” I said.

“This is being broadcast around the planet. The day we unite as founding members of the new Baglogi alliance.”

“Let’s continue then,” I said.

We held a brief impromptu ceremony and declared the alliance of the four founding members: Oysian, Baglogi, Dentra, and Quard.

After that, everyone was congratulating each other.

“I believe we’ve begun something special here. As we add more friendly systems to the alliance, we ensure the security and prosperity of all members. It makes our job easier,” said Jem.

“I agree, Commodore,” said ambassador Kazem. “I’ll be returning home to report the good news to Her Royal Highness.”

“Please send her our respects and thanks,” said Jem.

“Of course, Commodore. Dentra will establish its own embassy here soon.”

“You’re welcome to make use of our embassy until then. The same goes for you, Ambassador Brunkle,” said Jem.

He bowed to her in response.

“You are most kind,” he said.

“Captain Brian, we hoped this meeting room could be suitable for alliance council meetings,” said ambassador Leo Atka.

“The room is more than suitable. I’m not sure we can be present that often,” I said.

“I think your presence is important during the formative years of the alliance,” said ambassador Brunkle.

“Captain. Melyar would make a good ambassador,” Yuhi sent to me.

I turned to look at Yuhi, who blinked at me.

“Is she qualified?” I asked.

“She trained in the Oysian diplomatic core and planned to follow in her father’s footsteps.”

I smiled.

“Melyar,” I said. She stood next to Cathy in the back. When she heard her name, she looked at me.

“Captain?” she asked.

“The Baglogi need an ambassador to run this embassy and occupy our seat on the alliance council,” I said.

Her eyes lit up and a big grin formed. I looked briefly at Jem, who nodded.

“Would you be willing to accept this role? Your priority would be all members of the alliance, not just Oysians,” I asked.

“Of course I’m willing. I’ve been training to be a diplomat.”

I called Ship on my communicator.

“Ship, we have appointed Melyar as our ambassador, serving at our new embassy on Oysian Major.”

“Confirmed. I will update her status.”

“Now we’ll need to update your ID chip. We can handle that back at the shuttle,” I said.

“No need, Captain,” said Laine. She had an ID scanner in her hand, to my surprise.

Soon we had a new ambassador. Ambassador Leo Atka approached and hugged his daughter.

“Daughter, you have exceeded me! I look forward to working with you in the alliance council meetings,” he said.

“That’s Ambassador Melyar from now on,” she replied and giggled.

Then Saria came over and whispered in my ear.


“Ambassador Leo Atka, please take us all back to the spaceport. Can you have Captain Enyon and any surviving crews join us there?” I asked.

He looked puzzled.

“Is everything alright?” he asked.

“Yes, it’s getting even better, so keep the video broadcast going,” I replied.

“Of course,” he said, sounding a little flustered. At least he had the grace to go with my request.

After a few moments, and several words in Oysian, we concluded our business in the new alliance council room. We returned via the main entrance to the ground transport vehicles.

Melyar sat beside me in the vehicle.

“So, do I report to you now, Captain?” she asked.

“If it helps you. Study the alliance documents. Use that as your mandate. Your actions will impact multiple systems,” I said.

“Yes, Captain.”

“See if you can add more systems into the alliance. Invite the Ori Confederation, and the Asan. Get the other ambassadors to nominate others. There’s strength in numbers,” I said.

“That’s a huge task.”

“Hire more staff, ask the other ambassadors for help. Share the load.”

“Understood.”

We arrived at the spaceport. Everyone exited the vehicles and entered. I walked through to the landing pads.

“Is Captain Enyon here yet?” I asked ambassador Leo Atka.

“He’s on his way, plus several former crew members, the ones not killed by the Tikaani,” he said.

“Thank you.”

“Is this what I’m thinking it is?” he asked.

“How would I know? It’s not like I’m psychic,” I said in jest.

He smiled. I looked across the crowd at Saria and gave a brief nod. Then I saw her saying something to her communicator.

We waited for a few minutes. Finally, Captain Enyon and several other crew members arrived. They’d need to recruit new crews, but that wasn’t my problem.

Captain Enyon walked up to me.

“You wanted to speak to me, Captain?” he asked.

“Yes. Look up,” I said. I pointed at a speck in the sky. It was gradually getting larger.

We watched until a shuttle landed.

“That looks like one of ours!” said Captain Enyon. Ambassador Leo Atka looked at the shuttle and me with wide eyes. I grinned.

Our group approached the shuttle.

“Captain, there’s a new Oysian vessel in orbit. Assemble your crew and take the shuttle. It’s yours to command,” I said.

“But how??” asked Ambassador Leo Atka.

“We destroyed multiple Tikaani vessels. We built a new vessel from the debris. It awaits a captain and crew,” I said.

“This is incredible!! We expected to take years to restore our fleet.”

“Of course, you need to recruit more crews. There are more vessels in production,” I said.

The ambassador nodded, still in shock. Captain Enyon had gathered his crew and stepped into the shuttle. We moved back to a safe distance.

Soon, the crowd watched the shuttle take off and ascend into orbit.

Ambassador Kazem approached me.

“You built a vessel in a few days? Impressive,” he said.

“We set up an automated manufacturing facility, and the Tikaani provided raw materials,” I said.

“Another Baglogi miracle,” he said.

I smiled. We had to restore their defences quickly, or we’d be stuck here.

I turned to ambassador Leo Atka.

“Once Captain Enyon has command of his vessel, we’ll transfer Oysian system control to him. He can coordinate with the Dentra and Quard vessels to protect your system,” I said.

“This is unbelievable! I’m overwhelmed.”

“It is what allies do. Now, what’s next on the agenda?” I asked.

We returned to the ground transport vehicles.


Our ground transport vehicles took us to another location in their city, where a huge building stood. It showed signs of weapons damage on the exterior.

“This is our government headquarters,” said ambassador Leo Atka.

We followed him inside and into a large area. By the entrance stood a line of Oysians waiting to greet us.

“The Tikaani killed many of our government, and we’ve not yet replaced them. These are the survivors,” said the ambassador.

“Understood.”

I walked along the line and greeted each. Not everyone spoke Ori, but they all expressed gratitude for removing the Tikaani. Ambassador Leo Atka moved back and forth, introducing everyone. He knew all their names.

Eventually, we all attended a celebration banquet. The Baglogi crew, the ambassadors, Melyar and her father sat at a table on a raised area.

As they served food, several beings gave speeches. At one point, ambassador Leo Atka asked if I would say a few words. I grabbed my drink and took it with me to the lectern.

“I’m honoured to be with you today, speaking on a liberated Oysian Major. We came as soon as we learned of your plight, and we did all we could to rid you of the Tikaani.

“I wish we could have arrived sooner. Far too many Oysians died. Many families are shattered. I tell you we took action to ensure that they cannot return. But others might seek to take advantage of your weakened state.

“To make Oysian secure, we formed an alliance with like-minded races. Together you will survive challenges, and work together for a more prosperous future.

“I’m unsure of your customs, but it’s my custom to drink to the memory of those who died. They died heroes, and they deserved to be remembered. I raise a drink to the fallen.”

I then lifted my drink and waited. Everyone at our table stood and did the same. Soon everyone stood with a drink in their hand. I then drank until it was empty.

“Never forget their sacrifice...”

After a solemn moment, I returned to my seat. I noticed Melyar look at me and nod.


After the banquet, we spent more time saying goodbye to our hosts. Finally, we returned to the spaceport and to our shuttle.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close